What Team should I support - Part 2 (cont)

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Rick B, Feb 27, 2009.

1. gbyte

gbyte New Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Watch Chelsea vs Manchester United Live Streaming Now

Live here for Free - http://goo.gl/CSXoCz

2. DonnieJ

DonnieJ New Member

Southampton FC
    United States
    Apr 26, 2015
    NewYork
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have SouthHampton at the top of my list along with everton being 2nd I just turned 36 and live in Ny for the past few years I watch premier but keep coming back i have a list of teams to choose from pretty soon I will be picking 95% done.

3. merlintocs

merlintocs New Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, I guess I'm going to have to find a new League Two team...

4. Arnav Hiranjgarbh Missier

May 15, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Manchester United Forever!!!!!!

Regards,
    Arnav Hiranjgarbh Missier

5. DonnieJ

DonnieJ New Member

Southampton FC
    United States
    Apr 26, 2015
    NewYork
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. NebraskaAddick

Aug 26, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am an American, born-and-raised in Nebraska, in the middle of the country.
    I chose Charlton Athletic to root for about 10 years ago. They were in the Premier League then, and since have been relegated, but they're still my pride and joy. Although it's harder to watch games of theirs because they're in the Championship, I do get to see one now and then on BeinSports tv channel. The club shop produce season reviews on dvd every year, so I get to watch all the goals that way.
    There's always some kind of 'hook' that brings one to like a team, be it they have nice uniforms, or have a player one likes, etc. For me, I wanted a London club, and one with an interesting history, and I found it in Charlton. They are the only fan base who formed a political party just to reclaim their home ground from a disinterested city council. And they, the fans, campaigned and they won. I love their player-legends, like Sam Bartram, Keith Peacock, and they have great songs, their fans are among the friendliest in the UK, and they just seem a perfect fit for me.

7. NebraskaAddick

Aug 26, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't pick a team solely because they have a player you like, because then the player may transfer or retire some day and then your team won't have that player you like anymore. But if you're wishy-washy and can change your allegiance with ease, then go ahead.

8. ChiefsCML

ChiefsCML New Member

May 26, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I live in Dallas, TX, USA. I am a 5 minute drive from Toyota stadium, home of FC Dallas, so I have an MLS team. Messi is my favorite athlete of all time and I think he is the greatest ever, so I am a Barça fan, but I now want an EPL team to support. I have narrowed it down to 3 teams: Man City, Liverpool and Tottenham.

Manchester City pros:

- Right next to FC Dallas' stadium is a pub that shows soccer games. A man city fan club is based there. So I have unlimited and easy access to them.

- A lot of players I love (Aguero, Toure, Kompany, Silva)

- very good and exciting transfer windows

- the kits are SOO sweet.

Manchester City cons:

-I don't want to be seen as a bandwagoner (that's not the reason I'd follow them but I hate band wagoners and don't want to be seen as one)

- I already follow a world powerhouse team in Barça, two seems a little too much.

- no real history before 2011-12

Liverpool pros:

- there is a fan club that meets at a pub somewhat close to me, but it's a 40 minute drive

- love the history here

- very nice kits I love red

- I like Sturridge

Liverpool cons:

- definitely seem to have a downward trajectory as far as how good they'll be. Good days are behind them

- manager is bad at landing big transfer targets

- would feel like I'm jumping on because of the history, without having gone through the history alongside the fan base

Tottenham pros:

- Harry Kane might be my favorite EPL player

- decent history, but not so much as to where I feel like I've missed out (if they get good, I could be there for the best part of Tottenham's history)

- great fans, epic new stadium on the way

-London team great vacation city

- I actually think they do a nice job in transfers

Tottenham cons:

- I don't know of any fan clubs nearby, so I don't know how I'd watch every game

- kits are boring

Honorable Mention:
    I love Aston Villa too, their history is decorated, they have a sick kit and an amazing crest, but I don't want to risk my team getting relegated.

What club should I choose?

Thanks,
    Chandler

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What channels do you get? You don't need a fan club to watch the Premier League. As a Manchester United fan I don't like Liverpool and Manchester City. My favorite club from the four you mentioned is Aston Villa.

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    you're going to have to let one of these feelings go.

edit: oh, and you have a roughly zero percent chance of seeing 'the best part of Tottenham's history' without a time machine.

