What's going on in Silverbacks FO?

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by MLSinSTL, Jun 4, 2012.

1. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team is reporting that President Michael Oki has resigned and a new GM is in place. Anyone in Atlanta have insight or inside info about what brought this change on? Was it the USOC game or is something else going on in ATL?

Silverbacks Name Smith General Manager

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twitter did say they were having a Q&A today with the GM, I did not see if this was with the new GM, I assume it is.

3. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I've heard is what Oki posted on FB. He said that it was his decision to leave. I'm sure we'll find out more as time passes.

4. Atlanta-manunited

Sep 29, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boris is throwing Oki under the bus, that is all.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Heck, I don't even know what a technical director is supposed to do, but Wynalda is going to essentially be a scout. The Silverbacks could do far worse than Eric. He could bring some new blood to energize their ranks.

7. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine that this is probably closely related to the article from last week about Traffic selling controlling interest in the club.

8. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, interesting timing, huh? Wynalda rocks. TD is perfect for him, since he knows the soccer scene like the back of his hand. We lucked out that everyone else is afraid if his outspokenness. But he'll fit right in with us, lol.

And now for the drumroll on new majority ownership...

(Oh, yeah, wasn't there a logo contest or something?)

9. The Earl of Lemongrab

May 23, 2012
    Johns Creek, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The logo is being delayed so that can work the deal with the new ownership...

The Applebee's Silverbacks

10. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Silverbacks Facebook, there are supposed to be some 'exciting announcements' in the next week. First up would appear to be the hiring of Wynalda. Logo might be next

11. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) No, don't you remember the World Football Challenge? The Arron's Rents Silverbacks!

12. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bull Silverbacks - oh wait!

13. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... we have to wait another week to find out the results. I'm guessing that with everything else that is going on the new ownership will be announced either at the same time or earlier that day.

[​IMG]

14. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Atlanta got this logo right...we need more quality logo's in all soccer leagues across the board

15. IowaClone

IowaClone Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Kc, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have Zero vested interest in Atlanta in anyway, shape or form. I'm just really intreagued by what the new logo is going to be and really like their hiring of Wynalda.

16. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see we're acquiring new fans from all over the country. We certainly have managed to stay in the news enough, haven't we? ;)

17. The Earl of Lemongrab

May 23, 2012
    Johns Creek, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine that they'd have a deal cut with a new owner by Jan 23. That won't be part of the announcements, I wouldn't think.

I think we need more signings. We don't have a full roster yet.

18. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
  19. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few interesting things he mentions:

- When discussing Silverbacks, says he thinks ATL is ready to go to the next level. (Sounds like he is implying MLS.)

- Starts saying there is a lot of money in Atlanta and people interested in pro soccer, then stops himself and says he isn't supposed to say anything yet.

To me, MLS + Atlanta money = Arthur Blank. Will he be the new majority owner?

- He also mentions that Silverbacks only got 38% of the vote and he thinks there may be one more name change coming eventually. (Please not another contest! Just pick a name and be done with it.)

- Oh, and he intends for us to try and win the Open Cup. I love the ambition!

Exciting times in ATL soccer, regardless.

20. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sounds good, except for the name change. Silverbacks since A-League '98.. they need to stay that way.

[​IMG]

Bluesfan repped this.
  21. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    A name change seems inevitable now. They'll probably try to change it again next year. And it is all but certain any Atlanta MLS team will not be called the Silverbacks. Any poll to name the MLS team would draw from a much larger fanbase that are currently ignoring the D2 Silverbacks. If the Silverback name only got 38% among fans following the team, it will get even less from a larger pool of fans.

Atlanta is a top 10 media market and the largest market MLS is not in. I would be shocked if they are not in MLS within the next 5-7 years.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with Atlanta and Minnesota in MLS playing in NFL stadiums is that in the long run you may end up with 2 more New England Revolutions and not 2 more Seattle Sounders.

I guess a solution would be to make the new stadiums lower bowls 20-25K max (with some skyboxes on top of the lower bowl); and then have a way to tarp off the upper levels, like in Vancouver.

23. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why couldn't they just upgrade Silverbacks park to 15,000 like they planned?

******** that! No gorilla, no support! Honestly, why should people that have ignored the team thus far have any bearing on what the team name should be? If anything, they should shut their mouths and kindly defer to the people that made the Atlanta soccer scene what it is.

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not think the area can handle the traffic for 15K people,

Maybe fans that have gone to the games can tell me if I am wrong (Parking, how easy it would be to go in and out, etc.).

:thumbsup:

25. IowaClone

IowaClone Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Kc, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, isn't today the day we find out what crest won the contest ?