What is (was) the Aztex Alliance?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by dspence2311, Oct 24, 2010.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Any other Alliance members pondering this question? I wouldn't mind hearing something from the organization.

If this is all horribly true, maybe the Alliance can become a support group, dealing with loss through beer.

2. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, along with a number of other Army members were also members of the Aztex Alliance. It was a premium membership directly with the Aztex that was supposed to give us special access and privileges. You can find out what the Aztex said it was here. Personally, I've been terribly disappointed with it since about 3 months into the season. It even got so bad that the Alliance had to tell the front office effectively, get with the program and start doing what you promised.

I was also a 2 year Founders Club member, which was the equivalent of the Alliance prior to this season. Similar sort of structure.

So, as a 2 year Founders Club member and 1 year Aztex Alliance member, have I gotten any additional information about the club?

No.

3. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds similar to Hoops Nation, later FCD Nation, up in Dallas. I was a founding member and therefore got a t-shirt, a bumper sticker, and two free tickets per year in perpetuity (which so far they HAVE continued to honor, although you have to jump through some hoops, no pun intended.) So that's not a bad deal, but other than that it disappeared from public discourse as soon as it started.

4. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similar except for one huge difference. Hoops Nation (I'm also a member) was completely free, whereas membership as a Founder, or later, an Alliance member, was far from it. I don't recall earlier season pricing, but Alliance membership this year was an extra $100.

5. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it cost me like $10 to join Hoops Nation. But good god, $100? That's outrageous. :eek:

6. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that may be right, $10 for FCD. Still a big difference, as you saw. Also, I don't recall there being annual re-registration fees for FCD's thing. The $100 was per season.

7. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I joined Hoops Nation for a one time $10 fee. We got T-shirts and maybe free tickets the second season. I don't remember. We don't as often as I'd like cause of the drive plus the staff was jerks to us last time so we haven't been back.

8. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before that, Founders Club was like $245 per season. We were told by Phil, "Once you're a Founders Club member, you're always a Founders Club member". I guess "forever is 3 years".

9. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    We don't know exactly what's going on yet. It's possible we'll have a team next year. But my question was really aimed at why Alliance members are so in the dark at this point. I am an Alliance member, but I remember it being billed as sort of a way to support the team and have access to the team (which, to be fair, it has been, at least a little bit). I guess I expected that it might involve real discussions of team issues, like this one. In any case, it sux to be kept in the dark, and I'm sure that's equally true for Alliance members and other fans.

10. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was definitely a "messaging" that Alliance members would have greater input in the team and organization than what happened. It was so disappointing for me, I was seriously questioning whether I would join again next season. It would appear that decision has been made for me.

11. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    People like Matt and others have really gone the extra mile to build community support for the Aztex, and a lot of that work was done on faith. If the Aztex as we know them are gone, I can't imagine when people are going to be willing to do that kind of work again. If, on the other hand, we do have something like the same team again next year, people's willingness to continue to work to build the fan base, etc., will depend upon what sort of ownership/management we have in place (or if it's the same one, what accounts for this period of twisting in the wind).

As I browse the boards it's not sounding good at all.

12. CR#7

CR#7 New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Beaumont
    If the news is true, unfortunately, several of us in the soccer circle had heard rumors of it over a year ago. It was well known that they were losing a lot of money and were not happy about it. The thought was that if a farse like the Posse could pull in lots of fans then a real team should be able to pull in lots more fans.

I think they thought the community involvement would make all the difference. I have known everyone who has had the soccer team in Austin and can tell you that they all were heavily involved in charity and their communities....they just didn't advertise it as heavily. But, it never seemed to pull in folks the way you would think.

I hope if the news is true....and it certainly appears to be.....announced later today, then Austin is able to pull in another team. I have heard of a Spanish league team that looked to pull away the Latin support from the Aztex and that would have made it even more difficult. I think a lot of fans were disappointed with the lack of Hispanic players and Austin players in general. I think it was thought that the locals would get a better nod. I realize it is not feasible, but that is how the team was portrayed when it was first announced.

It seems they just did not stay true to the things they said they would and many were losing interest. That is just my opinion and that of several people in the Austin soccer community.

I hope you are able to get a team in the new league that has been courting you, it is thought to be a good take on the PDL Pro type model and really fits the Texas soccer scene better than PDL. Well, better than PDL is supposed to be but we all know that a lot of the PDL teams have payed players which is against the rules.

Best of luck to you guys we really need a team to stay in Austin. It just makes for more opportunities for our Texas boys.

13. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking as one who's given thousands of hours and hundreds of dollars, as well as a lot of my own personal credibility, I feel betrayed. I spent a lot of my own personal credibility in trying to get folks to buy into the Aztex. I argued that they were different, they were community and fan focused, from what we'd had before. The hours I spent on the website, podcast, emails, events, etc. And I'm only one of MANY who did this.

