What would you do with $20k ?

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Dammit!, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This thread has been a perfect balance between behavioral investment errors and bad jokes.

Evidence suggests that the top performing market sectors one year are rarely the top performing sectors the next year. Think back to one of your math courses and the term reversion to the mean. That being said, look at the year end for high growth markets that have had poor years and invest in a no-load index fund or and ETF that focuses on that market. Why index? Lower fees, lower transaction fees and broader diversification. You'll get the exposure you while taking minimal risks. This would also allow you to allocate more assets away from low return money markets and into higher returning asset classes.

Given your short timeframe you likely need some equity exposure, but is difficult to find stocks that have a limited downside (25%) and more significant (50%+) upside. I suggest looking for stocks that have been stagnant (like a Citigroup) or good companies that have are near low 5 year valuations. Like Buffet said "buy what you know." You could roll the dice and go with a recovering Tech stock, which may offer more of an upside, but is certainly would be riskier.

Hope this helps.

2. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"I want to say one word to you. Just one word."
    "Yes, sir."
    "Are you listening?"