What's your take on USMNT preference for MLS?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DHC1, Apr 15, 2019.

?

What's your take on USMNT preference for MLS?

1. There's absolutely no preference

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. There's a preference - it's deserved because they fit better with the system

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. There's a preference - it's deserved because they're better players

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Way too early to say if there's a preference

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Not ready to indict but early signs are ominous that there's an MLS bias

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  6. It's obviously a bias and it's bad for the USMNT

53 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    you seem to know nothing about team defending.

1) Long is marking Davies ealier in the play and then just shuts off. He didnt notice that Yedlin was close and pass him off... He just stops marking the opponents best attacker in the middle of the box. Yedlin tracked back and was in position to pick up another runner. Yedlin also looked to be communicating to Long. Why in the world do you think an outside back should drop into the box and mark a guy so a CB could be free. Bradley coughs the ball up, Ream mis hits a ball back to them, Lovitz his playing about four yards off his man, and is doing nothing and reacts late.

2) when there is only one attacker for two CBs, it is simple and basic for the other CB to rotate when his partner steps to win the ball. Long notices late and just says nah, I'll let Ream deal with it because I am in a much better position.

Again, Ream didnt have a good game, but it was Longs naive play that was the issue. You clearly dont understand defensive positioning and reading the game.

Long may have covered for Ream. Can you point at the plays? I listed the play where Long was chasing and didnt recover in time and is was due to his mistake.

You seem make a lot of assertions but have nothing to back it up. Combined with your clear lack of knowledge about the game and convoluted arguments make you one of the most worthless posters on here.

2. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    this is amazing stuff

so you admit I was right long wasn't responsible on both goals and that yedlin did the old 'ur man' right before a guy score thing(the best part was that yedlin did it to cover open space lol). then you do ur typical name calling stuff because ur short on facts. If you had watched the match instead of posting constantly on here you would've seen long chasing reams mistakes all over the pitch.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #428 superdave, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Or, it happened Because central defenders are never finished products at age 20. :rolleyes:

I read this thread for the LOLs. Two sets of extremists firing silly hot takes at one another. It’s like drunk bum fights.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I mean. If you start Horvath, that means you’re putting a Bundesliga starter on the bench.

That’s the German league. Germany is in Yurp.

5. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016

But who started the Cuba game?

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not sure, but I do know he pitched a shutout.

7. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    #432 Sufjan Guzan, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    yeah it was a 35 year old Brad Guzan. Not sure why he should be getting looks above Horvath or any other MLS keeper.

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Cuba match is totally meaningless because Cuba is so horrible. The US pretty much could have played a bunch of U14s and had a 50/50 shot at winning.

Equally meaningless is who started or played against Canada because the worst the US has available is plenty good to beat Canada easily if properly motivated and coached.

If course "properly motivated and coached" is well outside Berhalter's wheelhouse.

It is NOT who played but rather it is about how they were played.

9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    as usual, I didnt say any of that.

Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    who is a central defender in MLS that has improved after their third season? I expect Long to start flatlining. Long is at where Miazga was at 20. The only problem is Long is starting big games over Miazga and his career is going nowhere.

11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    #435 bsky22, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2019
    who said anything about starting Horvath? No problem doing it if he shows it in camp but the MLS filler is crap. The rest of your post has nothing to do with anybodys arguments in this thread.

[personal attack deleted by moderator]

yurch10 repped this.
  12. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    Sure did and the facts prove it read ur posts ur allergic to facts.

I mean if ur arguing for guys like julian green,Ccv,horvath getting a chance I am not sure you understand the question you are trying to answer.

Maxvall repped this.
  13. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    The weird thing about this situation is that the success or failures of the national team directly impacts enthusiasm for MLS. Even if the team has only 1-2 MLS guys featuring, a successful national team equals a more engaged base of soccer fans than anything else. It may be unique to the US, but the national team has always been the driver of the sport's popularity in the US, starting back when for so many years they were the only pro game in town. Their scheme is ass backwards even if you are trying to go at things from their perspective and put MLS first.

Want MLS to be more popular? Make sure the national team is successful and that the smaller number of domestic players who do feature are good enough to make fans proud and interested in MLS . A crap team losing to other also rans all full of MLS products is bad for business. Then again, it's likely back down to that American arrogance and they all assumed this team would be successful with Berhalter and his boys.

Namdynamo and GoBigBlue88 repped this.
  14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was the case back in the early 2000's. Today? Not so much. Between the extortionist prices for national team games, the games being readily available to watch on TV, the buffet of high level pro soccer available on TV and OTT services in the US, and the fact that the national team plays only a handful of times a year....the National Team is just not as popular as it used to be. Sure, the numbers will be HUGE when the US makes another World Cup. Americans love their big world events after all. The Olympics pull huge ratings, yet not that many people are watching the track & field championships and the Downhill Super G world championships.

The National Team being bad hasn't stopped MLS from averaging over 20K fans for its' games......now it may not get the TV numbers some would like, the league has been steadily growing in popularity (&quality of play) for over a decade now. While MLS is far from the best league in the world, it's also quite far from being one of the worst as well.

