When Donkeys Fly: Michael Bradley at Chievo, pt 1 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bungadiri, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are saying Mike is a cunning linguist?

2. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seven months of immersion in a country should get him to a good level, but I strongly doubt he is fluent, considering his presumable lack of knowledge of Italian or another romance language previously. Although, he does have experience learning a 2nd and 3rd language which probably did progress him more rapidly. Definitions and degrees of "fluency" can also be debated ad nauseam. Anyway, good on Michael for his accomplishments on and off the field. He is a true professional.

3. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but it is not your forum so I think we'll discuss what we like in a thread about Michael Bradley. This thread is about him. And as you can see by the conversation with several people participating, his language skills seem to be of interest. Plus, it definitely helps his play in many ways. It's not like they were talking about something completely off topic, which often happens.

4. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
  5. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should check the Chandler thread out. The month of March has been solely dedicated to proper spelling of Nuremberg and the uses of the umlaut.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Man - its OT but I think Japanese is a whole lot harder than Chinese - at least as an English speaker. Koreans probably think it's not so bad compared to English.

7. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Chinese is tonal, Japanese isn't. Makes Chinese much harder in my book. My wife is Chinese and I can't even consistently hit the right tone when I'm saying her name! But yeah, those are examples of unrelated languages to English and other European languages. Most of the European ones are incestuous by comparison, if we're talking degrees of relation.

8. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Man -darin?

9. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Most Europeans are incestuous anyway. Maybe that's why Europe seems to be a good place for a guy who used to play for his father.

10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Tones make Chinese harder than it would be without tones, but it doesn't make it harder to learn than Japanese. Chinese is Tarzan language. Tones are a difficult concept for English speakers, but not particularly difficult to study or learn. I look forward to MB playing in the J-League and conducting interviews in Japanese ;)

11. Major Major

Major Major Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Colorado
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While that graph is interesting, I really do think it comes down to personal ability. I have studied both Spanish and Russian and, honestly, Russian was just as easy to pick up as Spanish.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the......?

I'm really surprised by that. I only took a year of high school but studying French after Russian was like just memorizing a few different words. The grammar is so intuitive to an English speaker in French. In Russian a slight change of ending makes "I love horseradish sauce" into "I love giving oral sex" :eek: Always a good dinner conversation.

13. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Anyway! Great Bradley freekick on the first Chievo goal. Was it registered as his assist?

14. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, dude. We are trying to have a discussion about language acquisition here.

15. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Oops, excusez moi for interrupting.

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States