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I really liked reading this. I'd always heard about what a 'friendly club' Charlton were, and I really didn't understand what it meant ... until I went there. I've spoken with quite a few sales reps from quite a few English clubs, and I've never encountered one as friendly an helpful as the girl who somehow got me into a sold out ManU at The Valley in the Fall of '05.

if you've never been, you should really try to get there. it's a wonderful ground stuck right in the middle of an old neighborhood ... it's English footy as it was meant to be. I hesitate to use this word, as I've always been of the belief that you don't choose your club, the club choose you; but ... nice 'choice'.

12. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="ChiefsCML, post: 32293783, member: 28085e ]
    Manchester City cons:

- I already follow a world powerhouse team in Barça, two seems a little too much.

- no real history before 2011-12 [/quote]

huh? They won titles before. Won cups, both domestic and European. So there is History. Plus maybe that history wasn't always glorious but they have history. Still remember watching their relegation in '96, watching a bald headed, tattooed man who I genuinely would be fearful of in a pub, crying his eyes out in public was a good introduction to what these clubs meant to people. And averaging almost 30,000 n the 3rd tier of English football is history.

13. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool it is then. :cool:

14. yankpundit

yankpundit Member

May 28, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good choice on Southampton. They develop tons of players and sell them on. The old days were quite good as well. Had one of the most underrated/best English players to watch every week. Everton is a good club as well. Same sort of thing, they continue to produce a crop of young talent and actually use them.

15. yankpundit

yankpundit Member

May 28, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

huh? They won titles before. Won cups, both domestic and European. So there is History. Plus maybe that history wasn't always glorious but they have history. Still remember watching their relegation in '96, watching a bald headed, tattooed man who I genuinely would be fearful of in a pub, crying his eyes out in public was a good introduction to what these clubs meant to people. And averaging almost 30,000 n the 3rd tier of English football is history.[/QUOTE]
    They had a ton of history. Still remember how strange it was when they were in the old Second Division playoff final at the old Wembley against Gillingham. Lots of City fans running around in America now, but at least they are paying attention. They also relegated Manchester United about 40 years old. Those City teams of the 1970s were no joke.

16. merlintocs

merlintocs New Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I just got tickets to my first ever MLS game later this summer. It's not the Fire but maybe this will give me a secondary team to cheer on.

17. Anayaliahtor69

Anayaliahtor69 New Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Out of the premier league City interest me the most, because in the end even if they win more they still seem like history wise United will always be looked at as the bigger "brother" so to speak. But, I also have an interest in Everton and Liverpool. Liverpool do to their history, and Everton for Tom Howard who is one of my favorite players.

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Tim Howard. I don't think fans of Liverpool or Everton will want you to like both of them.

owian repped this.
  19. Anayaliahtor69

Anayaliahtor69 New Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Sorry my mistake on that, and yeah I know there rivals I have yet to really make a decision just trying to let my team come naturally verses just choosing a team. Those are the three that currently appeal to me with liverpool and Manchester City as the top two.

20. Nucky10

Nucky10 New Member

Jun 15, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Support who ever you like..

21. Paul Quack

Paul Quack Member

May 3, 2009
    Club:
    Northampton Town FC
    Respect to you. And I mean that.

22. Paul Quack

Paul Quack Member

May 3, 2009
    Club:
    Northampton Town FC
    Go for Spurs mate. I used to support them as a small boy. During last year's World Cup we visited friends who live in Tottenham ( both Arsenal fans!!!). We took our young son to the Spurs club shop and since then they're all he and my wife talk about. Harry Kane is God in our house! If Northampton Town draw Spurs in either of the cups then there's big trouble around here.

23. Speedydd

Speedydd New Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I have taken my time with this decision. I want a club to choose me. I have spent the last few years trying to figure out what club has captured my heart. Two clubs have consistently had my attention: Crystal Palace and Norwich City. Just when I think one has won my loyalty, the other makes me doubt.

24. Abdulatif

Abdulatif New Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  25. Benando_NFFC

Benando_NFFC Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'm conscious of the array of North American users on this site so I'm keen to be enlightened.

So without sounding like a complete ass, why do you feel a need to support or follow more than one club?

I only have eyes for one team and follow my side home and away, but don't feel I need a team from every country in the world - I have enough bother with this team alone.

I watch PL but that is more so for the love of football and seeing the best players produce moments of magic. I don't feel the need to extend my support to another team and the same goes for any country outside of England.

Is it a cultural thing? I'm interested is all.

Phoenix Rising repped this.