What is the worst event you have witnessed at a youth soccer match?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Jan 10, 2020.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I've seen a few but two take the cake.

Sockers 2005 Boys were playing at Huntley high School and during the match the parents of the opposing team were barking at the Sockers players. There was some seriously nasty stuff spewed off when one of the parents doing the yelling started yelling at one of the Sockers boys. Now at the time these kids were 11 or 12.

The father yells at the opposing dad to stop yelling at his son and the opposing dad steps up to the Sockers dad's face. A verbal argument ensues and like that, the Sockers dad drops dead on the spot.

Absolutely horrible event! Sockers covered the rest of the season and the next season. They set up a tribute online and more.

Well... I will post that one tonight ;)

2. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Well, no one has ever died (or even been taken to the hospital), so I can't top that one. But two do stick in my mind...

1) A U14(?) game got a little out of control between parents and the ref. Coach ended up ejected as did 2-3 parents.

2) U12? girls game got a lot out of control, parents from both teams yelling at each other, parents yelling at coaches, coaches yelling at parents. One of our parents yelled (to the other team's parents) "these are f-ing kids!". Sort of defeats the purpose of the complaint if you're going to drop an F-bomb. We were the home team and we heard later the visitor team had to have a sheriff's deputy at all of their future games.

Beau Dure repped this.
  3. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Thankfully cannot top Volk. That said:

-- At a U14(?) boys game at a tournament I helped run, a goalkeeper gets a red card for some kind of hard foul. Unhappy dad sees what he assumes is a tournament official sitting on a golf cart (she's not, she's a trainer), charges toward her and verbally unloads on her, then storms back to the sideline where he rips off his shirt and skulks around bellowing about the injustice. His son's coach deftly diffuses the situation, tells dad to stand down, apologizes to the refs, and the club later apologizes profusely in a nice letter. Faith in humanity restored.

-- At one of my son's games at about U13, a blowout his team was winning against pretty low-skill opposition, a dad from the other team loudly encourages one of that team's larger players (not his child, it turns out) to play enforcer and deliver some revenge for the scoreline, congratulates him when he does, ... That parent's son later gets his foot stepped on by my child (I'm fairly sure he didn't mean it, but things had gotten pretty chippy by that point ...) and goes down crying near his dad on the sideline. Dad comes onto the field and grabs his son by the jersey and yanks him up, criticizing him for (I think) lack of toughness. Dad then again encourages the team enforcer to deliver payback. All of this at really high volume. The refs ... don't say a word. Nor did parents from either team. I wish I had.

4. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I’ve witnessed many examples parents out of control on the sidelines, mostly directed at refs, some at other parents…I’ve probably seen a good dozen parents or so ejected, at least one standing right next to me…to be honest, they kinda blend together and have a hard time picking out one incident that was demonstrably worst then another…I’ve seen my share of poor sportsmanship and dirty play on the field as well, but that too tends to blends together…that’s probably a sad commentary…

I will cop to the worst thing I have ever done on a sideline…heck, I think it was just last year. We were over in Champaign at the 1st and Stadium fields; some of those sidelines can get a bit crowed and tight. Anyway, our game ends; pretty sure we lost. Me and another dad, seeing that the next game parents wanted to move their chairs into place, stepped up on to the touchline to make room from them, as we waited for our boys pack up and to walk around the field to us. As we are waiting and just chatting away, the next game starts…less than 5 minutes; quickest turnaround I’ve ever seen. Understandably, one of the parents asked us to move…which we quickly did and apologized as we did so for being in the way…we honestly weren’t playing any attention and we were both embarrassingly caught by surprise the next game had started….like I say, quickest turnaround ever.

So, now we are standing behind these parents, pretty much commenting on what a quick turnover that was, when of the adults (different from the one who asked us to move, but I believe related) says purposefully loud enough for us to hear “You meet the rudest people at these things”. I was like are you talking about us? Which quickly led to a bunch of F-you’s and other such comments being exchanged…it got pretty heated pretty quick, and then just as quick, got kinda silly, and we finally walked away. Even in the moment, I think I knew this was one of the dumbest confrontations I’ve ever had with someone…I just couldn’t stop myself.

Of course, by this time, our kids had finally walked up and witnessed most of it…needless to say, my son was super impressed with his dumbass dad…I am sure anyone who witnessed this incident would have thought I was the biggest tool in the world, and at that moment they would have been right….

