What should my friend do about this teacher?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by tcmahoney, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Emmmm.......what about teachers/lecturers who recycle year after year after year?

Assuming the original papers are her own, as they appear to be, then she owns them. Assuming the questions are exactly the same, she's entitled to resubmit them, but she should be aware of practical realities. Teacher #1 will not be happy to have suffered negatively in the comparision test and teacher #2 will find it difficult to believe that she did any work for that particular class, submitted papers notwithstanding.

The best way to follow this up just might be through unofficial, off-the-record channels, fly a ballon and see what the response is and take it from there. The real question, at the end of the day, is how far does she want to take it? She has her As, passed the course (I presume), so what's next?

2. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Wow. Some interesting responses here, and I thank all of you for them.

I had a chance to talk with her some more this week, and seeing as how I arrived at the orginial conversation in the middle of it, I thought she was recycling the papers straight up. She's not. She said she took the papers and reworked them, so I guess she was following uclacarlos' advice.

My guess is that between school, softball and work, she's going to do absolutely nothing other than complain. But that's just my guess.

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Boo-yeah. Read it and weep.

I won. Ya'll lost. Damn I'm good!!

(Note to self: get. a. life.)

Good for your friend. She'll be a better student for this.

4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most schools will kick you out for this; at a minimum she will get an F in this class.

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In that case, she would have a homework assignment that shouldn't prove too difficult:

Appeal that grade by showing the ample bibliography on the pedagogical value of rewrites. If a student re-wrote a paper, then they have not turned in the same paper and they are a better writer for it.