What MLS looks like at 22, 24, 26, etc teams

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by whiteonrice04, Oct 17, 2016.

1. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I know this topic has been discussed before but not sure it has in just one thread. I have seen it brought up in many different threads. I am trying to predict what an MLS season could look like with different number of teams. I think the current set up of playing some teams only once and some teams 3 times sucks, but it will likely continue in 2017 with 22 teams. I know it doesn't have to stay at 34 games per season but I am pretty sure that the number they would like to stay close to. At 26 teams they are going to have to decide what is more important...number of games or playing every other team at least once. At 28 teams I believe they will have to move to 4 conferences/division to play every team.

Currently with 20 teams:
    2 Conferences - 10 teams each
    All conference foes at least twice = 18 games
    All non-conference foes once = 10 games
    6 conference foes a third time = 6 games
    34 games total

Speculation starts...

22 teams confirmed for 2017
    2 Conferences - 11 teams each
    All conference foes at least twice = 20 games
    All non-conference foes once = 11 games
    3 conference foes a third time = 3 games
    34 games total

24 teams planned for 2018 - I think this is the sweet spot for 2 conference set up
    2 Conferences - 12 teams each
    All conference foes at least twice = 22 games
    All non-conference foes once = 12 games
    34 games total

26 teams...Probably some day. This is the most difficult in my opinion. You can't divide 26 teams up equally any other way than 2 conferences.
    2 Conferences - 13 teams each
    All conference foes twice = 24 games
    All non-conference foes once = 13 games
    37 games total
    The only option I see for less games is either not playing everyone from the other conference or not playing all conference foes twice.

28 teams...Probably some day. This is where they may abandon the current 2 conference set up.
    2 Conferences - 14 teams each
    All conference foes twice = 26 games
    8 non-conference foes once = 8 games
    34 games total

OR

4 Conferences/Divisions - 7 teams each
    All conference/division foes twice = 12 games
    All non-conference/division foes once = 21 games
    33 games total

2. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    MAYBE...
    - 1 Conference Derby, meaning two clubs playing 4 times (BLACK CIRCLES)
    - 1 Interconference Rivalry, meaning two clubs playing 2 times (BLUE LINKS)
    - and 1 exception - one club from each conference will playing each other 4 times. (GREEN LINK)

Total: 34 games

Example 1:
    LA GALAXY
    20 same conference games
    + 2 extra same conference games with San Jose Earthquakes (Conference Derby)
    11 Interconference games (one leg)
    + 1 Interconference game with DC United OR Philadelphia Union (second leg)

The Exception:
    - Portland Timbers and New England Revolution
    - 20 conference games (home and away)
    - 11 interconference games (one leg)
    + 3 interconference games between the 2 clubs (second leg and another set of home and away games)

[​IMG]

3. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Not sure what since it makes to play 1 team 4 times and others only 2. I guess it isn't a lot different than what they are doing right now, but I don't like it. Not that it matters what I think.

4. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're system treats the plane ride from Boston to Oregon the same way you treat a cab ride from the Bronx to New Jersey, you have a bad system.

You know that it's not Portland, ME right?

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 EvanJ, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    1. There could be divisions with unequal numbers of teams. The NHL has 16 teams in 2 divisions of 8 in the Eastern Conference and 14 teams in 2 divisions of 7 in the Western Conference. With 26 MLS clubs there could be 2 divisions of 6 and 2 divisions of 7. Here is a possible schedule:

If you are in a division of 6:
    2 games vs. each division opponent = 10
    1 game vs. each opponent in both divisions of 7 = 14
    2 games vs. 4 opponents in the other division of 6 = 8
    1 game vs. 2 opponents in the other division of 6 = 2
    34 games

If you are in a division of 7:
    2 games vs. each division opponent = 12
    1 game vs. each opponent in both divisions of 6 = 12
    2 games vs. 3 opponents in the other division of 7 = 6
    1 game vs. 4 opponents in the other division of 7 = 4
    34 games

2. With 28 teams I would rather play every opponent at least once and have fewer opponents you play twice. I would go along with your second idea plus having a rival club you play 1 more game against to make an even numbre of games.

Just like with interleague play in MLB, some teams have nearby rivals like and others don't. Yankees vs. Mets, Nationals vs. Orioles, and Cardinals vs. Royals fit geographically. The Mariners, Braves, Rockies, and Diamondbacks aren't near a team in the other league.

The Franchise repped this.
  6. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Good thoughts but this is a little too complicated for my tastes. I hope they don't go to something like this.

