What Legacy will the WC leave in Brazil ?

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by celito, Jul 10, 2014.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The WC is basically over. I'd like to know what you guys think will be the legacy (legado) left for this WC in Brazil. Here are some:

- I think most tourists had a great time. Even Argies were saying yesterday they were surprised at how friendly the Brazilians were. There were some cases of petty crime, but nothing major from what I hear. So I think overall, the fan experience was positive which leads to potential increase in tourism for the future.

- The quality of the stadiums, specifically the pitch (if taken care), should help improve the quality of play in the national league. I think this is a very important legacy for our football.

- Our lopsided loss hopefully brings some changes to the player development process in our country. We should return to developing more skillful players instead of physical ones. Today we are known world wide for defenders, FBs and DMs. Not as much for skilled midfielders and forwards.

- The Match ticket scandal was actually a good thing. Who would have known that in a country with so much corruption, they unveiled the ticket scalping scheme which involved some very high ranking officials and was so closely tied to FIFA. Probably somebody didn't get paid off ... but still. Another black eye for FIFA, which is good given their reputation for corruption.

- Unfortunately I don't think much was done in terms of infrastructure. Maybe some of the promised projects will get off the ground.

Redshift repped this.
  2. PMLF

PMLF Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Rio de Janeiro, Bra
    I think the match ticket scandal was pretty much the only thing.

The tourists that came here weren't normal tourists and they don't spend much anyway, the long term impact should be minimum.

Several of the stadiums will become white elephants and who knows what problem the stadiums will have in 5 or so years, I expect some to have issues like happened with the Engenhão.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I beg to differ about the tourism thing. I don't think you can generalize it in such a way. Yes there were the football fanatics that only care about football. But I have at couple of friends that are very much into the game having played in College in the US that had additional interests in the country and would love to go back. Plus, having them tell friends about their good experience with the culture can only help.

As for the stadiums, yes some of them will probably go to waste. But the improvements done in the Maracana, Mineirao, Beira Rio, Atletico's Arena, Fonte Nova is undeniable and should help our football if kept in proper shape. The pitch itself will influence how the game is played IMO.

Renato Goulart and Mengão86 repped this.
  4. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't know how to judge the tourism impact but I tend to agree with PMLF on that one but can see both sides. Rio's tourism statistics were already rising before this due to under performance so it can go both ways but in a tourism class I had to take they more or less agree with PMLF's sentiments due to the types of tourists. I don't really see how brazilians benefit from tourism this isn't a Florida situation where life is easier because of it. Maybe more people will visit places like Natal and Recife. The football was great, best World Cup I've seen in my life even with the crap ending.

5. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Alot of goals. Suarez bite attack. The beginning of the end of CR7 domination. The end of the Spanish golden era. Goaline technology used. The biggest will be what happened two days ago. That 7-1 lost will be remembered in infamy. I certainly will not forget it. And the sad thing is the next four years we will be reminded of this lost unless we win in 2018 or make a good showing deep in the tournament. So the lost could be the thing that leads a revolution in the CBF and Brasilian football in general.

6. Andr3sfc

Andr3sfc Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Manaus
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's inaccurate. Actually, tourists spent more than the expected.

For instance.

7. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the exposure Brazil had was very positive. For a full month the country has been on center stage of the world, and the overall perception is that Brazil did a great job. The welcoming nature of our people have more than made up for the infrastructure shortcomings, and I think Brazil leaves the Cup with a great image.

I'd like to think that the stadiums will be put to good use. The big Rio-SP clubs hopefully will learn to better exploit their fan bases in places like Brasilia, Natal, Fortaleza, Manaus and Cuiaba. I see these stadiums being used at least a few times in the Serie A.

Redshift repped this.
  8. PMLF

PMLF Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Rio de Janeiro, Bra
    Spending more than expected is not the same as spending much though, as the original expectations could have been low, for example.

9. Andr3sfc

Andr3sfc Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Manaus
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hmm, so who decides that they "don't spend much"? For me, R$ 5.000 per tourist seems pretty good.

10. Atomic Fury

Atomic Fury BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Brazil put on a great World Cup. I didn't make it down to South America but I watched every match that I could from here in the States. The legacy, unfortunately, will be twofold.

The first is an important point that will be overshadowed by the next, but the money spent on the tournament was already a contentious affair. I hope it doesn't turn out to be regretted of course, but even in football-mad Brazil, the important things in life aren't ignored.

The second point, obviously, is how the team ended their run. But the best to come of it is a catalyst for change. I was very much surprised at how the squad didn't adjust to Germany and instead fell apart. I would never have expected that of Brazil.

But Brazil isn't the only squad that had the mirror turned on them. Several countries showed flaws which need to be addressed.

Redshift repped this.