What Team should I support - Part 2 (cont)

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Rick B, Feb 27, 2009.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might want to win the promotion playoff first before recommending people follow Leeds.

2. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am well aware they are not in the premier league-- the thing is that It is just such a dramatic story with Leeds--their long time in the premier league, their relegation, their struggles in the lower ranks of the football league and then up to the championship and then to the point where they are right now. Lots of people follow both a championship and a premier league team. Surely Leeds deserves some fan love.

3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1603 el americano, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    I don't recommend following two teams that may end up in the same league one day. They could already meet in the league and FA cups.

Of course, you can always advocate for your team, I just thought it makes sense to wait until May 27th, when you'll know if they made to the PL. Following a Championship club is definitely a different experience.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leeds lost 4-2 at home to lose the aggregate 4-3. Derby County, who won 1 of 38 games the last time they were in the Premier League, will play Aston Villa in the Final.

5. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    So, support Aston Villa...the bandwagon has seats available

7. cowboymug

cowboymug New Member

Newcastle United
    Republic of Ireland
    Oct 19, 2020
    Great start for Villa

EvanJ repped this.
  8. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leeds is back in the Premier League baby!

9. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the one hand, Newcastle United in on the rise. On the other hand...

10. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leeds, Watford, Wolverhampton, Norwich are all worthy of your devotion.

Whatever you do please do NOT choose the "Big 5"- Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham. So boring.....
    yo-yo teams are always much more interesting.

11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    May as well chose the worlds richest club for your first and last team

Newcastle United .

Should be a rollercoaster of a ride , ending well and you’ll feel part of everything

whatabaoutparis repped this.
  12. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't feel like sifting through 65 pages, so is there a reliable quick history guide for the current teams (and maybe for the Championship teams that have a real chance at promotion)? I've been a Newcastle fan from afar, but they're now dead to me and I want to spend some time choosing a few teams to watch for a bit before deciding.

whatabaoutparis repped this.
  13. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
  14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Maybe West Ham ??

BREAKING: A Czech-based billionaire is within days of agreeing the purchase of a big stake in West Ham United that could lead to a full takeover.

15. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I support Reading because my late mother was from the American Reading, PA.

Tony M repped this.
  16. Courtneysmith

Courtneysmith Member

marseille
    Scotland
    Aug 25, 2020
    Manchester city because they are the only club that matters. right?

seriously your local club whoever that may be.

17. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, currently Norwich and Watford are in the relegation zone and Leeds is almost there at 17th place in the table and may perhaps drop into relegation before the season is over. There are still several fixtures left in the Premier League, but these teams are running out of time to avoid relegation. Realistically speaking the most probable thing is that Norwich and Watford will live up once again to their moniker as yo-yo teams and take the drop.
    These teams need your support now more than ever!!! :cry:
    Surprisingly Wolves is in 8th place in the table!

18. Chickasaw

Chickasaw Member

Spurs
    England
    May 8, 2022
    I suggest Tottenham Hotspur F. C. My team since 1961 when it was the top club in the country and now with a top name who can to compete with Klopp and Pep.

19. EFC MXM

EFC MXM Member

Everton FC
    United States
    May 3, 2022
    You should support Everton, obviously. Especially if you are a masochist. When they win something though, it's going to be amazing.

SF19 repped this.
  20. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope springs eternal in the days before the start of a new Premier League season. Interesting teams in the Premier League this season that are worthy of your support still include Leeds United (sigh of relief!) along with fan favorite Wolves and Nottingham Forest.
    Bournemouth look ready for the drop before the first whistle has even sounded!

21. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adding to the necroposting behavior surrounding this thread...

What I'd like to see in these annual threads that appear in every forum and social media platform is a list or discussion of the fan groups and local communities of these teams. The documentaries on Sunderland and Wrexam are popular because of the focus on the community; that's what people are into.

I think a good question would be, which group would I fit in with the best? It would take a lot of research (joining fan discords, telegrams, etc.) to find that out. I don't think the seemingly popular choices of twitter and reddit are unbiased samples of any team's fanbase. If anyone knows of a write-up describing the fan culture of each team, I'd love to read it.

Tony M repped this.
  22. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--
    I strongly agree. I try to follow Man City because I like Pep Guardiola, but I don't know anything at all about their fan culture. Their Android app is not very revealing.

I support FC St Pauli because of their stance on various social issues, but their app is in German and every news story I see about them is in German. So, I don't know what their fans are saying.

I also tried to follow Rochdale years ago, but on their website their forum had almost no activity.

Here on BigSoccer I have noticed that there is little discussion about issues related to teams and why fans love their teams, except for the very biggest news items. So many comments about teams are just "Go [insert team name]!!!" and that's it.

And so many threads in all parts of the forum have not had new comments in years.

23. Courtneysmith

Courtneysmith Member

marseille
    Scotland
    Aug 25, 2020
    Coventry city because any premier league season is better with them in the premier league than without them but they do need to be there on merit based only on results.

but if i could only pick only one team for the premier league Coventry city would be it?

why? that is case i have yet to work out.

ps I support Aston Villa

24. Chickasaw

Chickasaw Member

Spurs
    England
    May 8, 2022
    Good coach there now