And no, stone sober…

The thing is, I’ve been pretty mellow on the sidelines for the last 3 or 4 years now…it just caught me wrong and got out of hand very quickly…

bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    I'll add one I'd forgotten about until reading Wolf's. Not violent or loud, but amusing and a little aggravating.

Toward the end of halftime at one of my son's tournament games a couple of years ago, the teams were on the field, all but ready to kick off, when parents lugging chairs, bags, ... began trickling across the field form a far corner headed toward roughly where another dad and I were standing and talking on the parent sideline. Two or three groups of a few each slowly, obliviously made their way across the field. I remember one of the dads being seriously engaged in a waffle cone. They all seemed to be entirely unaware of the players and refs on the field about to kick off. Kickoff waits maybe an extra 45 seconds for them to clear the field. Rude, but no big deal.

Then they began setting up their chairs and gear between us and the sideline -- a space of no more three or four feet. It became clear as they talked while doing all this (including one hoisting an umbrella in front of us) that they were setting up for the next game.

The other dad and I stopped talking and just watched, looking at each other like "Is this really happening?" He finally asked me out loud whether I thought they knew we were even there, leading one of them to turn around and realize they'd set up essentially on top of us and move behind us. All but ice cream dad, who kept his seat in front of us with his waffle cone.

6. The Stig

The Stig Member

Jun 28, 2016

7. Unnaturallybigger

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Unfortunately, my story happened at U10. Semi's of a reasonably large tournament. Ref is allowing a lot of physical play, tackles from behind, thrown elbows, pushing etc. There sideline is pretty noisy, but one women is incessantly screaming, and among other things, is telling their boys to take out our boys in a language other than English. Our boys are retaliating. It's turning into Lord of the Flies on the pitch and the sidelines are getting chippy with each other. One of their 9 year olds tells one of our parents to "shut the f%$k up". There are multiple stoppages of play for injuries (nearly a dozen by games end), but fortunately nothing serious. I tell the AR that the game is getting out of hand and he needs to do something. He agrees that it is out of hand, but due to "ref protocol" he is not allowed to say anything to the CR. I said "so ref protocol trumps player safety", (which was the most polite thing I said to him, don't exactly recall the rest but it wasn't positive). Both sidelines are arguing with the CR and he is arguing back. It's a complete unmitigated cluster F. My son executes a clean but hard slide tackle, no foul called, but the player he tackled pops up and punches my son in the stomach. Ref looks at my son and waves it off. Game ends 1-1, the other team advances, and the refs literally sprint off the field. In the handshake line the other players are flipping off our players and one of them punches one of our kids in the stomach.

I've seen a lot of youth soccer games in the last 7 years but nothing I've seen has remotely come close to this game.

8. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    https://media.giphy.com/media/HBGWRpcmmaioo/giphy.gif

9. Backyard Bombardier

Manchester United
    United States
    Jun 25, 2019
    1) U14G game last summer. Mouthy Dad gets into it with Ref. Ref tells him to zip it, Mouthy Dad proceeds to spit a string on epithets at him spanish. Ref speaks spanish. Mouthy Dad is ejected, makes the Walk of Shame away from the field and proceeds to stand at the top of the hill, arms folded, and glare down at us the rest of the game. We all laugh. Jackass.

2) U13G game; we're losing. One of our girls, who is a total thug of a player, nails an opposing player from behind while she was carrying the ball. She put our her arm to stop herself from faceplanting into the FieldTurf...and her forearm snaps a couple inches above the wrist. Hand flops around a bit like a wet noodle, and then the screaming starts. Yikes. We're all standing around in awkward silence as the cart comes out to get her, after what everybody knows was a deliberate cheap shot. (No card either) The remainder of the game was super uncomfortable, but none of the other parents said anything of note to us. They should have.

3) U13G tournament in Oklahoma. My daughter's first club tournament game. Our FWD passes the initial kick back to my daughter, and one of theirs- a real moose, that looked 16- charged and basically cutblocked her right at the knees. I lost my shit, but before I went too far off the rails I noticed that DD saw it coming and hopped up in the air a bit to get her feet out of the turf (Smart girl!) and proceeded to land on top of Moose, WWE-style.

