What's the name of this Beach Boys tune?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Soccernova78, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    I absolutely love this song but I can never find out what the title is. It's probably a late 60's release and it doesn't sound like you're typical Beach Boys song. It has pretty prominent horns and sort of sounds like vintage Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. It doesn't really have that much of a chorus and it doesn't sound like Mike Love or Brian Wilson are the lead singer on the tune. Anyone have any idea what this song is? Just throw out some titles and maybe I can Google them for the lyrics. Mad rep for anyone who can help me out on this. :)

2. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Is it a ballad or more upbeat? Any lines?

3. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it on Pet Sounds?

Could it be "I Know There's An Answer" (aka "Hang On To Your Ego")?

5. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    It's a love song and upbeat. It kind of reminds me of "Let's Hang On" by Frankie Vallli and the Four Seasons except the lead singer doesn't hit the high notes Valli hits in that song. Also if you've ever heard "Opus 17" by The Four Seasons it sort of has that type of structure in that it doesn't have a basic verse/chorus/bridge setup.

I'm drawing a blank on the lyrics :( but if I saw them I would recognize them.

6. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    No it's not this song (I gave a listen to an audio sample of it) and it doesn't sound like it's off of "Pet Sounds".

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Marcella" or "You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone" from "Carl and the Passions (So Tough)?"

8. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    No I don't think those are it looking at their lyrics.

I think I remember a couple of lines now:

Let you know what you mean to me
    I guess it was meant to be
    I hold you in my heart
    Life's most (something, something) part

9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The song is "Darlin." The version I'm still working on-- might be the "Party" version-- the original is clearly Brian and Mike...

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Might be either the "Live at Knebworth" version which sounds like Bruce Johnston in the lead, or the "Beach Boys in Concert" version which has Blondie Chaplain mixed up a bit, though I think its actually still Mike's lead...

The "Party" version has the punchier horn parts I remembered for a reason I didn't remember-- there's no vocal at all...:eek:

11. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Yeah that's it! I had some of the lyrics wrong but that's it. Thanks. :)

Although looking at the wikipedia entry it says that Carl Wilson is singing lead. Though I'm not sure if that's accurate:

12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yeah I just got out my copy of "Wild Honey" and its definitely Carl, as is the "Live in London." My bad.

13. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Is "Wild Honey" a good album? I just might get it now that I know this tune is on it.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Good enough to be in my top 3000, which is roughly how many I've kept. Not good enough to be in my top 300...

Truth be told I really own it for "Mama Said" which is a great sign-off scrap and great for Mother's Day; once a dj always a dj...

"Eat alot, sleep a lot, brush'em like crazy

Sleep a lot do a lot, never be lazy..."