What Players From the 2018 Cycle Catastrophe Should Return?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Suyuntuy, Feb 13, 2018.

?

What Players From the 2018 Cycle Catastrophe Should Return?

Poll closed Apr 13, 2018.
  1. Kellyn Acosta

48 vote(s)
    65.8%
  2. Jozy Altidore

34 vote(s)
    46.6%
  3. Paul Arriola

47 vote(s)
    64.4%
  4. Alejandro Bedoya

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Matt Besler

17 vote(s)
    23.3%
  6. Michael Bradley

18 vote(s)
    24.7%
  7. John Anthony Brooks

66 vote(s)
    90.4%
  8. Geoff Cameron

20 vote(s)
    27.4%
  9. Timothy Chandler

34 vote(s)
    46.6%
  10. Benny Feilhaber

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  11. Omar Gonzalez

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  12. Brad Guzan

16 vote(s)
    21.9%
  13. Sacha Kljestan

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  14. Fabian Johnson

35 vote(s)
    47.9%
  15. Jordan Morris

39 vote(s)
    53.4%
  16. Darlington Nagbe

34 vote(s)
    46.6%
  17. Tim Ream

7 vote(s)
    9.6%
  18. Jorge Villafaña

23 vote(s)
    31.5%
  19. Bobby Wood

57 vote(s)
    78.1%
  20. Graham Zusi

4 vote(s)
    5.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Arriola, Kellyn Acosta and Jordan Morris are promising players.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He played in three qualifiers, two in the semi-final stage (6-0 destruction of St. Vincent away, 4-0 destruction of Trinidad at home) and one in the Hex (the 4-0 loss to the Ticos).

Sacha played for a total 115 minutes (> 90), so he got included.

Of course if you mean "he did not play" in the figurative sense, then it's subjective.

Pedro Rondon H de Sá repped this.
  3. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    With both MB and JA, I think the key is to determine what situations they don't play well in and avoid those like the plague. They are likely top 10 players but with real limitations and our competitors are good enough to understand what they are and use them to our disadvantage.

It wasn't JK's management style to manage to people's strengths/weaknesses but I am still shocked that BA just ignored this.

4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Jozy had good games and bad games. He cannot play as a lone forward. His inclusion would be dependent on how the new coach wants to play. We just spent an entire cycle forcing two forward sets to accomodate Jozy. Plus, 1 DM set ups to accomodate Bradley. That is how we ended up 4-1-3-2 on the road on a bad pitch against T&T. Jozy could maybe move back in the formation as a 10 or withdrawn striker, but nobody has really ever tried that. But if the new coach wants to play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, then he will have to sit.

As for the pool, Sapong is not that much older and seems to be able to be a lone forward. We need to go to Siebetchu and show him France's depth chart and our depth chart and get him to switch.

jjmack repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The good is that Pulisic and Saief on the wings are not as much crossing types but like keeping it on the ground. That fits Altidore, who's subpar in the air.

Of course it depends on whether Pulisic remains a winger for the NT (he may become the CAM) and whether Saief is included (still iffy).

6. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As horrible as it is to agree with that above statement, you're right. But my heart tells me to write in none of the above. Pulisic and McKennie plus 9. I truly don't give a rat's a$$ about the other 9.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'd add Yedlin. Pulisic, McKennie, Yedlin + 8. Brooks could have been there too, but I have to see how he returns to play.

The big problem is the lack of a top class keeper. We've _always_ depended on awesome goalkeeping to punch above our weight. The USMNT with an average keeper is like Aquaman on land.

DHC1 repped this.
  8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having watched his last few Newcastle games I will agree with you. Pulisic, McKennie and Yedlin plus 8. Of course with our luck it will be injured, injured and injured, plus 11.

Marko72 repped this.
  9. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I completely agree with you on the first two, and since turning down Germany to stay with Sounders, I certainly don't agree with you on the last. Morris is about as average an MLS forward as there is. Promise is for 18 year olds. Not 22-23 year olds who have been playing professionally for a couple years already.

jjmack, CU soccer and Patrick167 repped this.
  10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Basically, the majority of the "yes" votes are the younger players, and the "no" votes are the ones that are aging out, which makes sense. It doesn't make any sense to exclude the older ones who are still relevant at their position as long as they can fit in with the team as a whole, however.