Definitely agree with this. I would much rather see the second schedule where you play every team at least once. I either want them to go to a completely segmented East/West where you don't play other conference until championship game (how MLB used to be) or make sure you play everyone at least once. I think it would be a mistake to have a set up where you only play some of the teams from the other conference.

Unak78 repped this.
  7. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    This is what I see, but they'll do like the NFL and play their 34th game against the team in your conference sister-division that finished opposite you in the standings the previous year.

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    PLEASE.JUST.STOP.
    In the name of whateverthehell you hold dear, just stop the insanity and/or inanity.

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  9. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    WTF?!! Are you joking with me?

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MY IDEA AND THE CURRENT MLS FORMAT?

NOW: Teams play 34 games in an unbalanced Schedule, 24 matches against teams within their conference, plus 10 matches against teams from the other conference

MY SUGGESTION: Teams play 34 games in an unbalanced schedule, 22 matches against teams within their conference, plus 12 matches against teams from the other conferences.

Conference 20 home and away
    Interconference games: 11 one legged games.
    TOTAL: 31 games. Missing 3 games.

I PROPOSED allocating these 3 games as a interconference rivalry and a Conference Derby. VERY SIMPLE.

BECAUSE you have 11 clubs in each conference you need to have 1 exception in each conference.

10. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For 22 teams the schedule will be like that we've had for 19 or 20 teams.

24 is very simple, with two same conference games and one interconference game per team. We all know that one.

26 means divisions or sometimes not playing a team in the other conference. I fully expect divisions. I don't think any team wants to completely give up playing against some of the biggest names in a given year.

11. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I know it has been done before but I don't like divisions at 26 because they can't be equal. They may end up doing it, but my bet is they don't bring in divisions at 26.

24 is definitely the sweet spot and the most balanced schedule you can have without playing everyone twice.

12. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    #12 whiteonrice04, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Here is something we haven't mentioned/discussed...
    Do you think as MLS grows to 26+ teams they would ever consider going single table and just playing each team once (alternating home and away each year)? At 26 it would significantly reduce the number of season games. But at 30-32 teams I think it makes since to just go single table and play 29-31 games. This puts MLS back to a 100% balanced schedule (what is normal in the rest of the soccer world). It cuts down travel costs. This also opens up more time for other competitions.

I see playing each team once as kind of a cool situation and makes each match up more valuable. Similar to college football. NCAA DI football play conference foes once (as far as I know they all do this).

The more I think about next year at 22 teams I think they should just play 31 games to have a more balanced schedule. I also think that playing some teams 3 times is too much. Especially since you may see them again in the playoffs.
    22 teams confirmed for 2017
    2 Conferences - 11 teams each
    All conference foes twice = 20 games
    All non-conference foes once = 11 games
    31 games total

Does anyone know a good source to figure out how many games teams have played every MLS season? Ex: How many did they play in 1996?

13. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't expect an odd number of games in a year. MLS has never had a schedule like that. Other major sports leagues don't have schedules like that. No owner wants to play more on the road than at home. Further, the years with one fewer game at home means less ticket, parking, and concessions revenue, but more travel costs.

Most large college football conferences do not play full round robins each year. Once there are more than ten teams in a conference, it's not really possible, so divisions are created. Some teams in the other division get skipped in 12 team conferences. Most teams in the other conference do in a 14 team conference. Sometimes there will be special provisions for cross-division play; the SEC had a rule in place that always allowed Alabama and Tennessee to play annually. The PAC-12 sees the California teams all play each other. The ACC has rivals separated into different divisions but preserves their annual games. Doing that means skipping other teams in the other division even more often.

Again, expecting the schedule for a 22 team league to be substantially different than the pattern which has been used for 19 or 20 teams doesn't make sense. This is how it has been done since going to 19: extra games will be played against other teams in the same conference, and local rivalry games never rotate out--the Cascadia clubs always play each other an extra time, same with California, Texas, and the Rockies. KC and Minny will play an extra time next year. Any remaining games will be rotated through the other teams in the conference. Given that there will only be a year at 22 teams, there's absolutely no reason to come up with a new pattern, just to go to the straightforward setup that 24 teams allows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Soccer_seasons lists how many games were played each year. There was one year in which any teams played an odd number of regular season games, but that was because the end of the regular season got cancelled in mid-September for some reason...

blacksun repped this.
  14. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Good point about playing odd number of games.
    I understand how NCAA football works. I guess I should have been more specific and said they play each team in their division only once and some teams from another division once. The point being you don't play anyone twice in NCAA football unless you play them in your conference championship game. FYI, Tennessee and Alabama aren't the only non-divisional teams that play each year. Each SEC team has 1 team from the other division they play each year. EX: Florida plays LSU and Georgia plays Auburn each year.

