What to do in rural areas that never had soccer...

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by dredgfan, Jun 23, 2018.

1. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then help build a program. I've invested almost 7 months into building up soccer in Sabine Parish. (Louisiana has parishes, ya'll have counties. Blame Napoleon.)

This is the biggest few weeks ever. Sabine Parish has never had a soccer program of any kind. I have teamed with an NPSL team an hour away in Shreveport, Rafters FC, to bring the kids to the game at just a couple bucks a child. Also the college 40 minutes away in Natchitoches is helping with a day camp.

Tired of all the political bickering, mostly from folks who won't ever stop arguing long enough to make a positive change in their community? Tired of Pro Rel types thinking that will fix everything? Then at least go to these pages and share, so we can bring the game to one of America's 30 Poorest Cities according to USA Today last week.

Sponsor a child at the day camp for $5.

https://www.playyon.com/sabinesporting/

Help buy goals, flags, chalk, and other training equipment.

https://gofundme.com/help-fund-sabine-parish-sports

SeminoleTom, Len, CeltTexan and 4 others repped this.
  2. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to the anon donor who mentioned Bigsoccer.

4. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you are to be commended for actually doing something.

5. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am starting to realize how rich Lamar, Kraft, and AEG were. Only 300 bucks to the Go Fund Me so for. So I bought all the goals except full sized. Have a meeting in front of community Rotary club Tuesday. Without further investment, I won't be able to have goals for the older kids to have a league until next school season.

6. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made the front page of the local paper 3 times last 3 weeks. No one reads the paper anymore. On the flip side, the paper doesn't drop off a stack of papers at the local coffee shop anymore either. Leave a free and a stack of 20 and I bet they'd sell more papers.

CeltTexan repped this.
  7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Organize U.S.A. National Team watch parties in your town. For both our men and women. Louisiana folks will turn up for food, beers and a team to support. Louisiana folks are very patriotic as well. Inspire them with a football team in red, white and blue that brings folks together. A watch party should go over well with party loving, good time having Louisiana folks. The sport sells itself. It is just newbies to soccer have to meet the sport and have a good time with it. Repeat.
    Get the youngsters to become watchers of association football on top of playing the sport!

dredgfan repped this.
  8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Atlanta represent the South at the moment. Have you approached them to see if they can help or if they have any fund raising ideas? Make sure you include details of their success in your presentations. I suspect anyone who's not a US soccer fan has no idea that MLS teams can attract more than 70,000 fans.

dredgfan repped this.
  9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 CeltTexan, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Um, Houston Dynamo are the dominate MLS club of our USSF Region III designated association football. Winners of two MLS Championships. Dallas with one Open Cup. Atlanta and Orlando with no silverware. Nashville and Miami to begin play soon.
    Atlanta fans have done well to turn up for their new team. Miami gets a second chance to support their MLS team. Houston are proven league and CONCACAF region class representatives of Southern U.S.A. soccer.
    Our FO has dropped the ball recently so correct on one point, Atlanta and Blank have the ball in their court to take the lead for pro soccer away from us in Houston.

Paul Berry repped this.
  10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the USSF regions, but states on the east coast like Florida and Georgia are not always considered in the same region as Texas. Atlanta United is closer to D.C. than to Dallas and Houston.

11. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14 goals later we doing swell

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you.
    Do recall that what is considered "closer" for most folks on Earth that love the beautiful game, close is the rival down the road. Or the city a few miles away.
    In American, Russian, Canuck terms of soccer and derbies to be enjoyed, one must think that regions are gonna be large. I.e. expansive in scope.
    Here is what our U.S. Federation outlined several decades ago.
    [​IMG]

Notice that Region III, the South, had just one MLS representative in Dallas back in 1996 that is still around. Tampa Bay was an original MLS club for Region III but both them and Miami 1.0 were and are not as of 2019.
    Us in Houston entered in 2006, winning two league titles and now an Open Cup.
    Orlando followed recently and now Atlanta has arrived and really done well to represent Region III soccer.
    Nashville and Miami 2.0 are arriving now. Thus our Southern States region has gone from one MLS team to five in very solid, healthy for the league, fashion.