What Two Teams Will Make It Out?

Discussion in 'Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA, Portugal' started by Jtsmith1, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What Two Will Advance?

1. Germany

91.8%
  2. Ghana

18.6%
  3. USA

41.4%
  4. Portugal

44.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really think Germany is the only team that can beat Brazil? Mexico drew them 0-0. Brazil was perhaps the better side but they still didn't score and have not looked like world beaters at all. Dutch looked flat out scary. Germans look like Germany always does. Frankly I think Ghana would give Brazil a tough game. They match up well with them.

2. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You heard it here first...Costa Rica can beat England. Not just draw England...beat them.

orcrist, AmericanArsenal and Guinho repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Apparently we now have a 50% chance to advance.

But you know what. Let's go for no 1 spot. If we beat Portugal, we need to try and beat Germany.

Insane I know but I'm high on victory over Ghana. That would lead to back to back top spots in World Cup group stages. The kinda respect and prestige we need on the world stage.

4. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Escaping this group at all is enough for any nation to be proud of.

12th Player repped this.
  5. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I'm quite sure it's actually better than 50%. 538 has it higher, like 60 to 70% if I'm not mistaken, FWIW. We are a team full of professionals that has a five goal differential and three point advantage over our strongest rival with two games remaining. We need to draw Portugal. If not, we still have paths to advance. Portugal doesn't win against us, and they are nearly eliminated. Ghana is apparently in disarray and faces a very strong Germany who has everything to play for.

Guinho repped this.
  6. Purple Monster

Purple Monster New Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Germany. Not so sure about the other one. Could be any really, competition is probably going to be pretty tight for that spot. I think that the US and Ghana are quite underrated for what they are and the Portuguese team is overrated, the three have their strengths and weaknesses so it's all a matter of how they end up doing against each other.

If I could pick any two based on which teams I personally like best, I'd pick Ghana and Portugal.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The 'reports' are hogwash. There were claims that 'players revolted and didn't train'. But the headcount a journalist did had 23 players training. There were claims of open revolt. Asamoah Gyan laughed out at the suggestions claiming its beyond ridiculous - dissapointed yes, but who wouldn't be. Thats about as much as you can place on these reports.

Here's a picture from yesterdays training of one of the 'revolting players' (the guy on the right):
    [​IMG]

Nothing to see here...

The players were unhappy with the hotel in Natal (there were problems there), hence they flew right back to their hotel in Maceio after the game. But thats pretty much as far as it goes according to insiders (including associated press).

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  8. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Given how Russia performed against Korea yesterday, are you surprised about Portugal who came behind them in their qualifying group?

Not to take anything from Mexico and their heroic keeper, but Brasil was definitely the better side.

If we beat Portugal and qualify for R16, then Klinsy has to think about conserving his resources for a minimum of 2-match run. And given our condition and health issues, as well as our lack of depth, I would plan accordingly for the Germany match.

LouisianaViking07/09, zahzah and Guinho repped this.
  9. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    I'm really convinced by american chances against Portugal. the team US is very dangerous when they are concerned by the qualification.

10. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #310 raviept, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    The qualification record doesn't mean much with Portugal. Teams sometimes implode. Portugal finished behind Denmark for the WC2010 and Euro 2012, while doing much better in the respective tournaments and reaching the semi-final of the Euro. Or finishing behind Poland for Euro 2008 while only being defeated by a narrow margin against Germany.

Netherlands reached the final of WC 2010, imploded in 2012, and seems to have come back. Not that I think Portugal is at the same level as Netherlands, but it's easy to beat on us and say "I told you so", as if what happened with Germany really showed the true value of the team. I am still convinced that at their best they are still a top 10 team. Of course, FIFA rankings are absurd, but I never thought we deserved to be in the top 6 for a moment. Right now, they are clearly not at their best, with too many injuries and players in a poor shape. The team will have to be completely renewed after the WC.

I would say that Europeans underrate Ghana and USA, mostly for ignorance, but they did not overrate Portugal basing on recent performances in the last three tournaments. Nobody saw this team as a better side than Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands and Spain. It was more organized and disciplined than some, but that just changed with the Germany game. Many factors played a role, including poor preparation.

11. Klose_fan

Klose_fan Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Still Germany #1 no doubt.
    Waiting for US v Portugal to make my 2nd choice.

Chili and Netherlands looking like our toughest competition down the road.
    Will see how Swiss plays France.
    Argentina has no competition in group.
    No one else comes close....

12. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see Croatia today? They were clicking on all cylinders. Yes against the worst team in the show but still they looked very very good. And it IS in Brazil. Even though they have not really impressed me yet they are Brazil at home.

13. Klose_fan

Klose_fan Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Croatia lost 3-1 to a Brazil team that barely showed up.

14. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree. I saw both their matches and while I was impressed with their midfield they have too many flaws to be a serious contender. Maybe, they will get to the quarters/semis, but I do not expect more than that. A more serious opponent might be Colombia. I am curious to see how they perform today. Chile defended pretty well against Spain, but that game against Australia leads me to believe that they are really vulnerable to crosses. A short defense might not work against Germany, or even Italy. Though, their 3 CB works quite well against a possession team like Spain.

15. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A very flattering scoreline for Brazil due to some....exaggeration in the box. The way that game was going a draw was a distinct possibility until the 3rd goal went in.

16. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    All these cocky USA fans, I must of been watching a different game v Ghana

17. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    Well let's say it is a nice day out and you are enjoying a nice walk in the park, then you see a vendor who is selling delicious ice cream. Seems like he doesn't have much left but you would very much like some of this delicious treat. So as you stroll towards the guy, you try to overtake an other walker who just sticks out his arm and slaps you in the face, intentionally. It is not a very hard slap mind you, but am I to believe, that you would just say:"Well thank you kind sir, wonderful day out for slapping, isn't it? I'll be on my way then!" and be on your way? Or would you actually do something about that guy going around slapping people? Personally, I would probably slap him right back, you might just as well go to a police officer and file a complaint. There are other rules on the football field though, can't just slap back, will get you suspended only way is to call attention to it by going down. Otherwise you can have yourself slapped and kicked and elbowed by a scumbag like Pepe all game long. No thx. Müller did the only right thing to do.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    So if someone slaps you in the face you will carry on like a whimp just like muller, I've got it now

CDPontaDelgada repped this.
  19. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal win go through I remember in the playoffs we tied 0-0 in Sarajevo and in the 2nd leg it was 50% chance for both and we won 6-2

Portugal are a team that thrive on pressure and with Luis Suarez and Messi having good games so far Ronaldo will be hellbent on winning

20. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    Na, I would get him send off for stupidity and then score a hattrick like a boss, just like Müller.

El Naranja, NMMatt and AmericanArsenal repped this.
  21. AmericanArsenal

Jun 12, 2013
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I must have watched a different Germany game too. Because Portugal was a flat out embarrassment.

22. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Says the dude whose team just lost 4-0. :rolleyes:

23. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would love to see the USA out their with 11 men let alone 10 men and one of the best LB injured and only concede 2 goals after Pepe sent off

24. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Let them enjoy that victory against a dominant Ghana that can't cross to save their lives 38 crosses for Ghana so many crossed balls that Besler pulled a hammy trying to head them out against Portugal and Germany it's direct players running at you cutting you into peices players like bealer and Beasley won't cope with that

A victory over the weakest team in the group and they think they can win the World Cup

25. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Back to the actual thread Ronaldo 100% clear to play this game and reports saying he will play CF

Besler is ********ed