What Two Teams Will Make It Out?

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea' started by Jtsmith1, Dec 1, 2017.

?

Which Two Will Advance?

1. Germany

127 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. Mexico

85 vote(s)
    59.0%
  3. Sweden

46 vote(s)
    31.9%
  4. South Korea

19 vote(s)
    13.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Indeed.
    But the injuries make it harder for them to form a cohesive unit with chemistry in time for June. And the depth could work against them in theory in that regard since we don't know who is going to start.
    But then again, that is a problem most managers wish they could have.

Kamtedrejt and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    To make a long story short...
    ...Does anyone truly know for sure what the back line will look like and who the starting keeper will be for Germany come June? (I don't even think Löw knows that answer.)

3. Franzel123

Franzel123 Member

Munich
    Germany
    Apr 29, 2018
    German defense has problems for sure.

Doesnt see a huge problem with keeper to be honest.

On the right there is Kimmich. It will be the first important show for him. He is very good attacking. But we will see his real skills when it comes to the national team.

Hummels is great, experience connected to a header.

Worries come from Hector (quality) and Boateng (injury).

Ruediger, Can, Suele ? Great players but not world class level.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    "Problem" is not the right word since there is quality and experience. It is more of a chemistry issue and who will be the starter who can acclimate the best with the makeshift changes. Any Keeper would tell you that he would want to have a good rapport with his back line going into the tournament.

5. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Kimmich played euro 2016!

6. Franzel123

Franzel123 Member

Munich
    Germany
    Apr 29, 2018
    TRUE.

HansWorldCup repped this.
  7. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    interresting note:

germany has always passed 1st round.
    mexico passed 1st round in their last 7 participations.
    sweden passed 1st round in their last 3 participations.
    korea in 2 of their last 4 world cup.

sounds competitive

8. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    The goalkeeper situation is still not clear. It was rumored Neuer would play one two matches in the Bundesliga before he goes to the German camp. Bayern has still one Bundesliga game left and they also have the German Cup final. But it doesn't look like Neuer will play in any of them. Today against Cologne he wasn't even in the 18-men squad. Time is running out. I guess the two preparation games against Austria and Saudi Arabia will have to serve as his dress rehearsal. Löw always emphazised that he will keep the door open for Neuer until the very last moment. If things go well the back line will be Hector-Hummels-Boateng-Kimmich. If Boateng is out my guess would be Rüdiger from Chelsea to take over his spot.

HomietheClown repped this.
  9. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Many people predict Mexico to go through with Germany. There are few that see Sweden advancing. I don't know why to be honest. Mexico dominated CONCACAF qualfying but the level there was pretty bad if you ask me. USA was a shadow of itself, Costa Rica is much much weaker than 2014. Costa Rica looked helpless against Mexico in both games. It wasn't because of Mexico's superiority. Costa Rica just looked horrific. Recently they also got outplayed in large stretchs by Tunisia in a friendly. No need to speak about the level of Honduras or Panama.

Sweden dealed with much much better oppositions. France, Netherlands and Italy in the playoffs. It is right that Sweden has seen better teams in the past but this team is hard to crack down and they are a very strong unit now after Ibrahimović retired from national team. Sweden's biggest weakness is the lack of creativity. They struggle to create chances against decent teams. The only player that could do something for them in this regard is Forsberg from Leipzig.

Despite the lack of creativity Sweden can absolutely advance from this group. The key will be to beat South Korea in the opening game. South Korea left a mixed impression in its March matches. They had many turnovers in their own half and looked naive and got scored on very easily. If they don't fix that Sweden doesn't need to be creative in order to win. It would be enough just to capitalize on those mistakes Korea is making.

If Sweden has the three points in the bag they can play their defensive football against Germany and Mexico and can frustrate these teams, especially Mexico. In my opinion four points and a positive goal difference will be enough to seal progress to Round of 16. If Sweden can get that win against South Korea they will be in the driver seat to advance.

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  10. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Having said all that my favourites to advance from this group are Germany and Sweden.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am torn. I like Osorio (I know just by saying this I will get tomatoes thrown at me by Mexican and Colombian fans)
    But he is still learning on the job as they say when ti comes to competitions and the National team game.
    I think it comes down to that last match against Sweden and it can go either way. Sweden having the tactical edge and the physicality could put them through

12. megadeath

megadeath Member+

Oct 10, 2009
    Mexico fan here. We are ready for anything. If it’s one thing we know is that Mexico can be unpredictable. We can have a good tournament or be awful. Las WC we only made it because of a miracle and they almost pulled it though against a very good Dutch team, OR we can go 3 and out. The defense is horrible and Osorios crazy tactics so it would not be all that surprising.

13. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I think we go 3 and out.

14. If we know anything...is that MEX IS consistent.

We consistently go out on R16, no matter how we came in or how we play or what group we are in.

94: Mexico, Ireland, Italy, Norway,
    98: Netherlands, Mexico, Belgium, South Korea
    02: Mexico, Italy, Croatia, Ecuador
    06: Portugal, Mexico, Angola, Iran
    10: Uruguay, Mexico, South Africa, France
    14: Brazil, Mexico, Croatia, Cameron

Every time we have had to duke it out with a European for a spot in R16, we win it.
    We have not lost a group game to Italy (2T), Brazil(T), Netherlands(T), Croatia (2W) or France(W). 3-4-0 (W-T-L)

Sure, every time in hindsight the nay-sayers will tell you that Belgium Norway/Ireland weren't good, Belgium had too many holes, Croatia was no the same as the previous WC, France was a shadow of itself... Croatia though they have great players they didn't gel....

They'll tell you that in hindsight ... but how many picked us to go qualify from the group.

Could we go 3 and out, yes ... can we tie GER and beat KOR and SWE.... yes.

As long as we don't get blown out by GER I like our chances ...

BorisG and HomietheClown repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The only thing is Mexico has not faced a team as good as Germany in the first match day in the streak of getting out of the Group.
    Losing the first match could be killer on the team morale and confidence depending on how bad the goliada is.
    That could put them one foot out the door before the tournament really gets started.

16. 100%
    a 3-0 or more whooping will kill us.
    a 2-0 ... we might be able to make up the goal diff
    a 1-0 is not too bad (assuming germany also beats SWE)
    and obviously a tie puts us in a great spot (a la '14 vs CRO)

HomietheClown repped this.
  17. megadeath

megadeath Member+

Oct 10, 2009
    This is why we are praying for a Xmas miracle. Lol. Either way I’m good. Will be getting laid in Moscow no matter what.

18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Germany wins the group and Sweden takes second place.

19. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #144 Kamtedrejt, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    To make it clear. I don't find Sweden necessarily stronger than Mexico. They are both roughly on the same level but it's obvious that the playing styles are very different.
    But I said it already in the Group C thread. The schedule can be crucial in determining who goes through and who not. Again, the UEFA team Sweden has the more comfortable schedule imo. Denmark in Group C has the advantage over Peru with playing last with France. Sweden's advantage here is playing the weakest opponent first. But more importantly Mexico has the disadvantage with playing Germany first. Sometimes it can be helpful to play the favourites first but that's certainly not the case with Germany. Over the decades Germany has proven that they start off their campaigns mostly in strong fashion and get almost always the victory. Often with high scorelines. Before the tournament it looks pretty much as 50:50 between Mexico and Sweden or Mexico has very slightly the uperhand according to most odds. But let's say the first Matchday ends like this:
    Germany-Mexico 3-1
    Sweden-South Korea 2-0

If I had to predict now Matchday 1 these would be my scorelines.
    Those scorelines would leave Mexico trailing Sweden by four goals just after one game. This would leave Mexico under enormous pressure to win both remaining matches as it would be very very hard to overtake Sweden by goal difference. This schedule could turn out to be a massive handicap for Mexico. I can feel it already. Mexico will go into the last game against Sweden needing a victory. Sweden can rely on their defense and play a somewhat similiar game like they did against Italy in the playoffs. That's why I like Sweden's chances much more.

20. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Sweden played the same way against Mexico like they did against us, I believe they will lose. Mexico is a lot stronger than us right now, and it won't work. They were very lucky not to even concede a goal against Italy, and we were a terrible team.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sweden is going to have to do to Mexico what teams like the USA have done to them in the past. Use their physicality and height to their advantage.
    And Sweden also has skillful technical players when compared to Estado Unidos so I can see them winning even if they play like they did against ITaly.

That said, I can see Mexico winning too. So in most cases like this that are too close to call I usually predict a draw.

22. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Depends on which Osorio shows up.

23. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Yepp i agree, we were a terrible team too, and we won!

24. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    sweden is a tough team to play against as anyone could see in the qualifiers. toughest group and toughest opponent in the play-offs but they navigated through it.... so no doubt, well-deserved.

HansWorldCup repped this.
  25. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Spain & Brazil worry me to...as I see them as part of the group of 4 main favorites...but they're not quite as loaded across the board as we are or as the french are.