When Big Sam is your backup plan - OTT 36 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Huh?

To quote an old sig of mine. "If you have to use another sport for an analogy. You don't get it!" :)

2. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to post almost this exact thing. :)

Seriously though, safe standing at all the grounds would make a huge difference to the atmosphere at grounds.

usscouse repped this.
  3. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'd say out of the hundreds of games I've attended at Anfield only about a dozen were seated. I'd love areas in the front of the Kop and Annie Road to be standing. It wasn't so much the safety issue that brought on all seating. It was to control the hooligan gangs.
    I don't think in this day and age a few thousand standing down in front would be unsafe. The atmosphere would definitely be better.

4. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People stand anyway and with seats, its actually less safe than if they had the rail seating.

SamScouse repped this.
  5. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It was said in days of yore that the Kop held 15,000 standing.
    On our very first International Night against Inter Milan they say there were 21,000 and me there.
    At times as the crowd heaved and swayed, I would be squeezed up off the concrete. Wierd feeling levitating.

6. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    One match, a cup game with Cardiff City Every time they attacked the Welsh twit behind me would leap up, to do that he had to come forward to clear his seat so he was all over me. Don't know what he had in his jacket pockets but they'd clap my ears every time. We had a chat about it and it stopped. Can't blame a guy getting excited at a match.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LOL. I remember at the end of the game - if you didn't wait for the crowd to thin out, you'd get lifted up off your feet and carried along as the crowd moved forward. tough luck if you wanted to go in a different direction. funny now, but pretty scary then ....

8. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    :) those were the days. Happened a lot alongside the Kop in that passageway. I weighed about 230 then over 16 stone.

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ah, the good old days. sigh ...... :)

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  11. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    that sounds a bit harsh - why would you say that?

:p:p:p

13. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I hope this escalates into a huge distraction for Oil Citeh over the next month:

Pep is a Cowardly Dog - Raiola

http://www.espn.com/soccer/manchest...rdiola-is-a-cowardly-dog-and-zero-as-a-person

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Red Bird repped this.
  15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't much care for all these old school insults-- what are we in the 1870s? As for his client, I struggle to see him when we played Inter both at Anfield and San Siro in the Champions League. Not worth the hype and shown up at Barcelona.

16. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An agent whining is news? :)

17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, maybe not. The ego's on these coaches will probably mean Pep will respond, and then so on. If it becomes a distraction I'm all for it. If it doesn't - then the bus welcome will be the distraction in any event (that and the atmosphere at Anfield).

18. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He likely won't. This story came out some time ago when Ibrahimovic failed to cut the mustard at Barcelona after that block-buster of a move, and was looking for a scapegoat. Guardiola completely ignored him.

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yeah, I remember being in Camp Nou when Ibra was introduced to the crowd. We got carried in along with the crowd when they threw open the gates. They claimed 75k in there.
    ( Just bragging. :))
    It didn't take long for the love affair to sour when Ibra didn't fit with Pep's ticka tacka tactics.

20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let’s see if it happens again. Raiola is using the LA move To bring this back up. I don’t care either way - just would love conflict.

21. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    VirgilvD scores for Neds after our old pal Ryan Babel clinched it against CrYNaldo...who cried to the ref for a pen after he missed the ball and kicked the ground!

22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    babel. bloody hell. he's 31. who'da thunk he'd be playing for the Dutch team again?

23. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Babel got a call up. Didn't see that coming.

24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    don't know if anyone did. is that a reflection of his recent form, or the lack of quality options for the Dutch team these days?

it's strange either way. they're not in the WC so you'd expect them to be developing young players for Euro 2020, WC 2022 and so on - not bringing players back who are a couple of years from retirement ..... especially in friendly games.

25. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nice to see all the young faces on the 'Merican side lining up against Paraguay...except for the "interim" coach...who looks bit...older...