What Will Arena's First Moves Be?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsRule, May 14, 2019.

1. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be be very interesting to see exactly what will Arena's first moves be? Does he have a new staff )(Please no Dave Sarachan) Will he keep some of the present staff? I think Lapper might be a keeper. What about players? I expect that he will take a little time to evaluate and then start shipping out ones he doesn't like

All in all, I like the change and think there is no place but up for the Revs. I think Arena will get some good players in here and think we'll be competitive in shout order.

kennytt and TOAzer repped this.
  2. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is surreal to see us talking about Bruce Arena and the Revs in the same sentence.....

kennytt and urtel repped this.
  3. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I for one don't expect many short term changes, roster-wise. If anything, the coach desperate to retain his job was the strongest indicator of a major DP signing.

I assume Bruce has chosen to sign on for 3-5 years. Given his MLS experience, I would be surprised if he leapt into a bunch of mid-season moves, given how MLS season does not align with the global player marketplace. And, if I read the reporting correctly, he hasn't even actually begun the job yet.

I think the team will look very different at the start of the next campaign. And I do think he will fill in the blank roster spots with servicable MLS pro-types. But I think the big "Il Brucé" changes will be for next season.

(I say all this assuming that he has not been preparing to take the Revs over this May, but rather at end of season, if at all. But maybe ownership has been working the back channels more than is typical for them.)

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said this in another post, but I think we might see some immediate improvement from some of the players who should have been better and have good pedigrees. We will see soon enough whether Friedel was mis-using them or they were really that bad, but I can actually see a serious uptick for the rest of the year.

Crazy as this may sound, there have been 3 turning points in Revolution history. The birth of the team, and then when Sunil stockpiled allocations so we got to pick over the corpses of Miami and Tampa Bay and pick up 5-6 quality players in one fell swoop (Ralston, Mamadou Diallo, Jim Rooney, Adin Brown) and with the emergence of Twellman and Joseph, it instantly made us a good team. I remember a friend hearing the news and literally digging through his trash to find the season ticket flyer he had thrown out earlier.

This is the third of those moments. Things will never be the same again.

Oh, and pass me some of that Kool-Aid, I'm getting pretty thirsty!

kennytt, TOAzer, Crooked and 2 others repped this.
  5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I expect he'll be bringing in a group of his people to help coach/manage. I'd expect Lapper will be among that group. But, coach/Sporting Director is a huge combined job, so he'll need a significant support staff - and I also think he want to be surrounded by people he knows and trusts.

I think Bilello should be a little nervous. And, I hope he gets rid of Feldman - I think he casts a very dark pall over public-facing side of the organization. I would think that's something that Arena will be concerned about - public perception is very important and the 'other' BF has a history as an apologist for the organization and hostility to those who would question it.

I think the title of sporting director implies that he'll also oversee the academy, so there might be changes there as well.

wheels, pwykes and A Casual Fan repped this.
  6. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen. I find Feldman irritating at the best of times, and downright punchable otherwise. Get someone who isn’t such an overt partisan and is more willing to engage with the public in good faith.

wheels and pwykes repped this.
  7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be surprised if all Brad's assistants are let go. The teams seemed to respond well to Lapper who I would think Bruce is familiar with. I would expect him to bring in a few of "his guys". As for player changes: Will he give Somi a look or cut him loose before the mid-season deadline to save money? Good thing is that we are coming up on a 25 days period of no games. I suspect we will see a revitalized team with a new attitude however because of the lack of talent on the back line and lack of a dominant DM I do not expect a huge change in the standings unless he makes a big dip into the summer transfer window

8. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't expect many changes on the roster. It's just really hard to do that mid-season. Maybe a signing or two. Maybe a DP?
    My guess is, the rest of this season will center around evaluating what they have an seeing if he can get them to at least semi-respectability.

9. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to say that while Feldman can be annoying on-air, I remember having a couple of beers with him after a road game and he's a nice guy with a clear-eyed viewpoint on the team - not all of which makes it onto the broadcast.

10. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish he’d show that. I’d appreciate an honest take on the team much more than the knee jerk condemnation of whatever “wrong” befalls them that he always pulls out.

pwykes repped this.
  11. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    I'm guessing Geoff Cameron won't be coming as a DP ;)

RevFan and Crooked repped this.
  12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even at 33 I'd take him over any of the 3 CB's we have right now

13. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think the joke was about his beef with Arena from the WCQ fiasco. I think we're far more likely to see Omar Gonzalez walking through that door than Cameron.

firstshirt repped this.
  14. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo :(

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, just saying

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How Bruce Arena plans to rebuild New England Revolution organization
    May 16, 2019, 2:23PM EDT
    Jason York

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Ooof not a great first quote

19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's assume, for now, that it was just Bruce doing the ol' Giving Unto Kraftus what is Kraftus'..........:whistling:

20. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that Daniele De Rossi is done with Roma at the end of this Serie A season. And he wants to keep on playing. Hmmm

21. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “I don't think any club in the league needs to spend the way Atlanta spends,” Arena said.

Kraft doesn't need the attendance Atlanta draws, either. Apparently.

Quality DP's are exciting to watch. I saw the first game Pozuelo played for Toronto FC and was impressed right away. Obvious talent. Worth the money. A reason to buy tickets.

We won't win with average players on chemistry alone. The Philly Union this year are the current example of this. Philly aren't fun to watch despite their high place in the standings.

I wonder what will change ownership's attitude on this? Does Tom Brady need to retire and the Patriots fail for Kraft to change his focus to the Revs?

22. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He knows what side his bread is buttered on.[emoji6][emoji106]

23. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    the “atlanta spends” comment isnt so bad considering theres a happy medium between current Revs spending and the 5 stripes...

im just glad Curt Onalfo is going to the Revs.. cause reasons.

hopefully it doesnt affect his Full House commitments

upload_2019-5-16_21-30-43.jpeg

goussoccer, TOAzer and TV on the Radio repped this.
  24. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m glad that Arena is coming to the Revs. It is the best step towards the team being a serious operation in many years. I’m even OK going along with the sentiment that he’s a pompous ass, but he’s our pompous ass. But this: “he's also reached out to D.C. to request permission to speak with Richie Williams, head coach of the club's USL side Loudoun United.” Does he really need to bring in the ABMOD? And in the first week no less. That may be a bridge too far.

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]