what is your optimal MNT lineup and formation?

Discussion in 'China' started by chengb02, Jan 1, 2006.

1. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    There has been a lot of complaints about the lineup, so I think its time for this thread. What does everyone think the best lineup and formation would be? Mine is below (though I'm not sure if I have Zhou in the right position or not). I do include Li Tie, although I don't think there's any real chance for him to stay around, though having him in the middle would be the best for us.

---Liu Yunfei-----
    -----Ji Mingyi------Du Wei-------Li Weifeng---------Sun Jihai------
    -----Yan Song-------Zhao Junzhe----Li Tie--------Zhou Haibin-----
    ---------------------Li Jinyu-----------Chen Tao-----------------

subs/reserves:
    Li Leilei
    Gao Lin
    Feng Xiaoting
    Hao Junmin
    Zhang Yaokun

2. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    ---------------------Li Jinyu-----------Chen Tao-----------------
    -----Shao Jiayi-------Zhao Junzhe----Zheng Zhi------Sun Jihai-------
    ------Sun Xiang-----Du Wei-------Ji Mingyi--------Cao Yang-------
    -------------------------------Liu Yunfei---------------------------------

subs/reserves:
    Li Leilei
    Gao Lin
    Li Tie
    Feng Xiaoting
    Zhang Yaokun
    Zhao Xuri
    Li Weifeng

3. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    ------------------Gao Lin-------------Dong Fangzhuo---------------
    ----------------------------Chen Tao----------------------------
    -----Zheng Zhi------------------------------------Sun Jihai-------
    -----------------------------Li Tie--------------------------------
    ------Sun Xiang-----Du Wei--------Li Weifeng--------Ji Mingyi-----
    ----------------------------Liu Yunfei---------------------------------

I'd take Li Tie over Zhao Junzhe anyday.

subs/reserves:
    Li Leilei
    Shao Jiayi
    Feng Xiaoting
    Lu Lin
    Li Jinyu
    Yan Song
    Zhao Junzhe

4. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I don't think Dong is good enough for China NT, maybe 3 or 4 years later he will have chances to play regular matchs for the NT, but not now

5. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Blah! :mad:

6. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    unless he is in Belgium division 1~ he'll not be No.1 Choice for the NT :D

7. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    If Li Yi is in the NT, Dong should also be. Please don't tell me Li Yi is better than Dong... LOL

8. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    If looking at future potential, I think Dong has a larger upside. If you're looking at right now, I think a legit argument can be made that Li Yi is the better player.

9. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Anyone who didn't put Dong in their lineup as the starting striker, now it's the time for you to come clean and tell us your ulterior motives.

10. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

Dong is the next Hao Haidong, period. Or more accurately, Hao was the previous Dong.

11. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    It's not all his fault that Antwerp is wallowing in Belgium division 2. And, it's definitely not his fault for being at Antwerp. No Chinese player would turn down Manchester United. Not even if he knew he was going to a league like Belgium division 2 and a team like Antwerp.

12. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    He may be, but he isn't there yet and still has a long way to go.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not picking Dong as a starter, I think perhaps thought needs to go into why people WOULD pick him as a starter considering how little we've seen of him.

13. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Is that "we" us BigSoccer posters or CFA and Zhu Guanghu?

14. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    It is us on BS more than anything, but I think its also the CFA and Zhu. They've at least seen him in MNT and the WYC camps, but he's gotten so few minutes in games at both levels to really know what he can do against real competition. He's been impressive at times in Belgium, and while I'm sure Zhu's watching tapes of that, its still hard to judge how he'd do against real competition.

15. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    I admit I derive some of my faith from the fact that Sir Alex Ferguson saw something in Dong. But him getting so few minutes in games at both levels is the real problem. Why haven't coaches used him more often? I know during the WYC Dong flew in later than everyone else. But I don't know why Zhu didn't call him up for the recent Spanish tour. Sometimes it's the coachs' fault and somtimes it's the fact that he plays in Europe.

16. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    well then I guess you must think Li Yi and Xie Hui is good enough then???? ha ha ha

Dong isn't the best striker in the world, I agree on that but in China he's the best option because the others are inferior.

Li Yi sucks, Xie Hui is barely decent and Li Jinyu is a maybe. What other choices are there?

17. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    ignore the haters, go Dong go

18. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I feel like I keep having to make this point...I'm not sure if I can speak for the other "haters", but I have nothing against Dong (not even that he went to the Mancs) and I want to see him do well. However, that doesn't mean this unproven player should be thrown into the MNT as an immediate starter.

Xfactor made a good point about Ferguson seeing something in Dong and purchasing him. I assume this is true, that it wasn't just a marketing ploy. However, I don't think it was because Dong was China's best young player at the time. I'm not privvy to the inner workings of the ManU decision making process on Dong. While I think that Dong wasn't the most promising player around, he was decent and Dalian was more willing than other teams to get rid of young talent up front.

19. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    We shall see him score innumerable goals starting this Saturday as the cavalry have arrived from Manchester. Instead of Dong going to the Manchester United reserves, the reserves have come to him. :)

20. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Goaltenders

Zhu Huiqian

Defenders
    Du Wei
    Feng Xiaoting
    Zheng Zhi

Midfielders
    Sun Xiang
    Sun Jihai
    Shao Jiayi
    Li Tie

Forwards
    Li Jinyu
    Gao Lin
    Dong Fangzhuo

I go with the 3-4-3 formation

21. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Is Zhu Huiqian the Shenhua goalie who stopped AC Milan?

22. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    yes, if he wasn't from Shenhua, I wouldn't pick him ha ha ha

I tried to fit as much shenhua players as possible. ha ha ha

All the chinese goalies are crappy, might as well be a crappy shenhua goalie

23. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I never understood that...why are Chinese goalkeepers not that good? Is it the coaching, the ability...I've yet to find one Chinese gk who has yet to install any real confidence in me at least.

24. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    The WC 2002 goalie, Jiang Jin, was huge but had slow reflexes.

I think Wang Dalei is a good prospect. I also thought Yang Cheng, the WYC goalie, played well except for the mistakes in the Germany match.

25. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I always thought that An Qi was full of promise, but he has too many mental problems and is now just an afterthought. I think the current crop is pretty solid with both Liu Yunfei and Li Leilei. Leilei is big and fat (sort of reminds me of sp*rs keeper, Paul Robinson), but he can get around the box and comes up with some great saves.