Moose got the wind knocked out of her, and started rolling around on the ground, struggling for breath. Now Moose Dad looses his shit, and wants my daughter, who is standing there utterly perplexed as to what is going on, carded. Some of our parents that are close to the opposing side of the field start to let him have it, and both coaches have to get involved to cool things down. At this point we are about :05 into the match, and I am wondering just WTF we have gotten ourselves into with club soccer.

10. Concerned

Concerned Member

Fire
    France
    Jun 30, 2018
    A pool party

upper left, Beau Dure and William49 repped this.
  11. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    8th grade girls indoor. Two teams that really hated each other. The game started getting physical and the referee swallowed his whistle so it got worse. Girls were boarding each other at every opportunity and the room was almost vibrating with the hate.

The the meekest, mildest girl on my team planted wrong and dislocated her knee. The sound she made is one that I will never forget.

The other coach called me after the game and we agreed that things were out of control. Before our next game, we had a joint meeting with both teams where we explained that the last game was uncool and we didn't want want a repeat of the prior game.

12. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    As a player, I saw, and played in many games that got badly out of hand. The worst being a brawl that caused the game to be abandoned. The fighting continued up to the changing rooms with players and coaches all involved. Pretty nasty. Both clubs were dragged over the coals at the ensuing league committee hearing. To be honest, if that had happened after the pub on a Saturday night, it would have been a court summons and not a football hearing.

As a coach, other than a little parental coaching from the side (which is quickly stamped out), there is virtually zero problems at the upper levels. The games are very physical and full-blooded, but nothing the referee isn't paid to deal with.

13. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If its ok, i will post Bout berlin germany u10 team. (Glad i found this thread)
    We are... A europa league (ie not premiere, but close with youth) quality club in berlin. There are around 240 clubs here in berlin.

Unbeknownst to be i was playing against a coach who was a former professional boxer and whom had previously coached at our club. Years ago, he was given "hausverbot" meaning he was forbidden from entering club premises for threaten behaviour.

When i see his kids in the locker room, no joke u10 kids are all downing redbull cans.

I was immediately worried i would have to call child services when i was hearing him literally scream with a blood curteling voice in warm um...

In the u10s in berlin, there are no refs. Its called they fair play league.... No scores are officially recorded and they children are taught fundamentals instead of results, at least that is the official policy...

As soon as kick off starts his u10 kids come out as if it is an mma match.

As weird as it sounds, it took me a good ten minutes to fully understand what was going on (think of aliens the movie where the incompetent Lt. Is getting his men slaughtered by the aliens).

I stop the match at go up to the boxer and say if they keep playing the match this way, i am taking my kids off.

Match starts back up my kid accidentaly fouls a kid (our first foul and btw, no elbows, kneecaps etc as they had pratically every 30 seconds) and their entire parent group started to threan this poor 9 year old.

As soon as that happened, a took them off.

I took it to the berlin soccer administration and his opening words were there is no problem giving u10s red bull before a game....

14. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    :laugh:

I can see this clearly in my minds eye.

I coached in Germany in the mid-2000s for a number of years and was really surprised by the behaviour of many Germany coaches and parents. I've watched, and intervened, as opposing coaches have reduced players to tears on the pitch and then continued to scream at them on the sidelines after substitution. Horrible to watch. Strangely, this approach must work to a certain extent as Germany consistently produce many of the world's best players.

The three things that really impressed me coaching in Germany were:

1. The high standard and availability of facilities. Absolutely amazing.
    2. The high standard of referees, especially young referees. There were many 13/14 year old refs who officiated games with confidence, common sense and authority. Great to see.
    3. The wonderful organisation of tournaments for youth football.

So many positives in the way Germany runs it's grassroots football..... however, drinking Red Bull before the game seems a step too far ;)

15. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Okay so #2... Here we go so busy so I have not got to this until now...

In 2017 (Fall) there was a club called Goleadores FC which had a handful of girls teams coached by Mike Lopez. https://www.iwsl.com/pastscores.php?d=FALL2017&f=U13DNST

The next season all these teams moved over to Elgin Pumas - https://www.iwsl.com/pastscores.php?d=FALL2018&f=U14CNST

The very next season these teams were out of Pumas and joined Chicago Soccer Academy (CSA) - Mike Lopez came along with them (CSA-GFC).
    https://www.iwsl.com/pastscores.php?d=FALL2019&f=U15BNWST

First thought is what the hell is going on here??? A total of 7 teams came over to CSA last fall - they maintained their own uniforms and coach Lopez ran the show.

