What's your take on USMNT preference for MLS?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DHC1, Apr 15, 2019.

?

What's your take on USMNT preference for MLS?

1. There's absolutely no preference

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. There's a preference - it's deserved because they fit better with the system

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. There's a preference - it's deserved because they're better players

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Way too early to say if there's a preference

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Not ready to indict but early signs are ominous that there's an MLS bias

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  6. It's obviously a bias and it's bad for the USMNT

53 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    This is a really great question and I'm glad you asked it.

I would rather have seen some of the following over some of the MLSers.

Lichaj, Horvath, Nova, Andrew Wooten, CCV, and Hyndman.

Let's go like for like instead of seeing:

Daniel Lovitz, Tyler Miller, Jordan Morris/Zardes/or one of each Nova/Wooten or Zardes, Morris, Omar Gonzalez, and Roldan.

Namdynamo and honest trade repped this.
  2. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to recall results for RB being very different with Adams playing vs without. He's a class player now and might, as you say, reach savior level later. There is no question in my mind that he makes a difference against Gold Cup level opposition.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    No doubt he's a good and even influential player, and I hope I'm wrong, but having watched a number of his games this year, I don't know that he's yet the guy who changes the team's entire vibe. But again, I'd be thrilled to be under appreciating him at this point.

What might work as a serious "multiplier" for him is getting a bit more time with CP and Wes. If the 3 of them click, it could be a different story.

4. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    #179 The411, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Yikes, Bradley and Altidore are hot garbage.
    Sentimentality is for losers.

The coaches in the US are clueless as is the federation for that matter. The fact that Cordeiro won the USSF vote after the worst debacle in US Soccer history tells all you need to know about how ********ing stupid the “decision makers” are in US Soccer.

They just give a shit about raking in their money.

Master O and Marius Tresor repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The thing about Cordeiro is this. He won the election.

Then he hired somebody who should be pretty good, Earnie Stewart, to do the coaching search. He's somebody who has been a general manager at a successful club in Europe and also knows the domestic game.

And then he basically got out of the way.

I understand that Stewart's coaching search was a fiasco, and so far the USMNT has been a fiasco............but that really has little to nothing to do with Cordeiro.

OfficeSpace repped this.
  6. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Not sure why Cordeiro is absolved.... the guy knows sweet FA about running an organization properly and the Stewart appointment showed that.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The signal to noise ratio in this post is...not good.

8. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    May well be but it doesn’t make it any less true. Apathy has set in which is even more troubling. For me, I’m fortunate that I’m a dual citizen and that my other team is Belgium. Most do not have the luxury of dual citizenship with a country playing top level soccer.

Thing will not change by just replacing Sunil with his stooge, Cordeiro. The whole voting was a vote to preserve self interest in the financial windfall keeping the same structure in place.

It is amazing that people keep having the wool pulled over their eyes. USSF is just as morally bankrupt and corrupt as its parent organizations.

If US wants to be serious about competing it has to tap into the entire resource of athletes. I say this as someone who grew up in a well to do area.

The best talent needs to be developed whether its Johnny Smith in Greenwich CT or Bobby Jones in Detroit.

9. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the guy you hire is sucking it up, you gotta take that hit too. It's why Earnie looking like a doofus with his 1 year long 4 man search causes Cordeiro to also look bad. Just like Sunil had to answer for his bad appointments.

The same people running the USSF with Sunil are the exact same with Carlos, so the same issues are occurring. He is not doing a good job of correcting those or at the very least acknowledging and getting a plan together.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  10. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    No, they're not.

Get a hold of yourself.

11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Where is your evidence of this complete lack of desire?

btlove repped this.
  12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting Adams at #5 is a no-brainer.... To start with, it is addition by subtraction [goodbye Trapp].... but more importantly, I watched every televised RB game this year and I was blown away at how good he was by season's end. IMO, he is arguably our best player... put him in his ideal spot and you will have gains on both sides of the ball. In short, he should be the anchor this team builds around for 2022.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm 100% in favor of playing him in central midfield. I'm not 100% convinced yet that he is going to be the game changer at this point some hope he will be. And I 100% continue to hope I'm wrong.

14. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    Only years and years of reports and the at least one instance that I can remember of him turning down a call-up.

superdave repped this.
  15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Which reports?

btlove repped this.
  16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will give you that. He is still so young... he could flash and never pan out. He does look like the best 5 we have right now though and he has the possibility of being truly special.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm not even suggesting he doesn't pan out - I just think, given what I saw this season, that while he will be a huge contributor he might not be the "anchor" right out of the gate. He is still very young.

That said, used properly, a midfield of him, Wes, CP should have a certain talent level and I'm really hoping he makes me eat a big plate of crow.

My prediction - he adds a lot to this team - esp. in terms of energy and quickness and nose for the ball - but isn't the huge, instant upgrade over MB or Trapp that some hope for/dream of.

18. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    https://sbisoccer.com/2012/10/chandler-not-called-up-by-klinsmann-for-qualifiers/comment-page-1

After repeated attempts to call him into the U.S. Men’s National team this year, only to be turned down on more than one occasion, It appears U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsmann has grown tired of Timmy Chandler’s unwillingness to commit to the U.S. national team.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/05/...dler-ready-to-commit-to-us-national-team.html

But since then, Chandler had become a source of frustration for coaches and fans by repeatedly declining to play for the American team in important competitions.

It began when he turned down the chance to play for the United States in the 2011 Gold Cup, citing fatigue after his first Bundesliga season. In 2012, after Jurgen Klinsmann replaced Bradley as the United States coach, Chandler did not take part in the initial stage of World Cup qualifying. Since the Gold Cup and the qualifiers were official competitions, Chandler’s decision to opt out of both after playing in friendlies fueled speculation that he was keeping his options open to play for Germany.

superdave repped this.
  19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are serious holes on this team... particularly at D and striker.. Some of the talent is still a few years away... some of it is in Europe and being passed on for MLS players. Either way you look at it I would agree.... putting him at his natural position won't solve everything... You have to question whether he is already a better option than Trapp/Bradley... and I think yes.... but right now, maybe not by leaps and bounds. However, you play him there and let him develop w/ the goal towards him being "that guy" by the time the team is playing for their 2022 WC lives.

freisland repped this.
  20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t play this game. It doesn’t fit your join date.

21. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    It's almost as if people with older join dates don't automatically know more about the problem than those with recent dates.

22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    So with Adam's out and Cannon in, the only potential reinforcements after that sh!t show on Sunday are CP and MB. This could be ugly.

Preliminary observations that I will be looking for confirmation:
    • Berhalter/Stewart/whoever have poorly selected the side,
    • The euro based group is much more talented than the MLS players,
    • American players in MLS arent very good
    Euro...
    1-Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 9/0)
    19-Matt Miazga (Chelsea/ENG; 13/1)
    20-Duane Holmes (Derby County/ENG; 1/0),
    8-Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 8/1),
    10-Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 25/10)
    21-Tyler Boyd (Vitória Guimãres/POR; 0/0)
    13-Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 29/1)

MLS...
    12-Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 7/0)
    22-Tyler Miller (LAFC; 0/0)
    3-Omar Gonzalez (Toronto FC/CAN; 50/3)
    2-Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 3/0)
    23-Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 5/0)
    16-Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 4/0)
    5-Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 6/2)
    4-Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 145/17)
    15-Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 10/0)
    6-Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 16/0)
    17-Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 110/41)
    7-Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 22/3)
    18-Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; 4/0)
    11-Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 27/5)
    9-Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 44/7)
    ??-Reggie Cannon (FCD;1/0)

23. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fugg... I guess Adams at #5 is currently a moot point. I am not at all excited about anyone on the roster other than CP, Weston and Tyler Boyd. Hopefully Miazga can shape up.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #199 DHC1, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Thank you for the articles.

However, these are articles discussing Chandler potentially choosing between representing Germany or the US as opposed to ones discussing what’s he’s done since he committed to the USMNT.

The latter is the one that is matters as the first is in a completely different context.

Are there articles since 2013 that support your assertion?

25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #200 DHC1, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    What I recall is discussions when he was “choosing” between us and Germany and then articles that gave him a hard time for telling Wood to be mindful of his contractual obligations to his club team and how avoiding a long-term injury would be in his interest (which in hindsight is 100% true).

If there are actually reports beyond that, i’ll update my perspective. It won’t be the first nor the last time I change my viewpoint on BS.