NSR: What Podcast Are You Listening To Right Now? Vol 001

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Q*bert Jones III, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]
    Love and Radio

Nick van der Kolk's Love + Radio features in-depth, otherworldly-produced conversations exploring life’s gray areas through an eclectic range of subjects, from the seedy to the sublime.

https://www.radiotopia.fm/podcasts/love-and-radio

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Big podcast fan here

RHLSTP - might be a bit too British but genuinely the funniest thing I ever hear. Richard Herring is a comedian I have loved for a long time and he is in his element here.

The Adam Buxton Podcast is also fantastic

Others - homecoming, beautiful anonymous, thinking sideways, stuff you should know, under the skin, WTF, Joe Rogan, Distraction Pieces, 99% invisible, This American Life, Serial, Generation Why, The Nerdist etc etc

NORML and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The Eastern Border is great. I'm sort of biased because Latvians are the best people ever.

I guarantee most people here want nothing to do with the bulk of my 'casts, but I want to make special mention of The Rubin Report and Unregistered (by Thaddeus Russell). Rogan is downright fascinating at least half the time.

It might be an interesting story how I found out about The Eastern Border.

NORML and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many podcasts, so little time. The following is my current rotation. I have a ton of others in my queue, but chose not to subscribe and get latest episode unless I know it's gonna be a must-listen.
    • 99% Invisible
    • Dude Soup
    • Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
    • How I Built This
    • It's Always Soccer in Philadelphia
    • KYW Philly Soccer Show
    • Monday Morning Podcast (Bill Burr)
    • On the Mark Golf Podcast
    • On the Spot (Rooster Teeth)
    • Rooster Teeth Podcast
    • This American Life
    • Up First
    • Wow in the World <--- more for my boys during long car rides

NORML repped this.
  7. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rep for Hardcore History podcast, love that show. Coincidently I believe Dan Carlin has been on the Eastern Border podcast before, I really should get around to checking out that show.

Dills repped this.
  8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Carlin was indeed on TEB.

NORML repped this.
  9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine revolve mostly around pop culture, so here it goes. There is one footy related one though.

• The Geekbox
    • The Comic Conspiracy
    • Engage: The Official Star Trek Podcast
    • The CalcioLand Podcast
    • Guardian Radio
    • Fatman on Batman
    • Serial
    • S-Town
    • Chewin' It with Kevin and Steve

10. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Just discovered Up & Vanished which is about a missing girl. It's yet another copy of Serial but a good one so far

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Interesting, though Russell is a bit overblown on campus speech restrictions, among other things. There was one line where he said he would face censure if he spoke about boxing or MMA on campus. Today's NYT features a commentary about tonight's Mayweather/MacGregor match by a philosopher from St. Olaf College.

Timon19 repped this.
  12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    He was last at Occidental, IIRC, so maybe he's basing it on that.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I actually know two people at his current place, Willamette, one a Dean, and another a director of institutional research. I'm pretty sure he's safe to talk about boxing there. I'd be surprised if the same sort of really stupid shit that happened at Oxy happen there.

Timon19 repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    History Matters
    [​IMG]

A history/philosophy show dedicated to the notion that history has something to offer to present debate, hosted by two historians who don't dumb down content for laypeople but who also are accessible and entertaining.

15. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Can you give a link? A search just leads to college courses, JFK conspiracy sites, and infinite decrepit blogs by people who thought this title was punny a long time ago.

16. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    https://soundcloud.com/historymatterspodcast

It seems like if you search for "history matters podcast" in your podcatcher you'll have better luck than just "history matters." Or just search for Patrick Wyman, former MMA fighter and current history professor because why the hell not?

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://nypost.com/2017/05/10/mma-fighting-made-me-a-better-historian/

Three years into his PHD studies in Medieval History at the University of Southern California, Patrick Wyman realized that his childhood dream of becoming a history professor might not come true.

In 2013 he did the math: his chance of getting a tenure track job in academia was one in 15 million. It was time to explore other options. So, naturally, he turned to Mixed Martial Arts.

Now, four years later, the 32-year-old Los Angeles resident has three successful podcasts. Two of them, “The Fall of Rome” and “History Matters,” are in-depth analyses of historic events, told in a way that appeals to the average listener.

The third, podcast, “Heavy Hands,” co-hosted with friend Connor Ruebusch, is a deep dive into the world of Mixed Martial Arts fighting. Wyman credits his passion for MMA with helping him to become the heavy-hitting historian he is today.

. . . .

Wyman credited his shows with giving him the tools to pursue any topic he’s interested in.

“I owe MMA all of that, for figuring out how mass media works, how podcasting works, how to reach audiences, and how to talk to people. It’s the root of everything I’ve done since then.”

18. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017

Reality humor.

19. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    This evening I did change my musics from august 2006 to this month 2017 no longer Metal supporter for my conflict well.

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I've refrained from throwing this one out there, but ******** it: The Scott Horton Show.

In excess of 4000 interviews, almost all on the subjects of war and peace and foreign policy. Some of the best (and hardest to endure) interviews are coming from people on the ground now in Yemen.

Dr. Wankler and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I would be remiss if I neglected to mention his recently-published book called Fool's Errand: Time to End the War in Afghanistan.

I need to pick it up and embrace the suck.

22. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Church of What's Happening Now
    Joey Diaz

Anything history. Carlin especially. History of Fire.

And as mentioned Rogan all night, all day.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Dan Carlin is live on Joe Rogan right now.

dredgfan repped this.
  24. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #25 Q*bert Jones III, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    I just binge-listened to this and I really enjoyed it. Virtually all the characters, including the producers, are unreliable narrators so the line between fact (?) and wackadoodle conspiracy theory becomes extraordinarily shaded.

[​IMG]
    The Polybius Conspiracy
    https://www.radiotopia.fm/showcase/the-polybius-conspiracy/

The Polybius Conspiracy is a seven-part series, originally heard on Showcase, which tells the complex story of two men united by a decades-old urban legend. Polybius, a mysterious arcade game from the '80s whose alleged existence in the Pacific Northwest is fueled by myth and an obsessive online fan base, and which may have factored in the abduction of two teenage boys. Told as a hybrid documentary/fictional story, the series is an artful meditation on how urban legends take hold and spread, and an exploration into how we consume and perpetuate information in the internet age.