What teams might make their debut in Russia 2018?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Every Four Years, Aug 8, 2015.

?

Which of these teams will qualify for Russia 2018?

1. Panama

26 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. Uzbekistan

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Mali

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. DRC

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. Ethiopia

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Oman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Qatar

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Bahrain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jordan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Iceland

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  11. Finland

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. Montenegro

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Iceland took a giant step towards Russia today with their 1-0 victory today against Croatia, (winning goal coming in the 90th minute). The remaining schedule is more favorable for Iceland than Croatia. The Icelanders now have to be at least a co-favorite for winning Group I and qualifying directly for the World Cup.

Unak78 and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    They would trump Trinidad and Tobago as the least populated World Cup team.

Unak78 and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  3. FastRNL

FastRNL Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Based on current form (Russia 2018)
    Iceland
    Panama
    Uzbekistan

Albania (the next closest team in that category if they not only from Group Spain-Italy)

Historically (off topic)
    Finland (the Finns deserves it more than anyone)
    Zambia (the most respected country in Africa who did not qualify for the WC, better than Senegal and far better than both Angola & Togo even though there is no comparison here)

4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Looking at the groups Zambia looks out.
    From Africa the best two shots at a debutant are Burkina Faso and Uganda with Gabon and Mali not out of contention yet.

5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    BTW I see the poll has DRCongo, but wouldn't DRCongo just be counted as Zaire?

6. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not necessarily. Look at Croatia, they made their debut in 1998 despite once being part of Yugoslavia. Same thing with Serbia and Montenegro in 2006, also once part of Yugoslavia.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Sure. But DRCongo is the same country within the same borders, just with a different name.

Unak78, USOutlaw16, unclesox and 2 others repped this.
  8. FastRNL

FastRNL Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Finland & Zambia for the historic part.
    You're exactly right about Burkina Faso who are in hot form especially after a superb performance in the Africa Cup (I knew I forgot one!).

9. FastRNL

FastRNL Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Totally different
    Croatia becomes independent while the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Zaire is the same country under a different name.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Don't Iceland and Croatia have the same remaining 4 opponents, just in different order? But yeah,... they both have slightly easier schedules than Turkey and Ukraine since the latter two only have one "easy" opponent left. Plus they're two points behind.

11. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #86 Hayaka, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Iceland has Ukraine at home, while Croatia has them away. That is the primary difference, with Iceland not having lost at home in over five years. Then there is the question of motivation. Turkey might already be eliminated by the time they play Iceland in October, and the same for Ukraine against Croatia. No way to know how that will play out.

BocaFan repped this.
  12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And at 330,000 they would set a record that would be very difficult to break.

Hope it happens. Pulling for Island...

Unak78 repped this.
  13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Wish it wasn't the same. The ignomy of that performance still hurts, even if Zaire threw their games in protest.

Unak78 repped this.
  14. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Will be tough for Burkina Faso given they face a resurgent South Africa and a powerhouse of a team in Senegal (Sadio Mane, Keita Balde, Idrissa Gueye, Kalidou Koulibaly, Cheikhou Kouyate). They are only leading the group because they had the easier games.

Uganda looks surprisingly strong given their history. They are leading their group and there recent record is without precedence. Egypt doesn't look that unbeatable...

Unak78 repped this.
  15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The only way it will happen is if due to the expanded 48 team tournament one of the islands qualify like Samoa or Vanuatu. Even than countries like Fiji have larger populations than Iceland.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar 3-2 South Korea

Uzbekistan goes to China and hosts South Korea. If Uzbekistan wins both games, they will qualify. South Korea's streak of 8 consecutive World Cups could end. They have the sixth longest active streak and the longest active streak outside of UEFA (Germany, Spain, and Italy) and CONMEBOL (Brazil and Argentina). The next longest streak of World Cup appearances outside of UEFA and CONMEBOL is 7 by USA.

HomietheClown repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Panama almost took a couple step backwards last night against Honduras after taking the step forward against Costa Rica last week.

It took a late effort to draw los Catrachos at home 2-2.

They still look like they have a good chance at qualifying unless Honduras can beat Mexico and the USA at home which is not impossible (but I wouldn't bet on it).

nfiniti repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is kinda funny that most of us (Myself included) never really talked about Uzbekistan automatically qualifying since Korea and Iran seemed to be shoo--ins.
    When push comes to shove though I think Korea will qualify ahead of them but I am not confident in that pick at all.

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama has a good chance at getting fourth, but that's a playoff against AFC. Panama looks similar to Mexico last time, when they had 2 wins, 5 draws, and 3 losses. Panama has 1 win, 4 draws, and 1 loss. If they lose at Mexico, win hosting Trinidad and Tobago, lose at USA, and draw hosting Costa Rica, Panama will have 2 wins, 5 draws, and 3 losses.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #95 HomietheClown, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    I think they can beat Costa Rica at home in do or die fashion for the final automatic based on those results you predict but I would not be shocked to see them get the playoff spot.
    Lots of crazy things can still happen.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I doubt those results will be enough for Panama to grab third. They probably have to win away against either the US or in Mexico. Then if they win their two home matches that would give them 16 points. That might be enough to top Costa Rica but anything less would likely be insufficient.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know. Costa Rica's only home match left is against Honduras who has proven to get up for them. I can see them losing 3 out of their four and drawing Honduras.

But as I said,crazy things can happen.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That might make it a bit more difficult for Panama to make their debut. I'm guessing they would rather play Uzbekistan or Australia in a potential playoff than South Korea.

24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every team has 2 out of 4 games at home. Costa Rica hosts Mexico on Matchday 8.

HomietheClown repped this.
  25. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    Group A in the AFC has Syria & Uzbekistan competing with South Korea for the final direct spot in the group. Last group games are next tuesday where we could see a new team making their debut.