What's happening to our board?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by skydog, Oct 22, 2018.

1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So her first words will be "Klein out!"?

ShortyMac, StillKickin, napper and 10 others repped this.
  2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy and MLS have been around long enough that I was a Galaxy fan before having kids, have raised 2 kids while being a Galaxy fan, and within a couple years will be back to being a Galaxy fan with no kids in the house... at which point I might even have enough time and money to go to most games again....

StillKickin, luigi-55, Berks and 7 others repped this.
  3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Interesting to see how many have cut back their posting due to time-sucking young'uns. Where are your priorities guys/gals? Babies are resilient - they can go a few days w/o food I think.

StillKickin, shelbo, GalaxyOne and 4 others repped this.
  4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally. Someone who has their priorities straight!

TOAzer and GalaxyOne repped this.
  5. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You know, I should really acknowledge that I've always found @Berks analysis to be very strong.

shelbo, Berks, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  6. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've always found yours to be very British.

TOAzer, shelbo, Beakmon FC and 2 others repped this.
  7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The analysis from the Bigsoccer Galaxy fans is, in general, about 10 times higher quality than you'll find on any social media, and about 5 times higher quality than you'll find on any television broadcast....

StillKickin, napper, shelbo and 2 others repped this.
  8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you!

barroldinho, shelbo and TrickHog repped this.
  9. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. Maybe you blocked one too many fellow posters for disagreeing with you? :D

Personally, I'm rarely on BigSoccer during games as I like to focus on the game. Also, if the Galaxy do poorly, I'll check out until hope is restored.

10. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm on this same boat with @GalaxyKoa. When MLS was beginning, I was excited that there would be a domestic team and league to follow. It would be an American league with mostly American players. It wasn't going to be pretty or awesome like established leagues but to see American players playing commieball was surreal. I don't believe that MLS has an obligation to develop players for the national squad but the 2002 World Cup squad was very special. Then came the transfers of promising Americans to other leagues, the Beckham effect (I'm thankful for his contributions), and the league has changed. I stopped following the league years ago but I still love my Galaxy.

Beakmon FC repped this.
  11. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand this line of thinking. And I'm coming at MLS much more recently than you, as I wasn't a fan in any kind of serious way until around 2005. But there must be 10x the number of professional American players, many of which are able to make serious money playing right here in the US, compared with where MLS and the US pro soccer scene was back when MLS was just starting up. All that growth is part and parcel of the modest globalization of MLS and the US soccer market. I love the current MLS with its foreign "slightly" past-their-prime stars and international influence (both the aging stars and more recently, the young up and comers) In fact, if they go to a model of needing only 50% of the senior roster to be US citizens, I think that would be perfectly fine. And how can you argue with Klinsman's response to when a Dempsey or Yedlin leaves MLS, that it creates a new opening for another aspiring young American player?

ProudNatRN, WarGalaxy and TOAzer repped this.
  12. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the problem is that we would expect a foreign player who is brought in to be better than the American player who would sit. But too often we see inferior foreign players take over for the better American player [this difference discovered after the fact of the player's arrival] who the FO kinda pushes into playing because otherwise that investment is starting to look really bad. So think of de la Garza, and Omar, and Romney, even Steres, being eliminated or benched to make room for some of the truly awful SkylCrud types who stagger in to profitably embarrass themselves. Think of players like Gerrard and Gio having been consitently played over a Lletget. This, of course, is found across many teams in the league. So even my pathetic Revs spill out cash, by their standards, to very average to truly poor foreign defenders, while trading away or ignoring the homegrown talent that is promising but needs its opportunity on the field.
    A team that consistently aims at developing the American player, as central to its future, is rare in MLS. I do wish it was different.

Now, would this enhance these boards? Let me tweet you about that.......;)

13. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    :whistling:

14. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that a reference to Zlatan? Would it be more accurate to have said "a bit more than slightly in some cases"? :)

15. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are decent points, but a bit one-sided. I don't see how MLS rules are to blame for inferior European players (or Mexican or South American players for that matter) being brought in at the expense of Americans. For every example of a bad foreigner coming in to take away an American's job, there are just as many, or more, foreigners performing better than Americans and being major contributors. Don't tell me you'd rather see Jamison and Lassiter playing game after game instead of Kamara and Zlatan. Each team has the freedom to select the best team they see fit, with the restriction of having to have mostly Americans, and only a handful of foreigners. What's so wrong with that? If a team ever brought in a player who they knowingly thought sucked just to sell shirts or to throw away their money for no good reason, then shame on them, but I'd say that would be extremely rare.

Personally, I'm not at all in favor of an all-American team, because it would probably fare about as well as an all-Mexican team, if not worse. There just aren't enough good American players out there. The good ones already fill the bottom half of MLS rosters.

ProudNatRN repped this.
  16. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds corny but people here really care about the team. It's not news to anyone here that removing Ciani and Skjelvik makes the team better.

Beakmon FC, napper, The Cadaver and 4 others repped this.
  17. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this board stays. There’s quality here.

Go Galaxy!

Berks, Geneva, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  18. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And LAG became much more "American" since starting Romney and Steres.

mbar, WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.
  19. OC Galaxy Fans

Jul 30, 2009
    Placentia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhere Chris Thomas is smiling.

20. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ok, this went over my head...

21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Chris Thomas of "haha, get this - there are guys still posting on BS! #iamanidiot"

hav77 and barroldinho repped this.
  22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ok - know who he is, just didn't get the context. Now I get it.

I still tweet at him on occasion. I think he just ignores me these days.

skydog, TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  23. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It's more likely that somewhere, in his stead, there's an unlicensed stock photo smiling.

Beakmon FC, napper, Berks and 4 others repped this.
  24. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is it harsh to say that Chirs Thomas embodies everything that's been wrong with the Galaxy?

25. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been posting less because I haven't really gotten to see any of the games and so I just basically read the reviews when I have time. I've been incredibly busy at work and don't have nearly as much free time anymore. Plus there's the new grandbaby....

But I definitely enjoy this place and don't want it to end. I'm counting on us making the playoffs, which I can't believe is still possible!

Berks, hav77, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.