I still think a single table makes sense as MLS grows over 26 teams. Maybe they could play everybody once and then have one additional game against their main rival bringing it to an even number of games.

15. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Why are we arguing about a 22-team league when it's going to be 24 teams a year later? All they're going to do is continue with the current format until they get beyond 24 teams.

It's the 28 team schedule we should be discussing.

The Franchise repped this.
  16. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Because this is a message board and we can discuss whatever we like. You can too. Doesn't mean we can't discuss 22 and 24. Not that it matters but most of the discussion or "arguing" hasn't been about 22 teams.

17. HydraHamster

HydraHamster New Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Sounds complicated. I can see MLS eventually running it's schedule similar to baseball. That's not what I want to see as an American soccer fan, but it's the best option in my opinion given the direction MLS is heading in.

Unak78 repped this.
  18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In baseball you play one division of the other league and one interleague rival regardless of whether that team is in the division you play or not. 22 clubs don't fit equally into divisions in each conference. With 24 clubs, you could play 11 conference opponents twice and 12 clubs from the other conference once, for 34 games, so I don't see an advantage to using divisions. If there were ever 27 clubs, there could be 3 conferences of 9, with 2 games against each conference opponent and 1 game against the clubs in the other two conferences, for 34 games.

KCbus repped this.
  19. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be very surprised if MLS ever returns to three conferences. It was done for only two seasons, which isn't even half the time the league spent at 12 teams.

It is telling that the league did not return to three conferences when it returned to 12 teams, or at 15, or 18. There was no plan for 21. There is a plan for 28, not 27. Three conferences is just a quirky footnote in league history. There's nothing wrong with it, but there's no big advantage over two conferences with divisions, except for scheduling at certain magic numbers, like 27, but those go away if the league expands again.

20. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Does anyone think it could be possible that MLS expands from 24 to 28? There has been enough interest from different cities recently. It is possible that they may make a couple of expansion sides who would be ready to enter at 25 and 26 wait until 27 and 28 are ready to go. The 25th and 26th teams could run their MLS II side in USL and get their Academy up and running before they get their first team off the ground helping them evaluate players stock themselves with homegrowns. That would solve the scheduling issue at 26 with uneven conferences, although there are already solutions out there.

21. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league has been okay with adding single teams before, and has had unbalanced conferences due to an odd number of teams. This suggests going to 26 with unbalanced divisions but balanced conferences won't be an issue. Especially since it looks like the northeast division won't get any of the expansion teams, doing them all in one year is less ideal.

22. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I believe the expansion pattern will be 2 teams in 2018, 4 teams in 2020 and 4 teams in 2024.

23. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    With 32 CLUBS I think an alternative could be:

- 2 Conferences, 16 clubs each conference.
    - Regular Season: 30 games per conference, home and away.
    - MLS Championship Playoffs: 12 clubs. R8-R8-R4-R2. Total: 4 games.
    - MLS League Cup (MLS Cup): Group Stage (8 groups, 4 clubs each)+Knockout tournament (R16-R8-R4-R2). Total: 10 games.

Conference Champion (Supporter's Shield title per Conference) - Regular Season: 1 berth each in CONCACAF Champions League.
    MLS Champion - CONCACAF Champions League or runner-up.
    MLS CUP Champion - CONCACAF Champions League or runner-up.

With 32 clubs I don't see much interess in US Open Cup, MLS CUP (New format) will replace this competition.

24. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would USSF want to end MLS participation in the USOC? Participation is required for sanctioned leagues. It has deeply rooted history, in a sport which often feels young and foreign. It serves as the single best opportunity for MLS teams to give meaningful competitive minutes to fringe players.

And if MLS were to somehow get out of it, why would the league turn around and create its own cup competition? Is it that important to have something for Bruce Arena to ignore? If eliminated, it's more likely the regular season is extended a couple games, or nothing is added at all.

Unak78 and xtomx repped this.
  25. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    With this format MLS regular season will be balanced. Other wise you will have only 4 interconference games to makes a 34 games regular season.

MLS Cup with a Group stage allows interconference games during regular season.

Maybe you don't notice but with a 16 club conferences, interconference games will be impossible during regular season.

So a diferentte competition with this key elemento makes sense.

You have 8 groups, with 4 clubs, 2 from each conference. Then you have R16-R8-R4-R2.