What Percent Of Colleges Classify Economics As A Business Subject?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by EvanJ, Oct 5, 2010.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a Bachelor of Arts in Economics at Hofstra University, which does not count Economics as a Business subject. If Hofstra required Economics majors to take the Business Core Requirements and other requirements for all Business majors, this would have totaled 40 credits of courses I didn't take, 4 more total credits to graduate, and I would have majored in Political Science instead. Does anybody have an estimate as to what percent of colleges and universities in the United States give a Bachelor of Business Administration in Economics as opposed to a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Economics?

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, no solid answer. University of Michigan definitely does not, as the Econ Department is housed in the Liberal Arts College (UM College of Literature, Science, and the Arts). Undergrads can get either a BA or a BS in Econ. The BBA only comes from the Ross School of Business.

I've never heard of any school that treats Econ as a subset of Business. Because Economics is an established, free-standing discipline I'd be surprised if there were many that did that.

3. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    At my school Economics stands alone as a major and a minor (IIRC), but many business majors and minors are required to take a few Economics courses (namely Macro and Micro). I'm sure you could major in Business and minor in Economics, but come to think I've never heard it the other way around either.

Good question!

4. FitzCoffee

FitzCoffee New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although Economics classes are required for most Business majors, I can't see the Economics major being placed exclusively within a university's School of Business. The only reason I say this is because at base, Economics is the study of human behavior, which makes the subject a social science. This is why Economics is placed in the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Many Business majors choose to make Economics a primary concentration within their specific area of study. There is no doubt that Economics and business go hand in hand. However, business is only one facet of Economics, as Economics can be applied to any and every subject - and that is why at most (and I would think all) colleges the Economics major does not fall under the School of Business umbrella, and instead within the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Just my two cents though.

1 person likes this.
  5. FabFiveFigo

FabFiveFigo Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Northern SC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I went through Clemson, the economics department was a part of the college of business. However, there were economics courses taught as a part of several other ciricula (engineering economics, agricultural economics, etc.) that were not a part of the econ dept.