What's your take on USMNT preference for MLS?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DHC1, Apr 15, 2019.

?

What's your take on USMNT preference for MLS?

1. There's absolutely no preference

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. There's a preference - it's deserved because they fit better with the system

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. There's a preference - it's deserved because they're better players

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Way too early to say if there's a preference

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Not ready to indict but early signs are ominous that there's an MLS bias

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  6. It's obviously a bias and it's bad for the USMNT

53 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    I didn't watch the second half of the Bundesliga season so I don't know how Adams played in his dozen or so appearances.

Gregg Berhalter is paid to know these things. Not me.

What I do know is that Tyler Adams just turned 20 years old and his only caps with the UMSNT have come since November 2017 which is the worst stretch of play since the 1980s.

In other words, neither I nor Gregg Berhalter are as smart as you are.

2. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    No, it was that I don't have the arrogance to claim that I know more than the coach of the USMNT.

When you question everything a coach does, it starts to go beyond questioning and into "knowing more" territory.

3. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    Wood and Johnson would be in my 23 but the Chandler stuff is nonsense.

4. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    Yes, I think your interpretation of what I said was dishonest.

5. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    I said I was agnostic on a single player and you asked if I had the same attitude about the Klinsmann regime.

6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    So why would you think that cutting Donovan was stupid? Do you know more than Klinsmann?

For the record, I would not have cut Donovan, certainly not for the stated reason of quality.

If you think that posters questioning Berhalter’s system and preference for MLS players is questioning “everything a coach does” then I guess I’m guilty as charged.

7. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    He was the all-time leading goal scorer and still one of the best players in the pool.

In other words, not a 20-something who has proven nothing. He was much closer to a Michael Bradley, Jozy Altidore type player.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    That’s besides the point. You said that you wouldn’t be so arrogant to know more than the coach of the USMNT and yet here you are doing that....

9. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    It was my entire point.

10. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    It's as is you don't even read.

I think Klinsmann knew that Donovan was one of the best too but made a petty decision based on a personal spat that he had with him. In other words, not a coaching judgement.

You can disagree with my view on it but not the way I articulated it.

11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    #161 bsky22, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Tyler Adam's became a huge part of the third place team in the Bundesliga. The team conceded just a couple of goals with him on the field. here are few minutes of his highlights. it wouldn't be crazy to suggest that he is already one of the best Dmids this country has ever had.

Namdynamo, btlove and neems repped this.
  12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    @DHC1 , can you take this Prima Donovan discussion to the other thread?

DHC1 repped this.
  13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    has lovitz demonstrated that his best level is better than chandler's worst?

I don't think he has.....

14. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It has been mentioned earlier that if Yedlin and Brooks were healthy they would be in the team. Robinson and ****** are good prospects but both are still very raw and in their chance to earn a spot on the team for the Gold Cup they laid an egg. Not the end of the world for either of them. Ammon has also received some call ups but I think it's clear he is needs some more time.

Now Sargent not making the team is a bit questionable but I get it. I dont like it but I get it. Also disappointing as he has been productive.

But what players in Europe are really being snubbed? Chandler and Danny William's have been hurt. Fabian Johnson has also been in and out of the line up but he also has been on the outs with us for awhile. Wood has also been in poor form both for club and country.That leaves Alfredo Morales, Green, and Sabbi? Maybe Nova or Gall? Because other players that have been talked about are u 20 guys. Who have to break into the first team... and I think we will have an interesting discussion in the next several months as guys like Weah, Soto, and maybe one or two others can be added.

As for MLS players that have been called in? Not thrilled about Omar. I'm indifferent towards Trapp as IMO while he has never been more than average IMO he also hasnt been as bad as some have made him out to be while guys like Lima and Lewis IMO have earned themselves more looks with how they performed in previous camps. Lovitz and Roldan are just kind of there to me

15. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    You're certainly entitled to that opinion but I think that one of the problems with the fan base is that they make claims like this after 10 games.

16. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    The Chandler thing I presume is mostly about his complete lack of desire to play for the USMNT.

At this point it's going on 4-5 years of this so it's not a knee-jerk thing.

17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yet it isnt 10 games. It is watching him evolve at NYRB, him being the most consistent MNT player in 2018, and being dominant in the bundesliga.

If you notice the language I used, I want making that claim, but stating it isnt unreasonable. What is clear is that he is way better than Trapp.

Namdynamo and btlove repped this.
  18. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    Be careful using MLS as a gauge for anything around here.

He was dominant in the Bundesliga? I'll just have to take your word for it.

19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I am very careful about using MLS to judge a player. I havve seen many MLS players flounder at the international level.

You could also watch that video or the many all touch videos done on him. You could look at the teams record with and without him and notice the number of goals conseded.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/tyler-adams/leistungsdaten/spieler/332705

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yikes! Long, Lima, Trapp, Roldan, Arriola, and Zardes are really giving us alarmists something to think about.

21. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The usmnt cannot be run for the sake of MLS self esteem.

22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This must be great for their self esteem. Anybody who knows anything about talent would know putting these players out there is a bad idea.

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    So you say that you wouldn’t be so arrogant to know more than the coach of the USMNT but it’s ok if you criticize a roster choice by the coach of the USMNT because you KNOW that it wasn’t a coaching decision. That’s how you try to talk your way out of hypocrisy?!?!

Lol.

btlove repped this.
  24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    You didn’t answer the question - simply turned a direct question into an attack on me (while trying to infer that Adams is part of the USMNT’s problems).

Also, is Trapp better than Adams as a 6? Apparently Berhalter believes so.

btlove, Namdynamo and adam tash repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I watched a lot of Bundesliga this past year, for all the obvious reason. Tyler Adams is good, but he is not as good/game changing as he is being advertised (due to the current lack of quality in the middle of the field.) He is not likely to live up to his hype here for a few years, imho.

He's a good player, but has not yet had to be a team leader in the way this team needs one.