What teams might make their debut in Russia 2018?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Every Four Years, Aug 8, 2015.

?

Which of these teams will qualify for Russia 2018?

1. Panama

26 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. Uzbekistan

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Mali

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. DRC

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. Ethiopia

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Oman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Qatar

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Bahrain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jordan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Iceland

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  11. Finland

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. Montenegro

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    yes it will be. there is not too great of a gap between the two teams, and besides, playoffs are usually competitive, no matter which teams are playing each other. we saw that, to an extent, even with uruguay vs jordan for 2014. in the first half of the first game, jordan arguably was the better side, but in the 2nd half they conceded 1 goal, and after that it was over.

edcalvi repped this.
  2. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    It's actually 6. There's also this "playoff tournament" thing featuring a team from the host confederation and one team from each of five confederations (excluding UEFA, stupidly, but including OFC - I can't wait to see the Solomon Islands in this thing... :thumbsdown:). This explains it in more detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup#Slot_allocation

What this basically means is CONMEBOL will have 6 guaranteed spots, and a good chance of getting a 7th team in, too. Not a bad deal, actually, though it will kill much of the excitement of the qualifiers. It's mainly UEFA that will continue to have reasonably compelling qualifiers.

3. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I hadn't followed that. You are right. Africa will still be good too, I'd imagine. CONCACAF is a joke though. I guess I was wearing my USA goggles.

4. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wich countries are still on the fight to be debutants in the WC?

If I'm not mistaken just Panama, Cape Verde and Burkina Faso.

Metropolitan repped this.
  5. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    PANAMÁ!!!!

Chesco United repped this.
  6. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    my god they did it. it is a historic day. for once they didnt choke. they were set to choke yet again but in the end they finally redeemed themselves. i guess they deserve it. although they will probably finish as the worst, or second worst team in the tournament.

thedragonrik58 and edcalvi repped this.
  7. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I don't think so. If they can cope with Mexico, Costa Rica and USA, why they should then significantly drop at world cup level? Remember CRC finish in the last 8 last time and Mexico and USA regularily advanced from group stage

8. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    They just looked so mediocre on Friday. Then again we're not going so..... ...

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  9. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah, they did. It actually made me think you guys could have paid them off, but after what occurred today, there's no way that happened.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Bolillo surprised me. He found a way to get Panama there for the first time.

Congrats to them.

Congrats to Iceland too. It was well deserved and they will be the darlings of the tournament just like they were in France.

Venezuela may be added to the list next in 2022. They finished off the CONMEBOL campaign in competitive fashion. Dudamel has them playing with major pride and their U20 players who went all the way to the World Cup Final will be the core base for their 2022 campaign.

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    From Africa Zambia and Mali will be much stronger next qualifying phase. Mali has tonnes of youth players making the grade, while Zambia's next generation of players should put them in contention. Burkina Faso will likely continue to challenge given Bertrand Traore is just 21.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  12. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Told ya mang :coffee:

thedragonrik58 and edcalvi repped this.
  13. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What are the chances of Cape Verde or Burkina Faso making it? @zahzah

14. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    zero

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    SENEGAL GET 2 PTS OR MORE: Senegal need two points in their two games vs South Africa to qualify straight out.

SENEGAL GET 1 PT: If Senegal get one point vs South Africa then Cape Verde will need to overcome a 8 goal deficit (ergo beat Burkina Faso by loads of goals), while Burkina Faso need to overcome a 4 goal deficit. Not to mention both teams could draw which eliminates them both. The only way this is feasible is if South Africa beat Senegal in one of the games by 2 or 3 goals. In that case though Burkina Faso has a much better shot.

SENEGAL GET 0 PTS: South Africa qualifies, the Cape Verde vs Burkina Faso game is irrelevant.

So the South Africa vs Senegal double header would need to end with one South Africa win and one draw. And then either team would have to thrash the other or South Africa would have to thrash Senegal in the game they win.

I would say Burkina Faso's chances are smaller than that of USA getting eliminated. While Cape Verde's are even smaller.

Overall - this almost qualifies in the realm of purely mathematical chances.

MIGkiller repped this.