What Two Teams Will Make It Out?

Discussion in 'Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA, Portugal' started by Jtsmith1, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What Two Will Advance?

1. Germany

91.8%
  2. Ghana

18.6%
  3. USA

41.4%
  4. Portugal

44.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Says the dude that won Ghana with a German who can't speak English at a fluent level with the winner in the last minutes

2. AmericanArsenal

Jun 12, 2013
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think we ever got off the thread topic. Germany and USA will make it out of the group. You sure Besler is even gonna play? Also I laugh at the fact you believe Ronaldo is 100%. Pretty gullible.

3. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Four tetchy posts in a row, lol. Should be an interesting match. The only person here making excuses and confident predictions is yourself.

wsmaugham and AmericanArsenal repped this.
  4. AmericanArsenal

Jun 12, 2013
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe Pepe sucks because you let two in with him on the pitch.

MSUDuo repped this.
  5. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Difference is I have stayed balanced in my opinions and showed respect to the USMNT. You guys are carrying on in stereotypical American manner unlike your players which have been very realistic with the task at hand

6. AmericanArsenal

Jun 12, 2013
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have plenty of respect for Portugal and it's fans. This hypothetical will show you where we are coming from.

Do you think you will beat Belgium assuming you finished 2nd?

7. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Don't include me in your ridiculous over generalization. I don't actually think we are going to win.

8. Klose_fan

Klose_fan Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    merica.jpg

Supporting your team is being cocky? Well there ya go!
    Just saying US has a good chance to win, not a complete write off this go around. Sunday will hopefully be a good game.

9. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    To me losing Coentrao is a big blow for Portugal, the guy is just great and without him we are stuck with flippin Andre Almeida. :mad: I don't know how the game will go on Sunday but I don't feel too confident.

10. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Would you have the same opinion if it happened to Ronaldo? I very much doubt you would.

11. AmericanArsenal

Jun 12, 2013
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If hummels makes contact with Ronaldo with his head then hummels would probably get beheaded then dragged around the pitch from a horse.

12. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    I agree Coentrao is a great player was very solid for Real as well was about time, that he got past Marcelo.

I admit, that I am biased. I just hate Pepe, always diving, playacting, rolling around on the ground, complaining, crowding the ref etc. all the while being one of the most dirty players, that I ever saw. Just a thoroughly disgusting player. I would even cheer if Müller would have been 10 meters away from Pepe when going down. Everything that gets Pepe off the field is a good thing in my book. Couldn't happen to a nicer player.

13. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Always? How many games have you seen from him lately? I really cannot understand this mentality. Pepe deserves to be sent off but aside from that famous challenge in Spain he hasn't been that bad. Ask Real Madrid fans.

14. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    I have watched a lot of Real games this season probably more than any other club, being somewhat of a Real sympathizer myself, and he was very well behaved for the most part. If you are steamrolling 95% of the opposition it is easy to keep your temper. But every time the going gets rough the dirty comes out, big time. Just can't stand this guy, will be happy when he is gone from Real, much more likable team that way.

15. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    In the NT, he was never like that, even while losing to Germany by 3-0 in 2008.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  16. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    #341 Chess_Panther, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    I think the reasons that led a short temper guy like Pepe to burst out is because he hasn't been playing for some matches, is rusty (and on the verge to decline and quite possibly lose his spot to Varane), he knows he is to blame for the 2nd goal and like the rest of the team he suffered a meltdown (of another kind) when the defense was being raped (due to an all attack strategy). Too much for him to take in. Especially when he expresses his frustration with anger. And when he saw Mueller having a Cinderella fit on the ground...

Ultimately the red card was given due to his reputation as I have seen players doing that ever since I am alive and very rarely a red card comes out. I do think it's unfair no matter how you put it. But it might be a blessing in disguise as Neto seems to be the most fit CB. He has good pace, agile and anticipates himself well to crosses. However, a CB with good positioning must play beside him and this is the reason why we need Bruno Alves on the field.

Hopefully Pepe will learn from this and come back better than ever against Ghana. Against teams with more reputation we will always get the short end of the stick. Maybe they can't do anything against soft PKs, but in these cases of potential outburst they have to learn to restrain themselves.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  17. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It was a deserved red, no excuses for that. This group is still open, if Portugal get their act together mentally they are still in an ok position to go through. Tonight's game is do or die for us, though, and the US aren't a team to roll over. We can do it, though!

18. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow what a game! Really thought the US had it, but a bad giveaway and a world class cross by Ronaldo stole the tie. I was glad to see the US play a much more controlled match and get good posession and take shots on net from distance. Howard made some incredible saves, and the D played far better then I thought capable. But 2 mistakes is all it takes to cost your side 3 pts. A complete mental lapse by Cameron on that first goal. The worst play I have seen from the US this tourney. Nani made a nice finish on the chance. And Bradley losing the ball in the center, combined with poor marking by the backline.

But when you play a top side its those little mistakes that cost you. That aside I really thought the US were the better side overall. Ronaldo was essentially a non-factor for 94 mins and 50 seconds. Does that guy know that you play on both sides of the pitch? LOL.

Thursday will be an interesting day. The US and Portugal have to travel further, and on 1 less day of rest for their final group matches. Ghana looked good against Germany, hopefully they get a draw v Portugal. And I still give Germany the edge over the US, but a draw is not unrealistic for them Thursday.

19. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    So with a user name like yours , whats your prediction for the Germany -USA game ?

zahzah repped this.
  20. AmericanArsenal

Jun 12, 2013
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A beautifully played game of keep away. Howard and Neuer picking dasies for 90 minutes.

21. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    I don't think they'll do that , but if they did, I wouldn't blame them . They have earned the right to be in that position.

22. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly am not sure. I expect Germany to come out and play the win. I don't expect them to hold back. Of course they won't want any injuries, but I just don't see them playing for the draw. As for the US. Hell I don't know. I want them to come out and get the W, but again with 2nd round considerations and not wanting injuires it may just end up being a game of keep away.

23. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Didn't the Dempsey goal have the same luck involved as the Nani goal, clearly Howard made the better saves over Beto. With that aside, even if you look at the stats, which suggest it was an even game, USA was playing a Portugal team that is wounded, basically at 60%, so it still doesn't reflect well on your team.

24. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow look at all the excuses flying. Its funny to read these given I have heard the mexican'ts around here say the exact same thing about the US fans. LOL

Look the bottom line is this, you play with the team you have available. Period. Portugal took advantedge of 2 US mistakes and capitalized on them. Congrats to them. Overall, the better team was the US. But in the end that doesn't really matter. All that matters is the final score and that draw is what we have.

Needless to say Ghana should beat Portugal, and who knows what will happen in the US v Germany match. Maybe the close ties between the 2 will result in a draw.

wsmaugham repped this.
  25. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Look, excuses are one thing, but circumstances do exist, and truth is the USA was in a better position for that game over Portugal.

Anyway, with that said and done, I have been impressed by the USA and no doubt they deserve it over Portugal. I am embarrassed and ashamed right now so I am just acting out. I have to wait 4 years for this bitter taste to leave. I hope by then Ronaldo is no longer on the team or he finally matures into what a leader should be. This WC has shown that bringing in youth as worked wonders, Portugal is just too old right now, but our youth teams have been very successful. I do wish we had that self believe and desire I see from the USMT.

If dreams do come true, I would like to see the USA beat Germany and for Ghana to steam roll Portugal(our Manager would then finally be fired) and then USA and Ghana go through.