What's up with Giuseppe Rossi? Any chance of World Cup 2018 for him?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey All,

Assuming we make 2018 World Cup. Any of you hear any news about Giuseppe Rossi lately? I was wondering if he had any chance to make the 2018 World Cup? Is he in good condition for that even? Would he help us?

Would any of you like to see him at the World Cup, if we make it? I remember him a few years ago, he was a huge beast and arguably our best striker, but I heard he has been struggling with injury in past years. Have no idea what is up with him now. Is he still the player he was?

I remember being extremely bummed about him being left out of the 2014 World Cup Squad. In November 2015 I read something about Conte monitoring him for possible Euro 2016 call, but heard nothing about him anytime after that. Any idea what is going on with him? I wonder why Ventura didn't call him for any qualifier yet. I also wonder why he did not make Conte's Euro 2016 squad, but I am guessing he was probably injured, and Conte had plans a long time before the tournament.

2. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    His career is over, isn't he recovering from his 20th knee injury?

Insigne4BalonD'or repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    did he ever have a real shot during his prime (08-12) of being a starter or sub for Italy? Seems he got a few qualifying matches, but mostly friendlies.

4. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    What kind of bull shit ass thread is this? The kids living without knees, maybe he can be the water boy

5. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Looking back at his career, he should have chosen the States, I mean as injury prone as he was it was still an improvement over Altidore. His career might be over now, unless he comes to the MLS for a couple of seasons.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wonder why exactly he chose Italy. He surely knew the US would qualify for every tournament and he'd be first choice. I doubt he must have thought he'd be first choice for Italy at any tournament. Is his love for Italy that great? Or he just wanted a real challenge?

7. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Because Italy is a much better team. He is proud of his Italian generation!!!

Rosay repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yes I understand both points. But many players do the opposite so long as they have a shot at the WC. I believe the word you were looking for was "heritage"

9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah correct (LOL). Don't forget though that Dybala chose Argentina over Italy and Poland, El Shaarawy chose us over Egypt, Podolski chose Germany over Poland, Balotelli chose us over Ghana, etc. It happens quite a bit!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    but isn't Shaarawy Italian-born? Rossi was born and raised in the US. Though I believe at age 12 or 13 he moved to Italy.
    Also isn't Balotelli born and raised in Italy? So it's natural they would choose Italy. I think a better example would be Auba at Dortmund. He is french born and raised but plays for Gabon.

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought Balotelli was born in Ghana and then got adopted? Could be wrong, but thats what I thought.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    his wikipedia says born in Italy but he was adopted indeed. He has an odd background considering only he was adopted but his siblings were not.

I got a pal in Turin who doesn't technically see him as Italian.

13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Really hard to say in that case.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    can you elaborate?

Because I find it strange a person such as Balotelli couldn't be seen as Italian despite being born/growing up in Italy among Italians.

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    By saying that I meant that it makes sense why he chose Italy.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Ah yeah okay gotcha.

17. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Rossi doesn't even play club football at the moment.

18. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    If YOU were born and raised in China, would that make you Chinese?

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yes it would.

Is that so shocking?

20. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    The Chinese government would disagree. You can't become Chinese or Italian etc. because those are ethnicities. But then again you come from a country where people can choose their genders.

21. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Same reason as any of us on this forum. If we had a chance of making La Nazionale then it’s a no brainer

Rosay and Deleted User x repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    well that's a shame. I suppose i can't marry a special italian girl since my children would be half foreign :eek:

23. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    No one said any such thing.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    just because Italy recognizes citizenship based on blood doesn't make that a real indicator.

Anyone born or raised in Italy (regardless of their parentage) is Italian. They go to italian schools, get italian jobs, maybe date ethnic italians....

It's 1 of the few annoying things I don't enjoy about Italy.

25. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    They are Italian citizens, yes. But not ethnic Italians. That's likely what your friend is saying about Balotelli.

Anyways, FIFA is considering changing the rules so that a player can switch countries regardless of having been capped for another NT. The Rossi's and Balotelli's of the world would be able to feature for more than 1 team if things don't work out with their first choice.