What teams might make their debut in Russia 2018?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Every Four Years, Aug 8, 2015.

?

Which of these teams will qualify for Russia 2018?

1. Panama

26 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. Uzbekistan

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Mali

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. DRC

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. Ethiopia

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Oman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Qatar

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Bahrain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jordan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Iceland

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  11. Finland

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. Montenegro

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Every World Cup so far has had at least one debutante. I listed the teams I thought were most likely (some more so than others) to make their debut in Russia 2018 in the poll above. What do you think? Do you think any of the teams I listed will make it? Are there teams I didn't name that you think might make it?

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I want to say Panama but their most talented players are old and Bolillo Gomez can screw things up tactically.

I want to say Iceland but that Group is tough.

As for teams you did not mention I think Venezuela is going to make a push to qualify it but probably fall short again.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  3. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    For Panama will be easier qualify to the world cup from the Concacaf final Hex, than qualify from the semi-final group to the final Hex.....
    In its tricky Semi-final group Panama has to face Jamaica, Costa Rica, and Haiti. while a possible Concacaf final hex will include the USA, Mexico ( two tickets) and Honduras- Panama fighting for the third ticket or the play-off against AFC....

4. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela

The eternal challenge of Venezuela is to play in Conmebol, hopefully we make our debut......

5. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I believe that whichever one of Panama or Jamaica advances to the Hex will qualify for the World Cup along with the USA, Mexico, and Costa Rica.

jared9999 and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Wales ever made it?

Qatar isn't a bad guess because they'll be doing everything legal not to be a debutante in 2022.

On the one hand, Panama has been steadily improving. OTOH, their core is damn old. Against whom will CONCACAF's #4 play off? If it's CONMEBOL #5, then Panama is a bad bet. If it's Asia #5, maybe so.

7. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes Wales have made it. And I don't think Qatar will make it. Panama, however, I think has a chance this time with Honduras being pretty weak this time around. Although Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago look pretty strong too.

8. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    DRC made it as Zaire in '74 so you should take them out.

I'm pessimistic and think no team will make its debut in 2018, but if I had to pick one, I'd say Venezuela. Panama would be a good pick but they need to make the final CONCACAF group.

superdave and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  9. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I'm rooting for Panama. They played very well this recent Goldcup, and were terribly shafted by the ref vs Mexico. Yes some of their best players are old, but their U20 team tied Argentina and played very well against Ghana, so they should have some decent youth comming through the works.

Too bad their first group is so tough, and yes it will probably be harder than the hex itself.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF plays Asia.

11. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Three chances here, imo, in order of probabilites.
    1- First World Cup without a Debut
    2- Mali, depending on the African Group they lend
    3- Panama, if they reach the hex

12. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    [Facepalm] I pride myself on my knowledge of World Cup trivia. I don't know how I let that one slip past. Thanks for telling me.

HomietheClown and Yacine9 repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Iceland is looking more and more like a sexy pick for the World Cup.

That being said , we have seen many teams in the past do well in Euro cycles only to follow it up and not qualify for the next World Cup. So I will still be hesitant to say it is in the bag, but things look good.

14. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Speaking of Qatar, am I the only one here who thinks there might be a bit of corruption going on in Qatar's World Cup qualifying campaign? For those of you who aren't following Asian World Cup qualifying, here's some background. Qatar were playing the Maldives away from home. The score was 0-0 going into stoppage time, but Qatar scored the winning goal right before the game ended - after nine minutes of stoppage time. You read that right. Nine goddamn minutes of stoppage time. Ridiculous. It's as if the referee was just waiting for Qatar to score and wouldn't end the game until they did. I seriously believe they might have bribed the individuals who officiated that game. Granted, I didn't watch the game, but nine minutes of stoppage time is seriously fishy. At best, AFC just has crappy match officials. At worst, Qatar might well be trying to bribe their way to the 2018 World Cup so that they aren't debutantes when they host in 2022. Any thoughts?

15. Hideo

Hideo Member

Newcastle United and Shimizu S-Pulse
    Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    While stoppage time of that length is rather unusual it is not so outlandish as to set alarm bells ringing. All it really requires is a bad injury to a player, plus a substitution or two.

For instance, Manchester United's Champions League match with PSV this week had 8 minutes of first half stoppage time caused entirely by one injury stoppage, for Luke Shaw.

A referee would be censured in the extreme for what you are suggesting. I haven't seen it either so can't state definitely whether there was anything suspicious or not, but there is enough clearly dodgy about Qatar without needing to imagine corruption everywhere...

16. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Here is the video of the entire Qatar-Maldives match. I just skipped around a bit in the 2nd half, but almost everywhere I stopped it seemed like play had been halted for an injury, so maybe the 9 minutes was legit.

17. Claudio87

Claudio87 New Member

Sep 18, 2015
    I think that Venezuela should be a good team for Russia 2018 because Venezuela is from South America and everybody knows that nobody plays soccer like the people from South America.

18. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Venezuela is the worst of the South American countries, there's a reason they've never made it to a World Cup and I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon.

19. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    They are better than Bolivia, and have been for awhile. They also came in 6th in qualifying for Brazil, one spot behind qualifier Uruguay, but I generally agree it's a tough hill for them to climb, and will be especially tough for Russia with only five qualifying slots and Brazil back in the fold.

Every Four Years and Doogs repped this.
  20. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    worst teams are Peru and Bolivia and have been for a very long time. Venezuela are a decent team who make it tough for teams to win. Venezuela's never made it because they were very underdeveloped for a long time but with the help of certain people they've made big strides in their development resulting in an increase in quality of their players and tactics.

I think they will indeed make it to a WC eventually, however with the emergence of Chile and Colombia alongside Argentina and Brazil it will be very tough because they'll have to compete with Uruguay and possibly Peru for that 5th spot. They need to become a bit more consistent

as for the 1st poster's question, I think Panama could make it. Their not a bad CONCACAF team however I don't know if they make it in the final phase of the CONCACAF Qualifiers, but I hope they do.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, Venezuela has dug themselves into a bit of a hole here.

Still early on in this marathon WC qualifying... ... but it it not looking good for them at all.

22. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I would bet on Iceland and Panama at this point.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Those picks sound familiar and right now they look much better than when I posted about them.:D

Venezuela looks much better now under Dudamel but it may be too little too late. They can play spoilers though.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Mali has a chance.
    But Ivory Coast and even Morocco will be difficult.

25. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I would say Uzbekistan has a good chance as well.