What Team will be the next MLS side

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by San Diego Socker, Aug 6, 2014.

?

Who will be the 24th MLS side

1. San Antonio Scorpions

14.3%
  2. Minnesota United

28.6%
  3. San Diego

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sacramento Republic

42.9%
  5. Oklahoma City

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. St Louis

14.3%
  7. Indy Eleven

14.3%
  8. Carolina Railhawks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. San Diego Socker

Aug 3, 2014
    San Diego
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alot of activity out there currently for three specific teams, Sacramento, Minnesota and San Antonio. As well with these three teams, what are some other teams and/or cities that have the best chance to be the next MLS franchise?
    San Diego = 8th largest US city and the flash play there already, but that would be a huge jump from npsl and getting a stadium deal done that would be soccer specific in SD.
    Oklahoma City = They have Oklahoma City FC starting play next season in the NASL and the energy currently playing in USL pro.
    San Francisco = This is a money city obviously but does this city want a professional team in downtown, space is limited in downtown San Fran as well so any team here would prob be have to build the most expensive MLS stadium ever because of real estate values in San Fran plus San Jose is not too far away.
    St Louis = Can they get an ownership group with the money to step up and get this city with a long soccer history a pro team??
    North Carolina = Carolina Railhawks have been successful every year in NASL but do they have the organization and attendance to be successful in MLS.
    Indy Eleven = Huge season ticket sales, big attendance and a huge buzz coming from NASL side INDY.

2. BigOlTex

BigOlTex New Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Dallas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My neighbors in the south San Antonio have a great shot at getting in.

My team is getting back to USL pro next season in Austin although it may be tricky to get both of these teams in MLS, but I can hope.

Something tells me there's gonna be a buzz once again in Cleveland for a franchise as well.

I think Indy has the best chance, the MLS doesn't seem to be in any rush to get the 24th team in and that would give Indy a good 4-5 years to iron out everything and become the next expansion. I came on here looking for soccer talk on this particular subject and boom. Thanks

3. BigOlTex

BigOlTex New Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Dallas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the US soccer scene has a great chance to grow with NASL over the next 10 years as MLS has limited expansion. This should be interesting to watch it unfold and see if NASL gain ground and become a big time league . Although why are the staff at big soccer so lazy, they've been moderating posts of mine for more than 24 hours, nothing takes that long to read and supposedly moderate

4. San Diego Socker

Aug 3, 2014
    San Diego
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Congrats on Austin, That whole situation with rawlins up and moving the old austin was crazy. I can't imagine he's the most popular person in Austin

I gotta agree with Cleveland, that whole town is going stir crazy over Lebron coming back to Cleveland and Lebron is a huge soccer fan, and I believe residually there will be a trickle down effect for soccer and that will get the ball rolling on starting up a franchise in Cleveland. Whether It's with Lebron or just investors on there own popping up to try to start a franchise.

Tough to argue with Indy's attendance, and the early support for them. It's is a great sports city, I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two they become the front runner for the 24th spot in MLS. I'm hoping they stay in NASL as I think this is the beginning of something special and I'd like to see great cities like Indy stick around and help build it, but the NASL may still be a good 10 years away from the big time although I hope it's less. MLS is stronger at the moment even though it is single entity, Stone age investing.

I put up a thread on San Diego recently and trying to get a local pro team here, if your checking out Expansion in MLS and NASL it's under NASL expansion for San Diego if ya wanna check it out.

5. Albee

Albee Member

Dec 28, 2007
    As a San Diegan, we're too fickle here, and only really care about the Pads and Chargers, can't see us caring about a soccer team a whole lot. Xolos is right next door playing in a better league just next door, with Americans in the squad.

San francisco (where i currently reside) you can forget about. No room in the city, and real estate is too expensive.

6. San Diego Socker

Aug 3, 2014
    San Diego
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When you compare the world league rankings, the mexican league is average in the big picture and is not in the top 10 leagues in the world, just like the MLS. So why would I want to travel to mexico to see footy that is barely better than the MLS??? It's not like were going to see the EPL, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and La Liga an hour away every weekend. So Tijuana is definitely out, not going to another country to support my local team, I'm an american footy fan and want to see it grow and flourish in the USA!!!

I'm not picky, I would buy season tickets no matter the price (within reason, not gonna pay 50k a year) if we got a pro team (NASL or MLS) here in San Diego, even if that meant I'd have to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches only for a month straight. San Diego is 2 hours from downtown LA or 120 miles. Downtown San Fran is only 50 minutes from Santa Clara or San Jose or about 45 miles. San Fran can realistically support San Jose or drive to Santa Clara, San Diego is not apart of LA.

I do agree with you about San Fran. Simply because the San Jose earthquakes are close by that San Fran will not get a team.