What Used Cars Would You Recomment?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Pathogen, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the economy is in the shitter. I'm not getting a raise this year. Gas prices along with inflation have pretty much chewed up any financial gains I've made in the past 6 or 7 years. My wife is back to work pretty much full time, but makes less than most interns (just getting back to the workforce). And I've got two girls that eat up a lot of income with dance classes, soccer, etc.

So I don't have a lot of money left over at the end of the month for transportation. I've already put off three times buying a new car for myself because I didn't want to add the payment. I'm glad I did. But now the lease on the minivan is going to be up in about three months and we can't afford a new lease because of the rise in cost.

So what used vehicles should I consider since I can't afford a new minivan, leased or otherwise? We don't want to shell out for a new car because we're confident that the economy is going to get worse for the foreseeable future.

We're considering cars. I don't want a used Chrysler minivan because I find their long term reliability suspect. Besides, I've already got one maintenance nightmare in my malibu.

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Get a Honda, pretty good mpg and they just keep on going and going

3. Sebring98

Sebring98 Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Lansdale, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  5. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get a Honda high millage or not.. Maintain it well and it'll run for years and years.

6. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the wife digs the new accord. But I don't think we can swing that. Times are real tough right now up in Michigan. I grew up my whole life never setting foot on a foreign dealership. This ought to be interesting.

7. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I disagree. It shows that VWs made in the US or Mexica are overpriced POS, but my experience with the once that are manufactured in Europe are very positive. Granted, in the first 100 000 km a Japanese car is usually better than a German one, but after that mileage you won't have many problems with a VW Golf or BMW 7 Series, whereas a Toyota or Honda may die soon on you. I think a VW Golf (possibly Variant) would be a good used car, even though they are quite expensive for a used car over here...

9. skijerze

skijerze New Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Wallington
    Honda.

I am VW lover (vdubber, dubhead), but I don't recommend getting used VW in US.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Ugly & overpriced are the 1st two things that come to mind when I think VW. And "chick car" is the next thing.

11. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mate just get a base civic it'll be all you need and will not die on you.

8thcivic.com should give you an idea of how the cars are although it's mostly a Civic SI site you get your fair share of LX, EX owners so you'll be able to find out a bit on the car and problems.

12. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great for me, but the wife needs something with a bit more room to cart the tikes around in. Plus, a Civic would get pretty tight on road trips.

13. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A used Honda CRV or Element would be the way to go, then. Just remember to replace the timing belt/chain at 100K miles, otherwise they have a tendency to swallow their valves.

14. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honda Element would be a good buy I think dunno how good they are though, but they seem solid.

15. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is totally anecdotal of course but I've had 2 toyota camrys ('93 and '96) that have still been running great with well over 150,000 miles, and 2 volkswagons ('91 Fox and a '97 Jetta) that didn't even make it to 100,000. Honestly though the most reliable car ive ever had is the '95 jeep cherokee I still drive, it's over 200,000 and going good, it has that 4 liter in line 6 that seems as strong now as it was when I bought the car and has only ever needed regular stuff like water pump, radiator, minor body work, etc. of course whenever we travel any distance we take the better half's prius as the Jeep drinks gas.

New cars are for suckers.

16. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She wouldn't like the element. And I don't know much about the CRV. She's gotten very particular about the vehicles she drives, which is strange because we can't be that picky given our financial state right now. She would have gotten the new Chyrsler T&C even though she hated the looks just because of the features. So who knows. We've got some time.

Like I said, it's going to be really weird stepping onto a Japenese dealership. I forgot that I had looked at a Subaru WRX about two years ago and I felt like I was cheating on my family just thinking about buying it. Those ties to the U.S. auto industry run deep up here.

17. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It somehow seems a bit like reserve worlds... Nobody here in Germanic-Europe ever talks about how great Toyotas are, but most people like VWs, have had good experiences with them and usually chooses them if the budget allows it and they can't go up to BMW or so...
    Than again I am living upper middle class, may look completely different for people who don't go to college.

18. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a buddy of mine who is a total car nut and tech geek bought an Element. he is very disappointed with the tech features, which he assumed he could hack pretty easily, but he loves the car part.

my wife and i bought a Saturn Vue hybrid. not a techie car, but rides nice.

i've put over 100K miles on both a Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla. safe bet for dependable.

19. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Subaru is built in Indiana, and the Honda is built in Ohio, if that makes you feel any better. They're not union shops, but they still employ US labor.

20. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I know. It's not logical to feel that way. I guess I can easily square it with the fact that my dad refused to buy GM products after the '97 strike because he got nothing out of it, only the skilled trades did. For some odd reason, though, he took a step backwards and started bying Chrysler products. Weird.

21. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loyalties aside go for what's the best buy...

22. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FACT: GM, Chrysler, Chevy, etc cars and trucks suck. Wish it weren't so, but it is. The US just isn't good at making cars anymore.

23. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually loved my old Fox, it got totalled in an accident. The Jetta though, what a piece of shit that car was. Nowadays they're just made in dark colors for hot girls, they don't really have to be anything else.

24. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need to expand the point a little bit. American Big Three (Ford, Chrysler, GM) cars suck. There are plenty of great cars being built in the US by Honda, Subaru, Toyota, BMW and Mercedes.

25. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    consider it expanded.