Now, I feel like a used chump.

If the Aztex were to come and say they would have a team next year in Austin, at any level, my response would be "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me".

If another team comes in to Austin, you can trust I'll do a hell of a lot more due diligence before jumping on board.

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I hate soccer in the US. The same old shit, over and over again, undermining it's own chances of success.

15. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I will feel the same way. I didn't do nearly as much as you did, but there were quite a few people who went to bat for this club here in Austin. I really got the impression that this was a 5 year commitment and that we were building something good, albeit slowly.

He who pays the piper calls the tune. That may be a practical reality, but that doesn't make it a moral truth. Hard to see what is preferable about Orlando in the long run. If this is true, then we were fooled.

If another team does come to Austin, I'm not sure what due diligence could be done. Better to stick to long-distance affiliations with better established clubs. I used to go to Dynamo games once or twice a year; I can still take my kids there.

16. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he said.

17. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word.

You all have put it more clearly than I can right now. I am devastated.

My 6-year-old son -- whom many of you know -- is not going to take this well when I have to eventually tell him what's happened. I had hoped to make going to professional matches together something that we did together year after year as father and son. They've taken that away from us. Chantico's Army were like a bunch of his favorite aunts and uncles who got together every week with drums and horns and confetti and who we talked about constantly. Losing that will be like losing part of his family.

BTW I was the Alliance Commissioner and I have no idea how to answer the original question, except to say "A huge waste of time and money with very little in return?"

Damnit.

18. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

Roma
    United States
    May 3, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey, do you have a mail list (or email list) for the Alliance membership? Similarly, Matt, and/or whoever, does Chantico's Army maintain a membership list?
    Like you, I've grown quite fond of our extended family here. I'm terrible with names, though; some of you I know only by your BS handles, some only by your faces, some I've had a drink with, but probably never even spoken to. Is it totally stupid to think we might be able to keep the group together in some form beyond BS? Or at least get back together for a big farewell party?

Chantico's might be the best forum, but I suspect neither it, nor this BB, nor the Alliance, comprises a "complete" supporters list.

I could offer my house for such a party, if folks want to do it some time later. And/or perhaps we could make a scene at the UT-A&M game this Friday? Still no beer, though. :(

(I saw reference to drinking together tonight on the post-mortem thread, but no details, and I can't make it tonight anyway.)

19. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll leave the bulk of that answer to mgray, but if anyone else hasn't caught tonight's details: 6:00 at Mister Tramps (http://mistertramps.com) on 183.

20. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Nick I have the Alliance list.

I don't feel like planning anything at the moment though. Last night at Mister Tramps was enough for me -- I need to take a hot bath, drink some good scotch, hug my wife and son and try to move on for the next few days.

Adisak was asking all the way home last night "Daddy why we cut up that Aztex shirt?" and it was hard to explain how and why it made Daddy and his friends feel better.

21. PedroGallardo

PedroGallardo New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just wanted to express my admiration to all of you guys.
    Growing up in Mexico where Soccer is bigger than life itself,i had never seen a group of people as dedicated and as willing to support a team,project,experiment or whatever this was as you all.
    It was certainly an enjoyable experince to see you guys in action every
    single gameday(and days between games).

On a personal note,also wanted to thank you for all the outpouring support for one particular player(Miguel Gallardo),i know his gratitud is inmense.Having watched a couple of games with you guys,i noticed your
    unwavering support.

Again,it was a real pleassure meeting a lot of you and i hope to one day share a beer with you guys in much better circumstances.
    For now,i will try to hold on to the great and not so great memories obtained over the last couple of years.

Thank you.

P.S.
    Bear with my english please,even though i have been here ten years,it is still my second language.

22. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Pedro, thanks very much. My kids and I are big fans of Miguel. We certainly wish him all the best. And really, for me at least, that goes for the rest of the players. We really enjoyed watching them play, and it hurts to think we won't be able to have a home town team any more. But that doesn't mean we can't wish a bright future for guys like Miguel. As one of the few who was here all three years, we have really enjoyed watching him play.

23. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

Roma
    United States
    May 3, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes indeed. Please pass along our love and best wishes to Miguel, et al.

I must say, as bad as I feel about these past few days, I'll still probably be rooting for this team should I ever happen to see them again down the road. And the players, certainly, without reservation.

24. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Hi Pedro,

Miguel was my favorite player on the team, all the way back to the Austin Lightning days. He was always exciting to watch.

I hope he does well in Orlando, and I will be surprised if he's not with a big team, some day.

Please let him know that he still has fans in Austin.