What's the best Brazilian food?

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by MIGkiller, Sep 22, 2005.

1. SiriusSoccerFan

SiriusSoccerFan New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Fayetteville, AR
    Caipirinha! O wait...food..hmmm.. I would say linguica. I also like panqueka (sp?)..had it when I was in Maranhao.

Pudim de Leite....is my ALL-Time favorite dish..

Suco de Maracuja!!! ai Meu Deus do Ceu!

2. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Actually, there is Fogo de Chao in LA in Beverly Hills. It just opened earlier this year. It's fairly upscale in Brazil, but it's amazing. It's a well known chain in the bigger cities in Brazil.

3. gremista

gremista New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary
    man, I miss a ton of these things!!!! Need to visit Brasil for the food alone

Didn't see it yet but I also like suco de acerola. Also, drinking coconut milk on the beach after a night of partying. Best cure for a hangover I have found

Argentine versus Brasil....well, I find that many times in Brasil things are served in all you can eat fashion whereas in Argentina the meals are served more a la carte (this is different when at someoene's house; I am speaking of restaurants)

The cuts of beef tend to be different and the argentines will also serve up blood sausage,as well as other internal parts that I was never served in Brasil.

I also found that beer is more commonly served with it in Brasil and wine in Argentina (generally, not always)

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pastelzinhos :)

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I had some Xinxim recently, never really had any Brazilian food before (not knowingly anyway).

Very nice it was too.

6. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Gremista! Hogy vagy? :)

I agree with all the above. After the visit to a churrasco in Goiania (the Texas of Brazil) my best "Brazilian food" experience was when I went to Belem. Friends took me to a place that had ice cream made with fruits that only grow in the Amazon. They made me try all the flavors which were all fantastic. To this day I don't know what they were because none of them had English names!

7. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a quick list of some of the delicious brazilian fruits that are rare in english speaking countries, but do have english names.

1.acerola-barbados cherry
    2.Pitanga-Surinam Cherry
    3.jaca-jack fruit and it actually comes from India
    4.graviola-soursop
    5.cajú-cashew fruit
    6.umbu-I've seen this as brazilian plum, but umbu tastes nothing like a plum.
    7.cacau-cacao; It is made from the pulp of the pod and tastes nothing like chocolate.

Mangaba and açaí are generally used in english.

Some others that I'm not sure of the english name are cupuaçu, cajá, siriguela and many others.

If there is a brazilian or all purpose latino store in your town, you can buy the pulp or concentrated juice of many of these fruits. I know that there are also a couple of brazilian internet stores that sell the concentrated juice.

8. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! This is really good to know. I'll check out the local bodega. :)

9. SiriusSoccerFan

Dec 26, 2005
    Fayetteville, AR
    Not to be critical, but you forgot my FAVORITE fruit from Brazil that is not common in the u.s. except as an artificial flavor..

MARACUJA!!!! (Passion Fruit for those who don't know in portuguese).

SUCO DE MARACUJA is the best thing EVER!

10. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess maracujá is so normal to me that I forgot that it is exotic in the US, except in Hawaii where it is like a weed.

Has mousse de maracujá been mentioned, yet? My wife makes a delicious one with biscoitos de maizena(cookie made from corn starch), caldo de chocolate(chocolate sauce) and flocos(pieces or flakes of chocolate).

11. SiriusSoccerFan

Dec 26, 2005
    Fayetteville, AR
    my wife was supposed to make the mousse for Reveillon, but didn't...as the only maracuja that we can get in Arkansas, USA is artificial and from Welch's juice products..

i remember when i was in brazil with her family, EVERY morning with breakfast I was drinking maracuja...needless to say, the days were very relaxing afterwards, and I often had a hard time staying awake because of it's sedative-type nature ... :)

12. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amateur!!! :)

Buy the concentrated juice online (along with cachaça, beer, Yoki pão de queijo etc. etc.) at

http://www.brazilexplore.com/shop/default.aspx

or

http://www.sendexnet.com

13. SiriusSoccerFan

Dec 26, 2005
    Fayetteville, AR
    we are familiar with this site..we've used it a few times, but shipping to arkansas for the amount of stuff that we want to buy is kind of expensive..so we most of the time just rely on what little we can get here....

my sister-in-law brough the real fruit for me frozen all the way from the northeast of Brazil. I'm not sure how it made it without getting hot, I guess they let it get frozen solid before she left.

we lived on the juice for months! it was awesome!

14. Bjorn Taroque

Bjorn Taroque New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    One of my favorite fruits was jaboticaba. Mmmm, man I could down those little grape-like looking things all day long.

I love the pudim de leite também. Delicioso.

And how can you forget guaraná? It's actually relatively easy to find in the states, but still, um produto do Brasil.

I will say, though, that as much as I love churrasco, and avocado shakes, and feijoada, what I miss the most I think is just a good feijãozinho e arroz, just the way Brazilian women know how to make it. It's the simple things.

15. malmsteen

malmsteen New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    é a picanha pah!!!!!!!!

Picanha rules!!!!:cool:

16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    There are too many... and there are lots of regional delicacies that I have yet to try. I'm referring to dishes famous in Minas Gerais, the northeast, and Bahia - for starters.

Feijoada - can't go wrong with that.
    Picanha - especially picanha nobre (the core, which is the softest part) and picanha com alho (garlic-seasoned picanha).
    Fruits. Too many delicious fruits. Acai, though... I love acai!
    Pao de queijo - I'm only a big fan of the ones from Casa do Pao de Queijo.
    The "fast foods"... coxinha is good and so are them empadinhas, but those pasteis (especially those made by Japanese street vendors)...!!!!

That's why I always gain weight when I visit Brazil. :D

17. ScutBurisic

ScutBurisic New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Sweden
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    When i first head about using the acai berry, i heard a heck of a lot of good things about it. It immediately gained my attention and I wanted to know more about it.

18. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    I agree - I put on weight whenever I go to any Churrascaria here! LOL

19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Moqueca capixaba :D

20. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That is soooo good! I was going to say mariscada or moqueca de camarao e sururu! There is one restaurant in Boston that does good moquecas called... "Moquecas". :D

And that makes me remember something - a warning if you live in Boston and go there. Never never never get two of the same thing. So if you go with a friend, girlfriend, wife or even a group of friends, make sure you each get something different. It is a pain in the @ss becuase they really do have the traditional moqueca bowls and take up space. But I say this because if you get two of the same, they give you it in a larger bowl. And when you look at the larger bowl, it's not much bigger than a regular bowl.

Me and my friends made this mistake once and I was so angry. I left the restaurant hungry and you know that should NEVER happen at any Brazilian restaurant ever. We went another time, got separate items and it was a much better experience. The restuarante itself is small and on a corner - literally across the street from Midwest Grille in Cambridge. So you have to choose the time you go wise.

I haven't been eating too much Brazilian food, and have thus lost maybe 10 lbs. And I'm not very fat. LOL It's just so heavy.

21. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much is R$129,90 in U.S. Dollars?

22. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    one dollar is about 1.8 reais

23. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you.

24. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Not any more seems Brasil's reais has jumped up closer to the US dollar

25. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Wow i cant find any churrascaria for less than 50 reais (30 dollars) in Rio.

The best churrascarias are the ones close to highways in south of Brasil