11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I agree, but I'll interject that our future manager is most likely going to determine the core of his team, as well, and fit his parts around them. Who are our future core? Pulisic, Yedlin, and McKennie, of course, and quite likely one or more of the CBs out of Brooks, Miazga, Palmer-Brown and Carter-Vickers group. With everyone else it's a wide net and a test to see how well they can gel with everybody else as well as how well they can perform themselves. Health-permitting, these guys are the likely anchors.

12. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The new coach will have to repair the locker room. Probably the easiest way to do that is to get rid of almost everyone and start fresh. Bradley in particular was captain when the locker room fractured; how could you bring him back as captain? Would he come back and not wear the arm band? Probably best for all if he retires.

jjmack and chad repped this.
  13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    You don't bring him back with the armband, and he's no longer the core player that you shuffle your team around for. (As I noted in my previous post, those guys are now Pulisic, Yedlin and McKennie... and probably a couple of the younger CBs soon enough). But with our pool it's silly and totally cavelier to simply cut ties.

Mind you, Bradley is one thing and Jozy is quite another, given the difference between our pool of center mids and our pool of forwards.

Patrick167 repped this.
  14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I voted for

Guzan - lots of experience/training at a high level and GK has a different age profile.

Brooks - pretty obvious - best passer in the pool in any case.

Besler - he's a good guy to have around while phasing in newbies.

Bradley - ditto

Jozy - goal scorers get preferential treatment and he has developed an all-around game that is attractive. He was never going to perform well with Wood as a partner and Nagbe and Acosta in midfield.

Morris - gets behind the defense.

15. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Lol people are voting for Benny. I feel this poll will be trolled quite easily.

16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I didn't vote for Benny as he will be 37 in 4 years. But as of today he is the best American player in MLS.

CU soccer repped this.
  17. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, dude just has a goal and 2 assists in the opening week of the MLS season.

Will he be in Qatar? Highly doubt it. But I damn sure want him on the team until he no longer can contribute to developing the youngsters.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have had many months to reflect and cool off and I am still leaning towards blowing it all up and starting with all new faces.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #44 ceezmad, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    I do hear Johannsson has been playing well recently.

The Mexican National team?

Do you give it to Pulisic?

jjmack repped this.
  20. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    My anger has subsided enough to be objective about Altidore given his form against CONCACAF opposition, but there is still no universe that should exist where a captain that walked around the field in the final 15 of a must-not-lose game when chasing a goal should ever be called up again.

21. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    its a really good question though. I mean there should always be a few spots for guys who are playing well like AJ is at the moment...the issue is will he be in a year in a half when they need it. thats the other thing with bradley I mean the rest of this year I don't think him playing is a big deal because its still about finding a replacement for him.

as far as the capt it has to be someone that plays a lot and at this point even though he isn't a capt type personality its pulisic.

22. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    I kind of wish we could get Dempsey back again. Of all the members of the old guard, I feel he was the most professional of the lot and the best model for our younger guys to follow. Despite being clearly unhappy with his reduced role, he never went to the media about it. Never tweeted out his true feelings. The most we saw was that one tense face-to-face with Bruce in the Trinidad home game - and even that, I feel, was overblown - it lasted barely a second, and mostly consisted of a grimace. He kept quiet - never publicly gave his two cents on how he thought the team should be managed, and never commented directly or indirectly on the MLS vs Europe debate - that last part alone demonstrated a capacity for leading and uniting a team that the other veterans couldn't seem to do. And when he did get to play, he played hard. No one can accuse Clint of not trying in the T&T game.

Furthermore, I think Clint's a guy who could help stabilize the team. He's got some say among the veterans, but he's also enough of an icon to score respect from the young 'uns. And he could provide some continuity as the new coach takes over.

Except... of course .... he's just way too old. He's got maybe a year left in him, if that - he definitely won't be around for Qatar. A shame, in my opinion. Because I'd rather he be wearing the armband than any of the other veterans right now.

Maybe keep Dempsey around as a sort of talisman just for a season? I dunno.

23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Clint's a red card machine at this point.

24. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    yeah I mean I can see why clint would seem like a good pic, the problem is he was the capt before bradley people forget that.

then he ripped up the ref's little notebook during an us open cup match..was suspended and no longer capt.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Clint's the personification of the comic book meme: "you either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become a villain.”