What Nationwide Club Should I Support?

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by house18, Aug 26, 2003.

1. btmountainmail

Aug 13, 2004
    Colorado
    QPR Kevin H - Thank you - that helps a lot.

OK, more dumb questions - With promotion and relegation, could a team conceivably go from the Hudersfield Works League into the upper divisions?

And do teams ever move between locations there? One of the biggest pains in America is that an owner can take a team and move it to a new city. It seems that over there, that must not happen, at least on the same level. From what I'm gathering, teams are tied to their fields, no matter the league or affiliation.

Thanks again for the help - I'm very interested in this, but know next to nothing.

2. pompeyrob

pompeyrob New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    isle of wight
    Yes, a team could conceevabubbly go from the Hudds. Works League to the upper divisions but when they get promoted from the semi-pro conference to the football league proper they have to meet certain stadium criteria eg the stadium needs to hold a minimum amount of people (about 5,000 I think) and obviously needs to be safe.

As for clubs moving locations, this was unheard of until Wimbledon FC, a poorly supported South London club, moved to Milton Keynes 2 years ago.
    Arsenal moved from South London to North London early last century but I can`t think of any other examples. The fans just wouldn`t allow it!

QPR Kev, I thought Steve Claridge was manager at Weymouth , has he moved?

3. James2476

James2476 New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Grantham, Lincs
    I would suggest Leicester, but we aren;t going to be outside of the Premiership for long so I suggest Sheffield Wednesday, because they have a great fan base and if you have that many fans from a team that have been relegated 2 in the last 4 years, I think, with no promotion thats some achievement =)

4. tanekaberi

tanekaberi New Member

May 29, 2004
    Takoma Park MD
    A Few Suggestions:
    Accrington Stanley - Cool name, www.accringtonstanley.co.uk
    Sheffield FC - Oldest FC in the world, est. 1856, www.sheffieldfc.com
    Rushden & Diamonds - Young Club, 1991 - Considered a well run club. Be "the first on your block." :)

Anyway whomever you chose enjoy the ride. It can get a little hairy in lower regions. :)

5. pompeyrob

pompeyrob New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    isle of wight
    Sheffield fc? If they existed at all then they certainly don`t exist now!

You`ve got Sheffield United or Sheffield Wednesday.

Notts County are the oldest team in the league although when they first started I`m not sure who they played against? Maybe it was Sheffield fc.

Accrington Stanley is not a cool name and you want to give Rushden & Diamonds a miss aswell.

6. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sheffield FC still exist, but are a small part-time club. They were never a big club, just the first club. Back in the early years football clubs were just that - clubs where people would meet up to play football. Competitve matches came later. The FA Cup didn't start until 1871 and it was a further 17 years until the football league started.

7. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Sheffield would have first played games internally within the club, although not for too long, the second oldest club as far as I'm aware would be Hallam (also in Sheffield). I suspect many of Notts County's first 'games' would have been within the club itself too, but being relatively close to Sheffield are likely to have played them.

And as Richard already mentioned Sheffield FC do still exist, FIFA recently having some sort of award ceremony which invited two clubs along for awards due to their contibutions within the game. Sheffield FC being one of them (the other Real Madrid).

8. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Support Col Utd!

9. Leedsutd12

Leedsutd12 New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    Newton
    leeds united

10. ValeTone

ValeTone New Member

May 17, 2004
    Dallas TX
    Don't agree.... teams like Accrington Stanley are cool, because they don't sound cool. And anyway, all credit to them for coming back from obscurity!

And the coolest name of all is PORT VALE..... ;)

11. ENGLAND_RULE

ENGLAND_RULE New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    scunthorpe united

12. Arsenal_fanUK

Arsenal_fanUK New Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Russia
    LEEDS UTD choose LEEDS UTD.

13. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Thanks for the pyramid website, whoever posted that. Personally as an American with no english geographical determinism at work, this is what I do -- I've picked one team in the Prem. that is my overall team -- Spurs of course -- than a semi-rotating list of 5-6 clubs in the Prem. that I support as well so long as they aren't playing Spurs -- Pompey, Blackburn, Liverpool, Bolton, Villa so I almost always have a team to cheer on if I'm watching 3-4 matches at a pub on Saturdays. Then I pick one team per lower division to follow each season and take the time to learn about the history of the club/stadium and the town/city/county/village/hamlet it is located in. So this year its: York City in the 4th division -- Yeovil in the 3rd, S. Wednesday in the 2nd, and BlueBirds and Reading (big Convey fan) in the 1st.

After two seasons of doing this I know a lot about english football and english history/geography. If I actually ever make it to the UK hopefully I'll be able to use such knowledge to my advantage...

Malk

14. KevGillsFC

KevGillsFC New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Osaka,JAPAN
    Gillingham
    Every one hates us, very much the under dogs!

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sadly, I'm afraid that would be the fate of the real epl were Reading to ever ascend. But all the more reason to back them, I'd say.

16. Louise_Foxes

Louise_Foxes New Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Leicestershire
    If there is the slimmest chance that you've not picked a side yet, I'd like to try and sell Leicester City to you.

Now, I bet you're thinking 'Leicester were in the Prem next year, if they go up I don't want to be supporting two Premiership teams' but don't worry! The way we're playing we're likely to be playing league football for a very long time now. We've been in the Premiership for ... out of the .. years it's been running, our most successful period under Martin O'Neill when we won two League Cups and finished 7th. Under O'Neill we were a spirited, battling side. With the way football is going, the big wages left with us from the Peter Taylor era, and the general lack of confidence from two relegations in three seasons and administration has left us back where we were before, a midtable Division 2 (Division 1/Championship) side.

If it's excitement you're wanting there is no better team than us. Despite getting relegated last year if we'd held on to all of our leads we'd be in the Champions League this year. Our 4-4 draw at White Heart Lane was voted 'Match of the Season', a game where we came back from 3-1 down to lead 4-3 before losing two points to a last minute goal from Jermaine Defoe. You may have also heard of the our infamous capitulation again Wolverhampton Wanderers, when at half time we were leading 3-0 and the match ended 4-3 to Wolves. Leading 3-1 against Middlesbrough before two goals in injury time made it 3-3, one an own goal. Don't worry, this was not simply a Premiership-based phenomenon, only last week we were leading 2-0 against QPR and lost 3-2.

As for being the underdog, we should probably start using Millwall's 'no-one likes us and we don't care' chant after coming through Administration and continually having a lot of misinformed fans telling us we cheated our way into the Premiership/Heaven/Existance etc.

Our USA connections are mostly sparse but Kasey Keller made 125 appearances for us before moving to Spurs. Our MC Alan Birchenall MBE played in the US at San Jose...

http://www.lcfc.com

Alternatively try Luton or Notts County.

17. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's true, i very much dislike Gillingham.

18. bury f.c.

bury f.c. New Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Looking no further than my club Bury F.C. the shakers a good little Nationwide club,come and join us.

19. Rockhillman

Rockhillman New Member

May 9, 2004
    South Carolina
    You need to support Millwall! if you don't then don't go to any of the clubs matches you do support when they play millwall! promotion is comming soon! FA cup again????? UEFA again hopefully those hungarians will get theres! wise is very 'wise' so watch him take them to the winning ways! if you want to support a team with a quality side, quality pitch, and quality fans come to the real boys in blue millwall!

20. shanghaileeder

shanghaileeder New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Shanghai
    Leeds United,m8 :D

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, you gotta love any club that has as many police outside the ground as fans inside, and there are a lot of fans inside. Trouble with supporting milwall from afar is if, on a whim, you find yourself in london and want to go watch the team you support, you'll be banned from buying a ticket (unless you join the club and all that crap, which really is a pain from across an ocean, when you may show up once every couple years).

22. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Bristol City...enough said...

23. PokerNSoccer

PokerNSoccer New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Area 51 Chicago
    the one ur entire family supports

24. Mailrenegade

Mailrenegade Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Reading,PA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochdale AFC or Preston NE..........Visited both grounds this past winter and was very impressed by the stadiums and the staff at both clubs.

25. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, who did you chose? :confused: