What to do with Omar in 2016?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by met999, Sep 20, 2015.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really hard for me to isolate Omar's performances from the problems behind him (GK) and in front of him (CDM). I think his lack of confidence in his GK and DM has him making bizarre decisions coming out for balls that would normally be handled by one of those players. He didn't just become terrible overnight.

TrickHog, kaburu, WarGalaxy and 3 others repped this.
  2. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but you forgot who his center back partner was, which also makes it hard for him to just do the normal/right defensive thing.

But, absent some changes in the rules, I guess we will get to see if he returns to form wearing some other shirt.

3. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's even more convoluted when you take into account SUM and the different companies that run stadiums but that's for a different thread. It's the kind of accounting that would make Mel Brooks proud. :)

73Bruin repped this.
  4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #204 skydog, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    My disappointment in Omar isn't that he is a bad player; it's that he hasn't become a real leader in the back. With his experience, talent, and the payroll he is getting he should be the one barking orders, organizing the defense, leading by example, outworking his teammates if at all possible. And yes making the decision himself whether or not to clear the ball when he has a shaky keeper behind him. His playing style should be the MLS equivalent of Rio Ferdinand in his glory days at Man U, not the style of the 34 yo Ferdinand who was just hanging on.

I like the guy but he doesn't have the natural competitive fire of a Keane or a Beckham. Or the push for self-improvement of a Zardes. Omar's confidence is obviously down and he plays more tentatively than when he started out. I'm sure JK undermining him didn't help. Not sure what the fix is but he needs to do better. Bruce needs to help him get his confidence and swagger back. But ultimately, it's on him.

5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this is fair as we have had a good defense in previous years (and at the beginning of the season). He suddenly hasn't lost his ability to be a leader. Why are we using two months to judge his leadership ability?

Now this I agree with. I'm not burying my hand in the sand and saying, "everything is great!" Do think the problems in midfield has led to a loss in confidence and there are times he looks like bambi on skates.

I don't know if I can agree with this either. Case in point: his work on his distribution. Much, much better this year.

Keane and Beckham are loud and vocal. LD and Omar are quieter in nature (though Omar is a character). That doesn't make them any less likely to have a natural competitive fire. It just may be introverted. (Side note: there is a book called "Quiet" that talks about exactly this.)

WarGalaxy and kaburu repped this.
  6. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas?! It's just a rumor, but I would not trade Omar for Dan Kennedy.

Geneva repped this.
  7. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but only if they take Leo & Gerrard too. And give us Hedges.

8. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dan Kennedy is not that good of a goalkeeper, guys AND he's past his prime as well.

WarGalaxy, LEM-LAG, Berks and 1 other person repped this.
  9. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. He seems almost immobile. We would be swapping one "best if used by" for another "past his sell-by date" keeper

Lazy Assed Assassin and Geneva repped this.
  10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely. It was @skydog who alerted me to Kennedy's sub-par goalkeeper stats in several convincing posts, plus watching him. No thanks.

WarGalaxy and 73Bruin repped this.
  11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Besides who the hell wants to go home when that home Dallas? (Apologies to the kind Galaxy folks here on BS that live in Dallas and did me a huge favor years ago)

TrickHog repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, offering Kennedy for Omar is like someone offering you their debt in return for your savings.

Berks, WarGalaxy and Geneva repped this.
  13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you bring up a good point from following social Omar on social media he seems to really enjoy LA and SoCal (why wouldn't he).

73Bruin repped this.
  14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I agree plus the equally important question, especially with a young child is where is his wife from or family live. If they live in SoCal then I can't see the desire to go back to Dallas.

15. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Omar simple

[​IMG]

16. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, having kids, I understand the strong desire to be close to relatives, particularly grandparents. I don't know his exact situation, but I would think that would be the only possible driver of a move. He's not getting more money anywhere else (or probably even the same, on form) and we know he loves the team, coach, and his teammates. Still, family can be a POWERFUL motivator.

17. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sell him, he has been moving backwards in development and we can get SO MUCH more for that money. If we didn't have a silly cap I would want to see him stay but not worth it now

100fyers repped this.
  18. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Sorry but thats not correct. Selling Omar only opens up the portion of his salary up to the DP cap level (less than 1/3 of his actual salary). The current version of the rules don't list how much of the sales price for a player the Galaxy get, but my recollection was that it was 30 percent and even less was available as allocation money that could be used for upgrading the roster the rest (and I believe the majority) went to the club for non roster purposes.

I don't think you will be able to clearly get a better player for that amount. You might but it will be a gamble, kind of like signing the Galaxy's wonderful English midfielder.

Berks repped this.
  19. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hear hear abolish that silly cap! Or at least make it respectable?

20. Esc-soccer

Esc-soccer Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Inland Empire, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is good news for the team. This means more and better options to sale or trade him.

21. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Gerrard decamps for Liverpool as rumored, that solves the Omar problem

kaburu and Berks repped this.
  22. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you think of any possible reason Liverpool would want him back? I can't. As a player, that is. As a junior coach earning his badges, then yes.

23. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wishful thinking?

galvanator repped this.
  24. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    I'm a pretty big Liverpoool fan and I think most of the tea leaves are pointing towards SG keeping his fitness up, doing some coaching, that type of thing. Sounds like Klopp wants him around the building as a role model, and they definitely want to keep him involved with the club, I think that's the main idea. The optimist in me would like take his talk about the challenges of MLS and this news as a sign he wants to get into great shape for his last season.

25. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    The pessimist in me, sees just the opposite in your comments. At best it implies he was not in great shape for the MLS campaign and never got in great shape during four months of training and playing with the Galaxy. This sort of corresponds with what we saw on the field.

Frankly, I hope he does go back to Liverpool as a coach at a minimum. Perhaps he goes back in the Ryan Giggs role where he comes on as a late substitute. I doubt MLS or the Galaxy would want much in a Transfer Fee if he does go as a player-coach.

The Cadaver repped this.