When are my kids going to stop getting me sick?

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by chad, Nov 4, 2007.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My oldest is 4 and a half and in her second year of school. My little one is 9 months old.

Will I ever develop immunity to all the garbage they catch? I mean, what the ********!?!?!?!

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bright side, 300 years ago, you wouldn't be getting sick from your kids, because if you hadn't gotten immunity yourself when young, you'd be dead.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never. They will bring home crap from school until they stop coming home from school. Sure, eventually they'll stop being so generous about sharing their bodily fluids with you, but I still catch colds from my HS-er because we share the same computer keyboard.

Wash your hands like a mother-********er, all day long.

4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Man, Chad, do I ever sympathize. My wife and I spent yesterday crashed out at home, sick as dogs.

5. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, I coach about 25 10yos, four times a week. Plus, I have my own daughter and godson over all the time.

I'm a walking sinus cold. :(

6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oy vey.

At least this time it's just a cold.

7. FRYE!

FRYE! New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    KC
    i've got two sick ones at home too. it's a never-ending cycle of sickness. once they get well, we're sick and vice versa. it'll go on like this till one day we wake up and it's spring time, the birds are singing and then the allergies hit!

8. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man... everyone in Chicago has gotten this one! EVERYONE!

Lasts a bit too. It's weird.

9. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    BTW, if you haven't, take off the keys off your keyboard and clean underneath. Did that the other day and it was disgusting.

10. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    My wife teaches junior high.

I coach 17 15-year-olds.

We have an 8-year-old.

We have a two-year-old.

I cannot overstate the importance of everyone washing hands and hand sanitizing to near compulsive levels.

(And people will still get sick, but it'll cut back on some of the misery.)

11. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Best thing to do is to constantly ensure your children wash their hands correctly. Most kids just use a bit of water and no soap. Teach them to wash their hands for 15 seconds. But, there's no way to avoid the germs and viruses they get. With so many children in schools passing around germs daily..your child will get his/her fair share of cold etc.

And becoming sick due to your child being sick is all about being a parent. You can't neglect your child when they become sick...you have to be there to help them get better...and if it means getting sick as well...then so be it.

12. missforzaroma

missforzaroma New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Teach your children how germs are spread or what they can do while they are at school so they dont get sick. Like not drinking from the water fountain, or washing their hands after going to the bathroom. Make sure they cover their mouth when they cough ect. If you teach your children young, when they get older it will be habit for them. Ya when ur child gets sick of course u are going to get sick and there is nothing u really can do. U have to be there for your child. The only thing you can do is just try your best to disinfect everything and anything on a regular basis when ur child is sick.

13. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    And kids are more common to develop colds etc as their immune systems are not as strong as adults. At least that's what i think...i could be wrong though. But in today's generation, we are seeing many more parents using disinfect liquids on their children's hands.

14. DemiChika

DemiChika New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    How do you know? Were you around 300 years ago?

15. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, well, now you're just being silly.

16. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I didn't mean that literally :) I meant that you have to be there for your child whether they are sick or not. And if you develop the sickness as a result, so be it. A child is always number one in your life.

17. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The worst and most ironic aspect of this is that it usually goes like this:

1* Kids get sick
    2* Parents get sick
    3* Parents need to rest, but can't because no babysitter in their right mind will enter a home full of people who are vomiting and running fevers

18. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ^That's where grandparents, family comes in place. My niece was sick 2 weeks ago....now my sister is sick...so my niece was over my house yesterday.

19. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    godammit.

they got me again.

20. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
  21. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My whole family has pinkeye right now. Thanks son!

22. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can think of is the movie "Knocked Up". :D

23. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I'll have to say that school is the place where you catch most things. I graduated last summer, and I haven't been sick even once! Its crazy, I used to get a cold at least 3 times a year. Its been over 9 months since my last cold! :)

24. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm in school, around kids, around friends that are always sick, and usually walk around with my jacket open in the tri state winter and I havent been sick in 2 years.

[​IMG]

:cool:

25. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have got to be kidding. Both my parents and my in-laws stay far away when my kids are sick. And if any of them gets sick within a few days of a visit under normal conditions, they blame it on my kids.