What Nationwide Club Should I Support?

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by house18, Aug 26, 2003.

1. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I have seen threads like this, so I thought I'd take a chance. I am a huge English soccer fan, even have my England jersey and support Manchester United, but reading my magazines, watching Sky Sports News and playing Championship Manager has left me looking for a Nationwide team to support. Any suggestions? Cool kit? Great playing style? Hated by everyone? Major underdog? Let me know what you think!

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    get a map of England. pin it up against a dartboard and throw a dart. Nearest team to your dart is your team.

3. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Funny! Actually it is also funny that you responded because in CM I took Reading to the EPL (then the damn game froze up!) and they are one team I had been considering, since I have been paying attention (casually) to thier results.

4. MightyBees

MightyBees New Member

Aug 16, 2003
    London, England
  5. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Ok, so your a Man U fan (Hmmm to that, but as you seen genuinly interested in English FOOTBALL I'll let you off ;-) ) So keep in the same area. There's a nice supported team in South Manchester called Stockport County, managed by ex England Player Carlton Palmer, they have a good chance of getting promoted this season from the Second division where they are now. They have a couple of good young players, who will move to Premiership clubs in a couple of years. Take a look at them.

www.stockportcounty.com

6. mnthunder

mnthunder Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Guatemala
  7. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Stockport isn't in south Manachster, it is just to the south of it. It is where I'm originally from, and naturally enough cannot stand the team. The one time I went along to Edgley Park they went and won 5-1 :(. Can't imagine many of the players going on the the Premeriship, most of them look like they'll get third division football next season.

8. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    ok, so be pedantic why don't you, as this message board is based in the U.S. I kinda figured most readers would not really know English Geography that well (Apologies to those who picked their teams using map and dartboard method) You'll actually find they have 6 under 21 internationals and their 'keeper played in the most recent Irish international, considering a lot of Americans are of Irish descent and support Ireland as thier second team, thought that might be a good reason to support such a small team, my family is origionally from Cheadle Heath, now mostly based in Bakewell, your not my stalker are you???!

9. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Sheffield Wednesday. 24,000 fans supporting a Nationwide Division 2 club. I fell in love with them back in '95-'96 after seeing Premier League highlights on SportsChannel. Saw my first ever EPL match, Chelsea v Sheffield Wednesday on 28 Dec 96. Their band played the entire second half (45 minutes straight), helping them come back from a 2-0 deficit on the road to draw 2-2. Best game I've ever been to (slightly better than US-Mexico in Columbus in 2001).

www.swfc.co.uk

10. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    Maybe Oldham or Rochdale if you want your nationwide team to be manchester based, or wait a year and you can support City. :D

11. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Well I'm about fifty meters outside the Peak District.

12. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    helpful, I take it you support Chesterfield/Derby one of the Sheffield Teams?

13. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
  14. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hartlepool United

15. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Some good ideas, I am going to do some research on these teams. There were a couple of interesting coincidences. I have been looking on e-bay for some jerseys that are not common here in the USA and one that I looked for after seeing it on www.colors-of-football.com was Crystal Palace. The other one is that when I was in college I was friends with a girl from Sheffield who was a wednesday fan. Her father actually played for the Owls and Newcastle and now own a sports bar in Sheffield. Thanks everyone and keep 'em coming while I am doing my research!

16. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Queens Park Rangers and the Blue and White Hoops, a look you can fall in love with.

A former Premier League team fallen on hard times. However, teh worm seems to be turning and QPR is a good bet to gain promotion to Division 1 after losing in the D2 playoffs last year.

Catch them on the rise, a team wth as colorful a history as any in the land.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home/0,,10373,00.html

17. basso001

basso001 Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Good call! :D

b.

18. Claret

Claret New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Manchester, England
    Why not try The Clarets.

Burnley FC

A great tradition and one of the original 12 members of the football league.

Currently in the 1st Division after a bit of a renaissance over the last 10 years or so.

try www.burnleyfootballclub.com

19. Larkin

Larkin New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    well house
    follow my team Brentford fc!

the club always gives away free tickets to under 18's and is the ONLY league club to have let everyone in for NOTHING!

We are the unfashionable London side, our fans could choose from Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Q.P.R or Fulham but we have real football fans, who make a lot of noise throughout the whole game.

Also Cameron Diaz and Jim Carey are 2 fans via our ex chairman who have adopted our team and play to come to a game. Also we have ups and downs, having been promoted several times and relegated several too, and always have a good go in the fa cup.

Plus we are the underdogs, with our chairman having released great players, now we have players who are almost all under 21!

www.griffinpark.org/forums meet the real fans!

bees tune- Hey jude, dont make it bad, take a bad song, and make it better, remember to let her into your heart and you can start to make it better, better, better, better, better

la la la, LA LA LA LAAAAA, LA LA LA LAAAAA Brentford

20. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A great tradition of losing. Burnley is great......at allowing goals.

21. Claret

Claret New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Manchester, England
    Such a comedian USA max - sorry max34 that is !!

A great retort from a bastard - and not even a proper one !

You could be a muppet and support ~(all be it very recently - ie. after some rich ner-do-well who completley lost his mind and invested in a bunch of part-timer no-hopers) Bastard Rovers.

Or you could invest your support in a great team with proper fans (ie not part-timers !) who will eventually regain their rightful place amongst the games elite, by a more legitimate method (ie. - by the fans cash and a quality manager).

Yours marginally amused,
    Claret.

22. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    you puppet, you should be red carded.

23. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regain their place amongst the games elite? Are you kidding me. Burnley are going down to division 2 this season, not up. It will be a very long time until Burnley and Blackburn play a league match again.

There is a reason why Blackburn is in the EPL. We have a good youth academy and a good manager who makes good deals (i.e. getting Brad Friedel for free and Brett Emerton cheap) Burnley and their fans are just jealous of the success of Blackburn Rovers.

24. Claret

Claret New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Manchester, England
    EPL !!

A nice touch !!

You are obviously delusional my friend. Academy/Good deals ?

Listen - you were/are the toy of some over inflated steel baron. Jealousy does not come into it.

When the day comes and we beat you in the PREMIERSHIP (a la Birmingham V. Villa last year) justice will prevail !!!

25. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys will never be in the Premiership so that isn't possible.