Wheddon named as goalkeeping coach for USWNT

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by phats_away, Sep 21, 2002.

1. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    http://espn.go.com/soccer/news/1999/0907/43455.html
    Wheddon named as goalkeeping coach for USWNT
    CHICAGO -- Phil Wheddon was hired Thursday as goalkeeper coach for the U.S. women's national soccer team.

Wheddon joins the team after spending two years with the Boston Breakers of the WUSA as their top assistant and goalkeeper coach.

Wheddon will assist head coach April Heinrichs with various other projects, including youth national teams, coaching education units and symposiums.

``I'm thrilled to have Phil on our staff,'' said Heinrichs. ``He's paid his dues by working in the college, professional and national teams program for several years and he's one of the best coaches I've seen train female goalkeepers. Phil's calm demeanor, articulate nature and excellence in coaching goalkeepers will be a great asset.''

Before joining the Breakers, Wheddon was the goalkeeper coach for the MetroStars of Major League Soccer, where he trained Tim Howard, a member of the 2000 U.S. Olympic team. Wheddon also worked at Southern Connecticut State University, helping the men's team win Division II national titles in 1998 and 1999.

``I'm excited about the opportunity to work with some of the best goalkeepers and players in the world,'' said Wheddon. ``It's a very important time for women's soccer and the U.S. national team, with qualifying approaching and the Women's World Cup coming in China. I am looking forward to the challenge of helping the USA win the world championship in 2003.''