What Will FIFA's Response Be To Mexico's Anti-Homosexual Chant Be?

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea' started by Sting111, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ok, FIFA has come across very strong against against racial or anti-Homosexual chants. The ******** chant came across loud and clear. Will FIFA do anything about this? No sporting event should allow this crap!! How will FIFA respond to this? My guess is nothing. The Mexican Federation needs to take some respnonsibilty for this bullshit!!

Psjoe36, Hexa and laurasoccerfreak repped this.
  2. Misterioso

Misterioso Member

Dec 10, 2005
    The chant is childish, stupid and boring, but It’s not homophobic. The word pvto has several meanings depending on context, in this case it means coward. The crowd (at least the people that understand the chant) is calling the keeper coward because he is playing a long ball instead of starting from the back.

chris2787 repped this.
  3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    When refered to women (with an "a" at the end instead of the "o"), most of the times it refers to whores.

With the "o" at the end, it is clearly homophobic, to all spanish speaking communities, the same as for mexicans, so don't pretend as if it is a soft word. You don't call children as "putos", unless they want to offend them

In Mexico they use it with exactly this meaning, in order to produce discomfort on others and specially on the opponents goallie, with the hope that with it, he makes some kind of mistake. They don't yell it to their own goalkeeper, or between themselves, but always exclusively to the opponents.

And btw, in the whole spanish speaking community in latin america, with no exception, it is homophobic.

4. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    I didn't know the chant happened until I saw reports after the game. Don't know if that's because I'm so used to it or because it was less people doing it + doing it less times.

Anyway, they will probably just get fined. Not sure what this thread can really accomplish so if I see it get even mildly nasty, gonna have to close it. Everyone do me a favor and behave.

5. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    They absolutely have to do something. A fine is ok, just as start - and also to bring the issue up so that people don't go on thinking this is "normal".
    I got to know that stupid mexican thing in 2006. Most of their chants are pure vulgarity, but with that homophobic stuff they just show they're at least 50 years late in the society development.
    Actually they're not the only ones.
    Four years ago in Brazil they showed on tv the habitudes of the different fans, and it was really interesting. I was so innocent that I still hoped Brazilians could learn from the Japanese to keep the place clean for instance, but who did they pick up an "idea" from? Of course they got only this moronic mexican idea, and the years right after the WC 2014 you could hear the portuguese version of this in many places in Brazil. They're trying to eliminate it internally, and I imagine they will, since some clubs have already managed.
    But FIFA should absolutely do something, since this is the world stage.
    As a sign.
    The most feasible thing would be a fine to the Mexican football federation right now, and a couple of matches with closed doors for the next qualifying.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am not fan of word police or thought police unless they treat all words that are disrespectful the same.
    Big brother is watching.

That being said I believe the chant is stupid along with many other stupid chants the Mexican fans do.

7. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    Personally I don't consider all "disrespectful words" as offenses. Some are simply rude. And this is where I also do not like a "word police".
    But when it's about racism, xenophobia, homophobia, misogyny etc, I don't consider it "freedom of speech" any longer.
    The World Cup is a private organized event. FIFA is responsible for it. They have the right (and the obligation) of defining what kind of behavior they want to be related to their event. And to themselves as an institution.
    We shouldn't forget that in WC venues they're able to override even the country's laws - for economic reasons. If they want to sell themselves as ethics defensors - and despite of all their dirt they do want it - they should play "word police" in the stadium, if these words do not match what they believe to be acceptable.

Rickdog repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, you are treading on a slippery slope if you you keep on adding to the list of things that are not freedom of speech arbitrarily and catering to certain groups you deem needing respect.

In the future anything that offends anyone could be banned and we could have mindless zombies silently golf clapping in stadiums.

9. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Sexual preference is not the same as race.

HomietheClown repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Watch it.
    I agree with you but many do not.
    You could get a card if you don't agree with people on this one.

11. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Well I identify myself as a opposite genetic gender attracted bio-rights vegan 2050 neo constructionist conservative. My pronoun is 'pe' pronounced hyphenated short. Thanks.

12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Mexico chant reminds me of the worst thing about soccer--the fact that the fan base in so many countries is so uncivilized, primitive and tribal, with the songs and the chanting and, often, the holliganism and the racism--all of which show that soccer is a sport for the uneducated masses. Too harsh? Hey, I love soccer--I got hooked on football watching the '98 World Cup, but I don't love the soccer-fan culture. Speaking of which, where comes this tradition of setting off flares in the stands and so the stadium fills with smoke? Absurd. Great win by Mexico--I've always appreciated their flair and willingness to play--but ditch the chant.

laurasoccerfreak repped this.
  13. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Its culture by definition. Don't be so intolerant.

14. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    OMG

15. Emerican

Emerican Member

Barcelona
    Poland
    May 14, 2018
    SJW detected.

LaMascara and HomietheClown repped this.
  16. MK3owner

MK3owner Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Kissimmee FL.
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I didn’t hear it during the game which actually surprised me.
    Well the logical solution is to send Mexico home and replace them the next concacaf nation.

17. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Misterioso

Misterioso Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Thanks for the lesson on word usage in Mexico, unfortunately you have no idea what you’re talking about. Next time I talk to some Chilean friends I will make sure to give them a long winded lesson of what the word huevon “really” means (in Mexico of course, not the way they use it in Chile).

nicamex1935, Paco' and Emerican repped this.
  19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You don't need to take it from me (although I spent over a year in Mexico, when I was lots younger than now).
    Google-translate the next blogs and reports (here is just a few of them, as there are hundreds of pages related to the issue), all mexican btw :

http://www.nacion321.com/ciudadanos/********-por-que-se-usa-tanto-esta-palabra-que-debe-desaparecer1

http://www.sinembargo.mx/opinion/20-06-2014/24857

http://www.chilango.com/general/es-********-una-palabra-homofobica-entrale-al-debate/
    About the usage of the word "huevon" in Chile, we've had the same kind of problems you are having, but in our case we recognize and accept, that it may offend other people, so we try to avoid using it in international football matches (problem still exists, and will take a long time to erradicate it, if ever, though), as the general principle here, is that you must avoid say to others what offends them (even if you believe, you aren't).

20. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Why not just make an appeal to the fans for common decency? I think that's a more sensible solution than an enforceable action that would otherwise punish the Mexican FA and the respectful fans who are made guilty by association.

Unless I'm mistaken, no crime has been committed here. I certainly don't believe this should ever be considered a criminal act. It's simply a matter of decency and respect.

21. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Best would be to try to identify (videos) who is taking part in this unacceptable chant and simply: 1) Ban for any other WC game (ban for life); 2) If Russia is on board kick them out of the country.

You just need to do this with a few Mexican fans (10 to 15) the rest will fall in line pretty quickly when they see real consequence. It does not matter if for the Mexican fans doesn't fell this is homophobic the international community think it is so you cannot do it in an international event.

Really sad that when Mexico had a great game you have to talk about Mexican fans intolerance. It devalues their fantastic first game IMHO.

22. Regi0

Regi0 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Homophobic would be "j"oto, not "p"uto

DGreat repped this.
  23. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Disagree with this part. Fans from everywhere do dumb things all the time. This team has inspired the world with one game, and a group stage game at that. I’d say we leave them out of the conversation.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  24. angelsfan

angelsfan Member+

Jun 4, 2008
    So Cal
    Meh. Didn’t hear it, must have been a small pocket of fans. Fans are starting to get the message so a simple fine will do

25. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    -WiLL- repped this.