what would happen if Argentina doesnt win Copa America?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Christina99, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think this year, more than in the last copas (including copa america in argentina 2011), Argentina HAS TO win. Specially after ending 1st in conmebol qualys and gettting to the finals in the WC. And with a golden generation of players (Messi, Di Maria, Aguero, Masche, Pipita) still in their prime, it might be the last chance (hope not) to shine and win an international tournament, something that Argentina has been lacking since a looooong time.

I think is Argentina obligation, as WC finalist and 2nd best team in the world, to win Copa America with relative ease. Or even if its difficult, to win it.
    But....what happens if it does not win? would you guys still be supporting this generation of players , who are without a doubt amazing players, but arent achievieng what they are supposed to achieve? would you still be supporting tata martino? should tata martino resign if argentina does not win? what DT should come in his place? would people go back to "im tired of the NT" mood -like in maradonas, battista era- if we lose?

In Sabellas era, the NT achieved not only success, but it regain the respect that had lost in the previous years. Would losing the copa america make this respect go away?
    what do you people think?

Rattlehead repped this.
  2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, if we do not win it, I don't know, reaching the final of the World Cup is a big deal but it feels hallow. If they do not win it, you have to become content with what we have. I am tired of reaching finals and losing. It will be a very difficult Copa to win, the style has changed and us scoring goals can be difficult. Teams will sit back, give us the ball and counter. So, Tata needs to figure something out.

If he fails to win, I am not sure if Tata will resign or be fired(Unless Sabella makes a push to come back). I do not think he is in the same ship as Batista. Martino will be given a chance, I believe. It will also depend on the qualifiers, how he starts off.

Sabella returning, I am not of a fan of managers returning after a spell. Look at Lippi in 2010, won 2006, came back late for 2010 and tried to find that magic with a old old Italian side and they failed to make it out of the group. That will be my greatest worry if Martino steps down and Sabella decides he wants to come back. Use the same players that he did years prior. New faces are needed.

I am more interested in qualifiers for the U20 qualifiers that kickoff in a couple weeks. Not only do I worry about qualifying, I also want to see them go to the Olympics, but they have to finish in the top 2 or so to even have a shot.

3. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Unfortunately, I don't think Argentina will win the Copa America. Chile is on home soil and they have a coach who has a defined system and style of play that they've been using for years now.

Tata Martino doesn't have any idea of how he wants his team to play, except that he only wants to use 1 forward and messi in his formation, which just defies logic.

I do think its an important tournament for the legacy of certain players though. Messi has still not left his mark on an international tournament the way we would have hoped. In the world cup he scored 4 goals, but was very much a marginal figure in the semi and the final. With Barcelona he always scores in finals.

Aguero is certainly in debt with the national team as well, but given how he's injured again, I don't know how his physical condition will be when he gets to june after grueling EPL season.

I don't mean to be negative, but I just don't see much to get excited about with this team. We made it all the way to the Final and lost the world cup, its almost like where do we go from here? Where as I see teams like Chile and Colombia who are much younger and have such motivation and upside. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Argentina's team being revamped completely if they lose again.

On the Sub 20, well it would be nice to make the Olympics and the World Cup needs to be an obligation. Yet with Grondona as the DT i don't know what to expect. They did make the semis in the Sub 17 world cup so who knows maybe they can give us a surprise and make it.

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wow, time flies so fast,those misses in the final were still a daylight clear in my head. Seems like only few weeks ago. Uruguay won the last tourney after finishing 4th place in 2010 WC, hopefully our great WC run will give us the confidence to do well this time (without choking in the final off course).

To me Copa will always be the second most important tournament for the NT after the World cup. U20 & Olympic, we've been very successfull in last 20 years, more successfull than anyone in fact. The senior side needs to win a silverware and bring back the winning tradition and that we once had. Messi generation already won everything at U20 & U23 but finished as runner up at best in Copa and World cup.

Like SuperMario said, I'm tired of losing the final. How many times we've been in the final between 2004-2014? 4 times! World cup , 2 Copa and Confederation. Its always the same two teams that beat us, Brazil & Germany.

I'm not a fan of having Sabella's back either, I'd love to stay till this year Copa but now they already broughtTata as a manager so going back to Sabella after Copa would be a backward thinking.