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yep... I thought 2017 was the worst possible marketing for MLS. Before then, the uber fans could make believe that players like Roldan were much better than they were and nobody really challenged them. Watching those look so poor against concacaf teams and not qualify made it clear they were just over hyped. We are seeing the same thing this year. If we were relying on MLS, the lost generation would be extended another few years.

I supported the league for over 10 years. It stopped when Garber started interfering. I turned against in 2017 when Arena dismantled the team. I cant stand it at this point.

There are many problems with the game in this country. MLS not doing what it was intended to do is probably the biggest.

A successful national team would be great for MLS, instead they are trying to use it to market their players. The result is everybody can see how bad their players (and coaches) are and people are turning against the league.

Namdynamo and Master O repped this.
  16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the way things are going, the USA will not qualify for future world cups ever again (2026 excluded, of course).

The federation is completely out of its mind.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Liga MX and the Premiership is still where the meat is. The quality of the commentary also doesn't do MLS any favors.

18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You guys will say anything. No shame whatsoever. Everybody knows that MLS attendance numbers arent accurate. Not even sure they would be accurate for tickets sold.

Let's take a look at some numbers to see if what you said is true. The leagues peak average attendance was in 2017. Average attendance was down 1.1% and 2.7% in the last two years. The only teams that have had peak attendance after 2017 are expansion teams Atlanta, Minnesota, LAFC, and Cincinnati plus Portland who just expanded their stadium. The LAG is down this year but are up 1K since 2017 and Philly looks to have added about 300. That makes 7 increasing their average attendance and the rest down for the last two seasons.

Atlanta and LAFC are the only recent expansion teams that have maintained their initial enthusiasm. It looks like novelty is wearing off in Minnesota like it has done many teams in this league (down 4k this year). Let's compare other initial years to 2019... MTL was around 22k in 2012 and down to 16K this year. NYCFC has gone from. 29k in 2015 to 21k this year. Orland is even worse, they are getting about two thirds of the 33k they were getting in 2015 at 23k.

TV ratings dont seem to doing that great either. I couldnt find anything definitive. Her is an article that isnt that glowing.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2019/10/03/mls-tv-ratings-problem-named-fox-soccer/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_attendance

Team/2019 average attendance/2018 average attendance/Percent change
    Atlanta United FC 52,510 53,002 −0.9%
    Seattle Sounders FC 40,247 40,641 −1.0%
    FC Cincinnati 27,336 N/A N/A
    Portland Timbers 25,218 25,218 +19.3%[a]
    Toronto FC 25,048 26,628 −5.9%
    LA Galaxy 23,205 24,444 −5.1%
    Orlando City SC 22,761 23,866 −4.6%
    Los Angeles FC 22,251 22,042 +0.9%
    New York City FC 21,107 23,211 −9.1%
    Minnesota United FC 19,723 23,902 −17.5%[c]
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC 19,514 21,946 −11.1%
    San Jose Earthquakes 18,781 19,032 –1.3%
    Sporting Kansas City 18,601 19,950 –6.8%
    Real Salt Lake 18,121 18,605 –2.6%
    D.C. United 17,744 17,635 +0.6%
    New York Red Bulls 17,281 18,601 −7.1%
    Philadelphia Union 17,111 16,518 +3.6%
    New England Revolution 16,737 18,347 −8.8%
    Montreal Impact 16,171 18,569 –12.9%
    Houston Dynamo 15,874 16,906 −6.1%
    Columbus Crew 14,856 12,447 +19.4%
    FC Dallas 14,842 15,512 −4.3%
    Colorado Rapids 14,284 15,333 −6.8%
    Chicago Fire 12,324 14,806 −16.8%

Namdynamo and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  19. LordofBrewtown

Wigan Athletic
    United States
    Nov 19, 2018
    Disagree on Robinson, or are you referring to form when selections for last window were made? Because he’s been solid to very good last couple of games.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003

21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This would support your opinion....

1189329059030933504 is not a valid tweet id

btlove repped this.
  22. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    dest out right now build the team around robinson

robinson will never be ahead of lovitz so I would stop wasting my time.

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Here's our latest roster (which will likely only move in a more MLS percentage as Bradley, Morris and Roldan are shoo-ins to join). I'd note that MLS is in off-season right now!

MLS: 15 (65%)
    Major League: 7 (30%)
    Other: 1 (4%)

If we add the aforementioned three MLS players we get:

MLS: 18 (69%)
    Major League: 7 (27%)
    Other: 1 (4%)

Nothing to see here, folks. SMH.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Here's a list of players who should have been given serious consideration:
    • Holmes
    • ARobinson
    • Green
    • Horvath
    • Ledesma
    • Llanez
    • Mix
      • Alvarado / carter vickers (at least this isn't a position of dire need)

25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Forgot miazga

26. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Agree on Miazga, Holmes, Green.

The rest, I'm ok with. Mix is moving back to Norway it seems, busy with the move.