In any case... CSA held there second annual MidWest Cup out of Stuart Sports Complex in Montgomery, IL - near Aurora. The home page of the events stated:

THIS EVENT IS SANCTIONED BY:

And then listed the Illinois Youth Soccer, IYSA and USClub soccer logos.

Great - so my kid was asked alongside some other 05 girls to play with the 03 team in this tourney. The tourney took place from 9/20 - 9/22. We played on 9/22 (Sunday) against the 2003 CSA-GFC team (essentially our own club). The game was fairly well managed - no calls, sloppy but it was raining and muddy.

During the first half one of the GFC player got a run on my daughter who was playing right back. Now my kid is very good at slide tackling - very clean all the time. She went down and pushed the ball out of bounds on a slide tackle on the opposing player. They opposing parents said nothing - ref did not blow any whistle - it was very clean.

However the opposing player did not want to have any of it. The other team now has a throw in. The player signals to her mate (we are right there seeing this), that she wants the ball and she is standing infornt of my kid. Ball is thrown in - passess them both and the player grabs my kid by the shoulders and throws her to the ground - then jumps on her with an elbow to the chest.

Ref runs over and throws a yellow, kid throws a double bird to the ref - ref pulls a red (which he should have done out-right). Now the kid jumps back on my kid - grabs her by the head and lifts and then slams her head into the ground. Then if that was not enough, she closed fists punches my kid twice in the head.

My ex does not participate in these events. So as a dad I had to tend to my daughter. Every parent I spoke to said they would have seperated or gone after the player - but that was not even a thought for me. My kid could not move and was in pain and I stayed with her.

The opposing parents were appauled. The girl that did it had two mates come over and high five her and multiple adults claimed that the coach applauded her as well.

She was taken out by ambulance to Rush (Copley) where she had multiple tests and was diagnosed with a concussion.

She missed 1 weeks of school and about a month + of soccer.

16. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #16 VolklP19, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Part 2...

CSA DOC calls me 2 days later - no problem, I've coached tourney weekends and it is exhausting.

What was his solution? Well apparently he discovered that Lopez and the rest of the GFC never had a code of conduct. So CSA DOC passes that on - end of story. I guess someone did not do their homework and never bothered to vet the teams/coaches. I suspect the move from GFC followed to the move to Pumas followed by a third jump to CSA in the span of 3 seasons wasn't obvious enough.

I asked coach Lopez if the players card was being pulled. His response was "She did not play that game after and that she was not alowed to play an IWSL game that they had later that day".

Well for one... The ref called the tourney game altogether - they forfieted and were order off the field. Later when I pressed coach Lopez - explaining how is it fair that my daughter is missing school and games and he's not pulling the card, his response was... "When your daughter gets better she can play games with my 05 team".

Holy shit - get ready for it. First off the team is a B team - so thats a violation of league rules. Secondly - the player who beat up my kid was an 05 as well - playing up that weekend. So this coach felt it okay that my kid just jumps on the same team with the girl that committed battery on her???

CSA DOC wanted nothing to do with pulling the card - for any period of time. All about second chances.

Now my kid loves her mates and I did not want to ruin that by being an ass so I'm going at this quietly at this point... I figure if this is a shit show we'll just leave after Fall.

I reach out to IWSL - this was not a IWSL sanctioned tourney so they dont really have much authority. However I'm told "Oh I see the tournament was sanctioned by Illinois Youth Soccer Association, I can get a claim form for you so you can at least try to get covered for your medical bills".

Five minutes later I get a call back, The tourney was not sanctioned by IYSA or US Youth Soccer. I grab a screen shot right away at this point - figuring something was shady. Anyhow the IWSL rep says "I see USClub on there - try them". Now I know the (USClub rep) so I send him and email... You'll never guess, USClub did not sanction the tourney either.

The USClub rep sends a soft cease and desist to the CSA DOC who responds (I have the email). That it was their mistake - that the web page was from the year prior - even though the dates are current:confused:

About 45 minutes later the page was updated... Good thing I got that screen shot with the date and URL :thumbsup:

A few weeks pass - I am slammed at work and a single dad who has custody of my kid so I cannot always get to this stuff as fast as I should. Anyhow I file a report with the Fox Valley Park District Police. They encourage me not to press charges and I did not - in the event I wanted to file a small claims against the party - they would not have an open response of charges because a report just stays put.

