What Players From the 2018 Cycle Catastrophe Should Return?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Suyuntuy, Feb 13, 2018.

?

What Players From the 2018 Cycle Catastrophe Should Return?

Poll closed Apr 13, 2018.
  1. Kellyn Acosta

48 vote(s)
    65.8%
  2. Jozy Altidore

34 vote(s)
    46.6%
  3. Paul Arriola

47 vote(s)
    64.4%
  4. Alejandro Bedoya

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Matt Besler

17 vote(s)
    23.3%
  6. Michael Bradley

18 vote(s)
    24.7%
  7. John Anthony Brooks

66 vote(s)
    90.4%
  8. Geoff Cameron

20 vote(s)
    27.4%
  9. Timothy Chandler

34 vote(s)
    46.6%
  10. Benny Feilhaber

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  11. Omar Gonzalez

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  12. Brad Guzan

16 vote(s)
    21.9%
  13. Sacha Kljestan

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  14. Fabian Johnson

35 vote(s)
    47.9%
  15. Jordan Morris

39 vote(s)
    53.4%
  16. Darlington Nagbe

34 vote(s)
    46.6%
  17. Tim Ream

7 vote(s)
    9.6%
  18. Jorge Villafaña

23 vote(s)
    31.5%
  19. Bobby Wood

57 vote(s)
    78.1%
  20. Graham Zusi

4 vote(s)
    5.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JackBlack21

JackBlack21 Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I will never forget Jozy walking back after losing the ball against Panama. Altidore's main game is hold-up play and he isn't that good at it. He has his moments, but he's invisible against quality defenders. Being "good enough" for CONCACAF is the only reason he deserves a call-up, as much as I would like for him and Bradley to never play for the USMNT again. Jozy is mediocre at best.

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Name for me a quality American forward.

3. JackBlack21

JackBlack21 Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's a trick question, we don't have any quality forwards. At this point, I'd rather give Terrence Boyd a run of games.

4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Just talking central forwards...

I think Altidore cracked under the pressure in T&T, along with several other players. But he is a quality forward.

Bobby Wood is a quality forward. He is in a crap situation but he makes very intelligent and correct runs. Altidore and Wood are different kinds of #9s. Jozy is more of a give and go guy and he has worked that with Pulisic well in the home Panama game. Wood is good at drawing defenders and making room for others, like Jozy and CP in that same game.

Johannsen is a quality forward who is always hurt.

Dempsey is a quality forward but aging/aged out.

Nobody else has really proved themselves at even the modest level the three above have attained. Nobody has peaked as high as Dempsey yet.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We really should be pestering Siebatcheu at his point.

russ, ChuckMe92 and Patrick167 repped this.
  6. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    #56 moleman, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    For attitude reasons alone I don’t want to ever see Bradley or Altidore suit up again. I don’t want their lackadaisical approach to be imparted on any of our young players. They had their chances to do something at the international level and based on how they responded to the most crucial moment of their international careers it’s time to go in a new direction.

SteelyTom and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Why the hate on Bobby Wood?

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say it should be only U23's aside from Williams, Wood, Johannsson, Chandler and Yedlin.

Everyone else can go find something else to do during international windows.

Luckily for them, MLS often plays right thru them so it shouldn't be that hard.

But if they're bored during one of the few MLS doesn't play thru, I suggest taking up pottery or knitting. Knitting by the fireplace wrapped in a cozy blanket with tea in the kettle would fit the mentality we saw from so many of them at T&T.

Patrick167 repped this.
  9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Bobby had the audacity to come off the bench, score, and get us a smash and grab point at Honduras.

10. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    but why an arbitrary number like 23...why not 24 or 22 the point is you just picked that because that is the oldest recognized 'age group'.

also in ur world would it be u23 this camp and in june would older be ok or is it 23 from now until qualifying or what?

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Wood had a chance to prove himself in one of the best leagues in the world, and he did no better than Altidore did at Sunderland.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the book hasn't ended yet.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What it is is a general premise.

The wide ranging focus should be grooming current players 23 and under who will then be 22-27 when Qatar arrives.

14. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    It really should be about the best players. The WC will be in nov/dec that year so its still 4.5 years away. they need to find the best players if a guy is going to turn 28/29/30 before the wc but can contribute...thats ok.

keep picking the best players the cream will rise to the top they shouldn't have to put in some age limit to make it happen.