What team do you want to avoid in second round of AFC qualifiers ?

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by jagum, Feb 15, 2015.

1. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    And what would be a group of death and a group of life ?

Use the latest Fifa ranking

2. Football Asia

Football Asia Member

Oct 17, 2014
    No first seed team should want to avoid anyone

Group of death:
    Australia
    Saudi Arabia
    Thailand
    North korea
    Yemen/India

Group of life:
    Oman
    Palestine
    Afghanistan
    Bangaladesh
    Timor leste/Mongolia

3. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Tricky group :

Oman - Qatar -Turkmenistán - DPR Korea - Yemen

Very easy group :

Australia - Palestine - Afghanistan - Bangladesh -Cambodia

4. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    I think all the pressure is on the nations with pedigree at this level. They are expected to not just win their groups, but win convincingly, while those in pots 3 and 4 will probably approach this with a devil-may-care attitude. I certainly don't mind who Maldives face, in fact the stronger the group, the happier I'll be.

5. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Pot 3-5 will be interesting, to see how they go against each other and also if they can be competitive against pot 1-2.

6. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Group to avoid:
    Australia
    Jordan
    Vietnam
    Syria/North Korea
    India

The Group I would want for ease is:
    Australia
    Lebanon/Palestine
    Myanmar
    Singapore
    East Timor/Mongolia

7. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #7 chook90, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    Group to avoid:
    Korea Republic*
    Qatar
    Afghanistan
    Korea DPR
    India

Group I think will be relatively easy (with all due respect to the following teams):
    Korea Republic*
    Palestine
    Maldives
    Hong Kong
    Cambodia

1. Some of the lower ranked teams in my "Group to avoid" were considered based more on their past results/pattern against Korea Republic and/or logistical problems of facing that team in an away match. I think all teams in Pot 2 can be very tricky and dangerous to Korea in a qualifying stage (though I certainly hope and moderately believe that Korea will/has improved from 2011-13 qualification campaign).

Just to name a few, Iraq, Kuwait, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia are dangerous teams. I've watched Bahrain during AC 2015 and they are not to be underestimated. Likewise, Lebanon and Qatar, even with the latter's disappointing Asian Cup results, have always managed to put Korea in difficult positions.

Korea DPR seems to cause major headaches whenever Korea Republic meets them, and I picked India solely based on their results vs. Korea Rep in AC 2011 (sorry). Afghanistan seemed to pose serious logistical difficulties for away matches (or perhaps I'm not informed enough of their arrangements) and their relative unfamiliarity to Korea was considered.

2. As for the "Group I think will be relatively easy", I also based the list considering logistical difficulties (or easiness in this case) and other criterion rather than judging solely on expected skill of each team.

I had to pick one team from Pot 2, a group I mentioned above as being seemingly very dangerous, and I had to pick Palestine. Not because I underestimate the talent level of this team, but because I think they are rather inexperienced as of now to play world cup qualifying matches against Pot 1 teams.

Maldives and Hong Kong (pot 3 and 4 respectively) were considered because compared to other South-East Asian teams that primarily constitute pot 3/4, these two teams seemed to pose less hostile away match conditions. Past youth-level tournaments revealed how difficult away matches can be against teams like Vietnam, Indonesia, and Malaysia to name a few. These teams seemed to utilize rough pitch conditions and unfamiliar weather along with their intense supporters' atmosphere.

As for Cambodia, this team was ranked quite low even within pot 5 (with all due respect). And I was tossing between Guam and Cambodia, as other teams in pot 5 such as Yemen, Sri Lanka, and Pakistan seemed to pose logistical problems for Korea Republic. Cambodia seems to be an easier opponent to face because depending on the date of the away match against these teams, Guam might have extreme weather conditions (something I hope Cambodia does not offer).

edrees repped this.
  8. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #8 KiarashM, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    All above mentioned are simply minnows who are bugs to us Asian giants. In all honestly these teams are not a problem for Korea Republic and shouldn't be. Same goes for Iran, Japan and the Aussies.

Sadly they have their own ways to rig themselves through games, so we need to deal with them wisely.

I want Iraq in our group badly. I don't care about other teams, I want Iraq and I want that cocky Younis Mahmoud playing in Azadi Stadium in front of 100.000 Iranians.

Back to the topic question, at the moment I rather have few teams which I'd love to see TM playing against. We haven't played against Japan and Australia for a decade or so, hope we face them soon.

persia1378, Navid1337 and Zandi360 repped this.
  9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It seems a shame that in a confederation with so few top teams that two of them haven't met in a competitive game since 1997 (when we weren't even in Asia). If we make the 3rd round I want to be drawn with Iran, not because I think they are easier than Japan or Korea, I think each team offers different but similar challenges, but because we haven't met yet.

Zandi360 and KiarashM repped this.
  10. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    +1 I want Australia for the same reason in the 3rd round :)

11. Navid1337

Navid1337 Member

Villarreal
    Oct 29, 2014
    Athens
    I don't want to avoid any team in particular, bring on the best in Asia :D

KiarashM repped this.
  12. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I really want to see Iran face Iraq, although I'd rather them face off in the final group stage.

13. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    With friendlies set to be played next week there may be some shifting when it comes to World Cup Seeding. Most likely we're looking at this (assuming Yemen takes care of business in the return leg vs. Pakistan):

Pot 1:
    Iran
    Japan
    Korea Republic
    Australia
    UAE
    Uzbekistan
    China PR
    Iraq (Most potential for movement is this spot with the top 5 in Pot 2 in pole position to grab it)

Pot2
    Oman
    Jordan
    Saudi Arabia
    Bahrain
    Qatar
    Kuwait
    Vietnam
    Maldives

Pot3:
    Afghanistan
    Thailand
    Philippines
    Palestine
    Lebanon
    India
    Syria
    Tajikistan

Pot4
    Kyrgyzstan
    Timor-Leste
    Korea DPR
    Myanmar
    Turkmenistan
    Singapore
    Indonesia
    Yemen

Pot5
    Bhutan
    Malaysia
    Guam
    Bangladesh
    Hong Kong
    Laos
    Cambodia
    Chinese Taipei

Ideal Group:
    UAE
    Maldives
    Palestine
    Timor-Leste
    Bhutan

Group of Death:
    Japan
    Oman
    Palestine
    Korea DPR
    Malaysia

14. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    According to the predicted pots:

Ideal Group:
    Iraq
    Maldives
    Tajikistan
    Timor-Leste
    Bhutan

Group of Death:
    Iraq
    Oman
    Syria
    Korea DPR
    Malaysia

Parisian75 repped this.
  15. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'd take HKG over Malaysia.

16. Parisian75

Parisian75 Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Ideal Group:
    UAE
    Kuwait
    Lebanon
    Turkemnistan
    Bangladesh

Group of Death:
    Japan
    Qatar
    Lebanon
    Korea DPR
    Hong Kong

mdhm repped this.
  17. mdhm

mdhm Member

Southern District FC
    Hong Kong
    Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    Damn right for "group of death"!
    First of all, Japan will qualify easily with 8W/7W1D/6W2D.
    Hong Kong will get ZERO point with big negative goal difference and become the worst 4 teams. That means they are out of the ACQ stage. Same story will happen if the other pot 5 teams in this group too.
    Also, the other three teams will have hard battles to fight for the 2nd place, and probably can't compete the best 4 runner-ups as they can draw all the matches with each other. It will be much worse if Hong Kong steals 1 point from any of them by parking the bus at home. A REAL GROUP OF DEATH - 4 out of 5 will die.

IMO, the ideal group / group of survive should be:
    China
    Vietnam
    Philippines
    Singapore
    Malaysia/Hong Kong

1) Least travel distance.
    2) The 5th placed team can survive in ACQ if they get 4~6 points in these 8 WCQ matches.
    3) If the runner-up wins all the 3rd~5th teams at home and at least draw all of them away, then steal 1~3 points from the group winner, they have fair chance to become the four best runner-ups.

18. Football Asia

Football Asia Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Not sure why Japan would be considered the team to avoid in pot 1 Australia and Korea are clearly better right now.

19. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't know about others but personally I would still say Japan is better. If you are referring to Asian Cup results granted that UAE have been great but their win over Japan was pretty lucky, while similarly Iran has been victim of poor refereeing and also went out in penalties with a man down.

These things happen in a cup competition but on a long-run qualifying campaign top teams will still be more consistent than the others, and Japan is no exception.

persia1378 repped this.
  20. Football Asia

Football Asia Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Not really I known those types of games dont have much meaning especially when theyre won over penalties. I just think they have been regressing for a while and arent at their 2010-2011 form. Im sure theyll be fine for the last round but with a new coach i dont think theyd be the team to avoid in the first round. Australia is inconsistent away so not them either id say Korea looks the best overall right now. I maybe would have said Iran but the whole queiroz situation will probably make for some bumpy moments in the first round but im sure theyll be fine by the final round there is just too much young talents for this team to not make the world cup.

Parisian75 repped this.
  21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Not really fussed. I think that we will be strong favorites to win our home games regardless of who we draw. I also think we can win away against all teams from pot 3 to 5. I think we will get around 19 points and that should be enough to win the group regardless of who we play ie I'm budgeting for one loss and 2 draws.

22. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Surely the more interesting question is "who do we want to play" out of interest/travel opportunities. Looking at Pot 2 you'd probably love to get Vietnam/Maldives who seem to be a step back from the other six (who are all tricky in their own way), but also because they are much closer (and, I've sort of always wanted to go to Vietnam and this could give me an excuse).

Also, assuming we are top seeds (and that AFC runs with the same draw structure for a 5-team group as last time), our first match will be at home, in Perth (that much is known) against the Pot 5 team. WHo would Perth like to get for their first Socceroos match in match in like forever. Could be Bhutan!! Personally, I'd love that just to be able to go to the match screaming "I am the serenest!!!!!"* at the top of my voice for 90 minutes.

J

* - sorry, it's an old reference.

Parisian75 repped this.
  23. Parisian75

Parisian75 Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Can we say that Qatar is the team to avoid from the pot 2?

24. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I posted earlier in this thread that despite Asian Cup results, I think Qatar is a dangerous/tricky team to meet in a qualifying campaign. I think teams that have easier access to basic infrastructure (like airports, hotels, training site, airplane) can enhance their qualification results, which is a long-term/multi-match process, compared to in a short-term tournament where luck is more effective.

This is not to insult or look down on many AFC member nations. I think we can't object to the fact that a number of AFC member nations cannot afford the best support system for their national teams multiple times over a long period of time.

Not sure if I'm making a haste observation, but Qatar's victory over Algeria (at home) might show them regaining their form. And strictly as a Korean national team supporter, I want to avoid Qatar due to our hard time against them last WCQ.

On a different string of thought mentioned on this thread above me, I do not think that Korea Republic is clearly better than other pot 1 teams. In my most unbiased (or pessimistic) voice, I would even say that Korea is weaker than AUS/JPN/IRN on most days, mostly due to our perceived lack of depth at many positions (and other persistent) problems.

Zandi360 and Parisian75 repped this.
  25. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    For me personally Qatar is the team to avoid. They always cause trouble for Iraq. Somehow they managed to beat us twice in the 2010 WCQ (while we beat Australia and China o_O).

But I'm glad we were drawn in Pot 1. I would rather face Qatar or Oman than Japan or Australia no matter what.