I then reach out to the CSA DOC and ask for the event insurance so I can file a claim with them. 2 weeks later I get that. I complete the report but it has to be signed by the DOC so I sent that - wait another two weeks and only get it (again) after threatening leagal action.

So I submit the claim with supporting documentation.

Guess what the response is?

"We have found a club by the name of Chicago Academy Soccer which is under [the same policy you provided] effective 9/23/19 at 12:47PM". "Due to the above claimant being injured on September 22, 2019 we are notifying you that there will be no Participant Accidental coverage for the injured claimant"

Yup - that's right CSA's insurance policy for the weekend tournament did not even start until the Monday it was over.

In speaking with other club DOC's, had they known this - they would have not particiapted. In speaking with a Ref in Cincinnati a few weeks back, he stated that there is zero chance Refs would have even agreed to participate without proper sanctioning - much less insurance.

Should change the tread title to "Some Shady Shit that Clubs Are Up To".

So now it's on to Stuart Sports Plex and I may even hit up a township board meeting in Montgomery, St Charles and Geneva.

You guys thought I had issues with Sockerso_O

17. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Some fault definitely falls on the owner of the complex. It is their responsibility to collect proof of insurance that names them as additionally insured.

18. bluechicago

bluechicago Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, not sure how they even pulled that off. There are multiple levels of fraud there. And I thought the multiple fights I had to break up/step into between dads at ECNL games over the years was bad. Good advice, never be the biggest guy on the team, the moms always want you to jump in.

Best one I had was over a decade ago, we were U-littles at a tournament, my DD injured two GK from a team with shots, after the game, our coach is talking to the team and one of the GK moms comes right up to him and punches him, no warning, no words, just a straight up punch. He was so stunned, he popped up and ran off.

19. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #19 VolklP19, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    That's pretty bad for an adult to do that - what happened to her?

Apparently CSA is issuing credits to *some* players who left mid-season and not others. Class act all the way.

20. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    You bet - Just got this today from the Finance Director...

I was sorry to hear of your daughter’s injury at the Stuart Sports Complex on September 22, 2019 and hope that her recovery is going well. In response to your inquiry regarding the relationship between Chicago Soccer Academy and Stuart Sports Complex, the Chicago Soccer Academy is a wholly independent entity from the Fox Valley Park District and their use of the Stuart Sports Complex was under a written field rental agreement for the tournament dates of September 20 – September 22, 2019. The Fox Valley Park District provided no personnel to staff the tournament and did not provide any accident insurance for the players. While it is ordinarily our practice to require evidence of liability insurance from any organization renting our facilities for sporting events, it appears in this case the park district did not receive a valid certificate of insurance from Chicago Soccer Academy for this tournament. As to any other insurance that may be available to you from the Chicago Soccer Academy, we do not have any information on that to provide you.

Sincerely,

Fox Valley Park District

21. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dishonesty meets ineptness... total B.S.

22. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am still dumbfound and impressed how well you (Volk) handled yourself at the field…I say this with all humility and embarrassment, I would have totally lost my shit…

23. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    A lot of people reacted like this - even the two cops who took my report had the same response. I think if you were the only parent of your kid you would have tended to your player.

That said all the parents from both sides were in complete shock. Fortunately we have a federal agent who has a complete medical kit on our team and the CSA team playing after us had an EMT who could help while we waited in the rain for the ambulance.

This is not the end of it for the club for sure. But it was enough for us to question the ethics of the DOC and ultimately leave altogether.

mwulf67 repped this.
  24. WVRevy

WVRevy New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At a high school game in WV, one of the opposing team parents yelled at their players to "take our her knees", talking about my daughter. I was not near enough to hear it (probably a good thing), but I had several players and other parents mention it after the game. I also personally heard her called a bitch by opposing fans and heard them cheer other players being injured.

WV high school soccer was pretty awful.

25. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    One of ours was cold-cocked during a state cup game by a disgruntled opponent who had no direct beef with them just happened to be standing nearby when the foul go called.

Maybe u13 at the time... Had to sit out rest of game for precaution.

You had to rub your eyes to make sure you saw what you thought ... I’ve seen plenty of mutual aggressiveness but this was unique in as much as one “combatant” wasn’t even looking at the other.

Red card. We won. Good laugh years later.