I wont blame Aguero for his poor WC performance though, he was injured 4 times in 2014 including in the middle of the WC itself. Like Aimar, he always injured every now and then which is unfortunate given the talent they possess.

Reaching the WC final definetely bring back the NT pride that has been lost since mid 1994. Now I've seen tons of people wearing Argentina's jersey and I couldnt be more happier by the fact that Spain is just a one hit wonder when it comes to the WC pretty much like England back in 1966.

5. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lets wait and see how tata implements his system in Copa , i prefer to have continuation of coaching staff but it all depends on the performance of our team in Copa.

6. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You can't take Aguero off the hook for his atrocious world cup. If he wasn't fit enough to play, Sabella wouldn't have played him the whole 2nd half and extra time in both the semis and the final, when he didn't touch the ball, though he should have gotten a red card in the final when he elbowed sweinsteiger in the face causing him to bleed when he was already on the a yellow card.

Aguero himself says "estoy en deuda con la seleccion" (I'm in debt with the national team) so i take him at his word. He knows he had a shitty world cup and he only has one more in his prime in russia, if argentina qualifies that is.

7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #7 Rattlehead, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Well, Neuer should have been sent off first for kneeing Higuain on the face. The ref obviously balancing things out.

Argentina will easily qualify, they cant get any worst than under Maradona which they still qualified automatically.

Many unfit player claimed they're fit because they wanna play in WC, let alone in the final. Aguero was so desperate to play, he even posted a video of him doing light tridmill to convience everyone. Even in certain games where Messi was vomiting and struggling to run pass 6 km, he still claimed he's fine.

Di Maria, Pipita and Messi played full minutes in 2010 QF and couldnt do much , they also played in Copa 2011 QF where they also failed to win.

Aguero in comparison, came in almost at injury time in 2010 QF, saved Argentina's face in Copa 2011 group stage with his 3 goals and was replaced by Tevez in QF who ended up costing the team in the shootout.

8. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    No, man, Aguero cannot be left off the hook for his World Cup. Forget scoring a goal ---- he was having difficulty trapping a ball. It was downright atrocious from him. I know he was injured, and I know how difficult it is to play with injury. But he couldn't do the basic things right.

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At least he scored his penalty and helped the team to the final. Tevez did the contrary in Copa 2011.

10. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Completely agree. Not trying to belittle Aguero --- as he is my second favorite player on the team (although I am beginning to like Dybala and Vietto more and more). I always hope Aguero delivers ---- just that it pained me to see how he played at the World Cup.

I still have hope that both Messi and him will come good this year's Copa and World Cup 2018.

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #11 Rattlehead, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    Aguero was clearly unfit no matter how you see it. Look at Messi when he's playing under hamstering injury back in 2012-2013, he always said he's fit enough and that's only a club matches, let alone the WC where everybody wants to play.

When Kun came in against S Korea in 2010, he helped to create the latest 2 goals. In quarterfinal he only played like 4 minutes because Tevez was Diego's man. He scored 3 goals in Copa and save our face from getting eliminated at group stage at home soil.

Ok he played 4 and a half games in WC and didnt score but what about Di Maria, Higuain ,Palacioand Lavezzi? compare to their playing minutes, they also had minimal contribution. Although Di Maria and Pipita's goal were a ticket to the next round, but if you really compare it to their playing time, Pipita and Lavezzi also had a medicore tournament.

12. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Yup, that was the problem --- all of Higuain, Di Maria, Aguero, Lavezzi, and Palacio (and even Messi to a certain extent) had sub-par tournaments.

13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi still our best player overall even if not in last 3 games. He played part on 7 goals out of 8 goals we scored and was MOTM in 4 matches. He looks subdued in the final because we've played 2 extra time matches before that.

I think after an outstanding run in recent WC, we will play better this time then in 2011 Copa. Winning tradition is important when it comes to major tournament and teams like Paraguay, CHile and Colombia dont have that. Like when that shitty Brazillian team still able to eliminate them in recent WC, it proof that in most case the powerhouse team will prevail agains those teams. In my opinion Uruguay, Argentina and Brazil , at least one of them still going to be in the final. But whether we're going to blow the final again or not, that's another case.