What Used Cars Would You Recomment?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Pathogen, Apr 11, 2008.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Re: What Used Cars Would You Recommend?

I'm disappointed by the attitudes of some in this forum. The automotive industry is cyclical. Japanese automakers got into the US market as cheap alternatives that got the job done. At first they were known for not being as reliable, but time went by and things changed. Toyota built a reputation on being cheap and reliable, but that hardly applies with their current vehicles. Just as the American manufacturers grew, prices increased and reliability decreased, the same is happening with the world's current largest automaker, Toyota(remember what scion was supposed to be?). My family drives Toyota almost exclusively and I just broke the trend with my Mazda3(basically a Japanese Ford) replacing my Toyota truck. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think I don't like Japanese for American(especially since most of my family's Toyotas were built in the US), but I get tired of seeing Toyota and Japanese automakers represented as more reliable or having better features when GM and Ford are making more reliable vehicles now that many if not most would rate higher than the often boring vehicles currently offered from Toyota. Having said all of that and offered no useful information, how is the search going? I'm a little uncertain on how much space you need. Are you looking for a traditional mini-van or would you be interested in a CUV, one of the last remaining hatchbacks or 3/5 door vehicles?

2. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think my wife is settling in on a sedan. It's ultimately up to her. We've been looking at Fusions, Accords, and Camrys. The Japenese models are a bit more, obviously. We're only looking at used. We're not considering leases, which is fine. If we buy a used vehicle that's only a couple of years old, then I can take that over when my high-mileage Malibu finally hits the wall. And then we can get her something new. I make the used car last long enough for my daughter to take over when she starts driving in six years, and I then I can buy something new for myself. That's is, if the world doesn't collapse upon itself in the next six or seven years from the soaring oil prices.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

Does she have an age limit on the used vehicle?

BTW: We all know the world is going to end in 2012.:rolleyes:

4. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to the Mayans. I say bring it on.

We're trying to keep it down to a couple of years. Depending on the condition, I'd go three.

5. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Maybe to some guy in Portland that's dealing with salt and sand for about 6 months of the year they are. ;) I just think if you get a new car, you need to make it count. Either a truck you plan to keep forever or a hot-rod/sports car you plan to keep forever. Otherwise there's really no need for a 'new' car. The smell ultimately goes away along with the 'joy' after the very first service issue.

Otherwise yeah. I'd go the Toyota or Honda route. Cars are a waste of money. And that's coming from someone that loves em. But loves his money more. Honda's, with good maintenance, last for ages. Same with Toyotas. But... you have to be diligent with the maintenance. Don't get lazy.

6. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we've got it narrowed down to a Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonota, Ford Fusion (heard nothing but good things about them), Nissan Altima, or Toyota Camry (the least likely). We're confident we'll find something suitable. I'm actually hopeful that things we'll turn around in the next few years and I'll be able to take over the used car and buy the wife something new. As always, dad is stuck with the older POS.

7. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We went with a 2006 Ford Fusion SE V6. It's got about 19,200 miles. It's completely clean, no dings or scratches. Loaded with power everything, 6 disk CD in dash, premium sound, sun roof, but no leather seats. It's dark blue with tinted windows (aftermarket). We bought it for $13,750. He was asking $14,000. Not a great deal, but a good one. The engine is squeaky clean. It's got a clean history on CarFax. We're real happy with the purchase.

We tried finding Accords, but a comparable one would run me $2000 to $3000 more or higher. We just couldn't afford it. Like a lot of people, the gas prices are really crunching us. It's going to be hard to scale down from the van. But I'm happy that the trunks are really deep for smaller vehicle.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for all of you inputs. I appreciate your help.

9. Mstr. Baitor

Mstr. Baitor Member

Dec 14, 2005
    well the chryslers did have a lifetime warranty on them.

I wish u well with your new auto.

10. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far we're loving it. It's the best car I've ever owned. I know, that may not be saying much since I've had a bit of a nightmare with my '98 Malibu. But the thing is glass smooth, loaded, solidly built, and has loads of power under the hood. The power isn't that big of a deal since gas is so freaking expensive. But it's still fun to get into the throttle when the wife isn't there. :D

If we could have gotten the same car for the same price in a Nissan Altima or Honda Accord, we might have gone with them. But those were few and far between. Hell, we got lucky to get this. They were going like hotcakes.

As far as Chryslers are concerned, we weren't looking for new. Couldn't really afford it. And there was nothing there we liked. Plus, I think they're built like shit based off of driving a Town and Country the last two years. We turn the van in tomorrow. I'll miss the utility, but that's about it.

11. Mstr. Baitor

Mstr. Baitor Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Well the used ones are also covered. All GM autos have had 100k mile warranties for a few years. Im still glad you went domestic though. Lots of people out there have rightfully lost faith in our automakers, but we're getting it back together.

12. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Get an old school Honda Accord, CB7 body. It was my first car and the most reliable the the Lexus or BMW. The car was great on gas, I remember getting paid on Thursday and putting half a tank in and having it last till next pay day two weeks later. It does the job and will get you from point A to B and they will easily go up 350,000 miles.

13. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm considering a Honda Civic for myself. But like I said, we picked up a used Ford Fusion for the wife. So far we both love it. Far and way superior to my '98 Malibu, and although it has less utility than the 2006 T&C we turned in, it's built much better.

But a Civic would be great considering the amount of miles I drive every day. But I can't afford another car payment right now. And I don't have the cash on hand to purchase a new or used one outright. And I doubt I would go that route even if I had the money given the economy. I'd hate to empty my bank account and then get laid off.

14. futbol@me!

futbol@me! New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    i agree! but we have a whole bunch of toyota Cars. I like them.... but thats cuz i am always in them! haha

-Chris:D

15. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This statement applies to just about any car not made by Ford/GMC/Chrysler.

There is no car made by any Japanese/German company that will not drive for 100,000 miles while doing the bare minimum maintenance (Oil changes, and air filters).

Any decent car should easily last 15 plus years if you treat it right. My dad's and my track record for proof. All of these cars were bought brand new and my dad and I keep them looking and running that way.

1980 VW Rabbit TDI - sold in 1990 w/150K+miles.
    1985 VW Passat waggon TDI - sold in 1995 w/200K+ miles.
    1990 Volvo 740 - totalled in 2006 w/200k+miles (I miss the tank).
    1994 Volvo 940 - still in use w/150k+miles (looks brand new inside and out)
    2000 Audi A4 - still in use w/120k+miles(this car has been a problem child)
    2001 BMW 325i - still in use w/100K+miles (this one is mine - my first car that I bought on my own)
    2003 Mercedes C230 - still in use w/50k+miles (no repairs of any kind yet)

I plan on keeping my 325i for at least 10 more years. These cars will last forever if you treat them right.

16. K-Train

K-Train New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Ej2 (1993-1995) heck even the 96-00 Civics. I get 40 mpg in my EJ2 Civic DX.