What Major Power will Flop at the World Cup?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Cassano, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Which team that is usually expected to perform well will flop at the World Cup.

2. Francois20

Francois20 New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    I think that germany will be the big flop I don't think they will go very far only thing that might help them is there home advantage. Maybe just maybe :cool:

3. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is a huge only thing to have homefield. Look at the recent world cup and see the success of home team. South Korea/Japan, France, US. Klinssman won't let them flop. Now if he can only teach them to defend better than they have in so of their friendlies. As far as a flop, i will predict Spain(assuming they are in up 5-1) will finally reach their potential and do very well. The flop will be Holland. Any real reason, no. I ove their players and their team but somebody always does and it might as well be them. Portugal will redeem themselves.

4. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Why list Spain as a potential flopper? They're always a disappointment.

5. justboy

justboy Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    For me, France and/or England..............the expectations are too high in their respective countries.

6. ScholesyLFC

ScholesyLFC Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Holladay, Utah
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    erm .. yeah .. that 3-2 win over Argentina showed that England will choke ... oh ... erm ... sorry ... win when needed. Scotland are having a great run this time ....

7. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  8. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia

lol they do not count as they have not made it past a quarter final EVER if my info is correct? Or was it semi finals? i get confused with them and the USSR as BOTH those nations were flops but generate HUGE talent and top club sides.

9. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Ur insane !!! i think that Germany will at least make it to the final 8...i think England wont meet expectations.....

10. Ronaldinho7R1

Ronaldinho7R1 New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Sao Paulo
    I think England will flop, they never win anything but they always build themselves up purely on trash talk from their press and their fans.Brazil is going to the final, I don't know with who but I suspect, Germany. :rolleyes:

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France might as well start to get on their knees now...how else will a Frenchman perform in Deutchland??? ;)

12. eplkewell

eplkewell Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Brazil isn't even a choice? I went with Argentina.

13. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats going on with that?

14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England could very well flop, I voted for France though. One thing with England is what would you consider a flop? If they don't make at least the Semi's is it a flop? Where do you draw the line between successful tourney and a flop? For England is it anything short of winning the Cup?

15. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Personaly i'm not expecting much from my team in the world cup, can't see us doing that well.

16. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    England's my pick to flop as well, largely because there seems like there have been a lot of confidence issues with regard to Sven.

17. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think Sven is to defencive to be honest, some of subs aren't that great, so with Sven and his negative tactics at the very most i say QF

my prediction is first round or round of 16

18. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But they're always expected to do well...

19. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    Win when needed??? In a friendly??? Against a side who were 2-1 up when they took off thier 2 most influential players in Riquleme and Ayala, and Crespo as well!! I think you prove his point of expectations in England being too high. I feel that England could win it, they did play well against Argentina, but still havent got a viable central midfield pertnership, and are average at full back if cole and Neville are out. Maybe after Brazil they have the most talented side in the World but I dont think they will win it. Which would be a disappointment to the English media and hence I voted for them

20. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think it had more to do with Crouch coming on that Argentina's players coming off what made england win that match.

21. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US will be the Major Power to flop in 2006.

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Woo Hoo! We made it to "major power!"

:D

23. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    LOL !!!..congrats on acheiving such a prestigious rank !!! lol

24. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, England comes up big time against teams like Northern Ireland and Denmark... o wait...

That being said the WC is being played on European soil, so England should make the quarterfinals... France won't make it out of the group stage.

25. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    Remarks like this make me want to double check which country I'm living in, because nobody I've ever met has these attitudes you describe. In general the people I know are hopeful but not particularly confident, and certainly not expecting to take home the trophy. The media either worships the team or slaughters them, nothing in between, but even the England players (a group not traditionally known for their intelligence) have figured out not to trust the media by now.

I think you're relying on the English media to accurately portray the mood of the entire country - which is ironically very similar to what you accuse us of doing, building up our expectations because of the media.