What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    @Robert Borden

I'm curious about the Kaye at left back situation. I suppose he would duplicate Piette et al in mid?

He just seems to be in such a good run of form in LA who are playing at an elevated level (for MLS). Putting Davies at left back instead should lessen injury concerns, I'd think, while letting him pick his shots going forward.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Darn, missed O Canada because I tuned in late. Looks like Davies left wing and Kaye left fb and Pietter at the 6.

4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oof, Canada fortunate there that it's not 1-0 Martinique.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    18' in I'm pretty sure they should play Kaye at the 6 and let Piette do his thing a tick higher.

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cornelius should've scored there. Really it should be 1-1 if either team finishes their golden chance.

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Canada nearly lost Davies to CONCACAF thuggery. The ref only gave a yellow. I hope someone does not kill Pulisic, Davies or some other quality player in this "League of Thugs" tournament.

8. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Jonathan David scores 1-0. He is the real deal.

9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed the goal, boo! Saw the replay though.

How hot is it there?

10. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I feel like this is the first time in my life that I can watch this team and think 'we are good, not bad, finally". The only other window to say that was the 2007 Gold Cup.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martinique just wide.

Canada look good on the ball, bad off of it.

largegarlic repped this.
  12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Godinho is trash. Brault-Guillard should be starting at RB.

Martinique could be up by 2.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    That's what I was thinking too. The Canadian attack is exciting and effective, but they're really shaky defending.

15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borjan standing on his head to keep this 1-0 Canada. A good team is up by 1 or 2 here.

16. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Piette with the ridiculous giveaway. Martinique nearly score.

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they've got molasses in the middle (Hutchinson), Cornelius isn't very good, Godinho looks bad, and Kaye waaaay out of position.

You can't just fill the team with attackers and look good on defense. Sorta like a reverse Gregg Berhalter, who prefers attackers who can't attack/work hard on D.

18. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No offense but Canada is not looking any good today. They got a goofed goal but Martinique has had the big chances. I am disappointed.

19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am not saying that Canada is good but they now have three. They are playing one of the many many REALLY horrible teams in this thug fest and when you are playing teams that bad it is hard to look good.

Canada did try to give away some goals early and it looked like they were sleepwalking thought the first 30 minutes or so but I am pretty sure they felt that no matter how bad they played they could come back against such a bad team.

20. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    of course I made the huge mistake of giving my opinion at half time. Canada just killed it in the second half. Still not impressed though, goals came more from MTQ flukes than Canada's play. Still in this cup you jist have to win and go ahead. I am expecting big things from this Canada generation.

As I type this is 4-0 nil and still it is clear they lack experience risking many hits and trying to start posession in their half.

21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do not know what the final score will be but without the total incompetence of the finishers the score could easily have been 9-5. I do not think either team wants to play much defense.

22. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    They need to play Henry at CB, Brault Guillard at RB and move Kaye out of LB.

23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol,David is for sure going to end up being Canada's all time scorer. Already at 6 goals in 5 games, all time is 22 goals. He's only 19 years old.:ROFLMAO:

1 more and he's already 1/3 in.

and 4 more to breakthrough the top 10 all time scorers list.

DCYC repped this.
  24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada 4-0 Martinique
    Highlights

• Milan Borjan was exceptional as the keeper. He was our best defender
    • This team will go as far as the defense can hold. Godhino at RB is rusty and it showed by the aptitude and potential to be a great RB is there. Hutchinson as CB was a logical choice. He made smart plays when he could but his speed was a liability. Cornelius made some great plays and was bad at time. His play was inconsistent.
    • Zachary Brault-Guillard should be the starting RB. Miller should be given the start with Cornelius as CB. Kaye was annoyingly out of position at LB but we have no choice but to live with it for this Gold Cup.
    • Hutchinson should be DM ahead of Piette who's capable of much better than what he showed today but it was a great assist on the Hoilett goal.
    • . Canada does not have the luxury of playing guys out of position at defense. He did say that for League of Nations, it's all hands of deck but he left some players out so they could keep earning minutes at club level.
    LB-Sam Adekudbe (Valeranga, Norway) is our #1 at the position. Injured

Marcel De Jong (Pacific, CPL) is #2 / injured

Ashtone Morgan (Toronto FC) / seems that Kaye was preferred over the natural LB but he might get an opportunity

CB-Manjekar James (FC Midtjylland, Norway) was left out so he could focus on earning minutes for his club.

Doneil Henry (Vancouver Whitecaps, MLS) / Injured

The duo of James and Henry should have been our 1st pair. Cornelius need more consistency in his game and Miller is green.

We need Tomori and a healthy Ferreira to switch to Canada...desperately.

RB-Juan Cordova (Huachipato, Chile) was left out so he could focus on keep getting minutes at his club. He can play both RB and LB and would have been the #1 pick at LB or RB. Brault-Guillard should start against Mexico.

The defense Corps with Cordova, James, Adekugbe and Henry should be at Nations League if healthy.
    • Hutchinson is the superior DM. Piette was subpar.
    • Hoilett despite the goal was subpar as well, much more is expected out of him
    • Osorio was good, an attacking threat, good but not great in my opinion, Kaye should get a shot there.
    Now the positive
    • Scott Arfield is pure quality who truly upgraded our midfield since joining us.
    • Davies was sensational and created so many opportunities and was a nightmare to defenders. The surprise was Liam Millar who sub for Davies kept the pressure and played like him. We truly have depth at wings.
    • Jonathan David is the co-superstar on this team and might even overshadow Alphoso Davies at some point. Clinical, calm, opportunistic and excellent on the ball. A move to Bundesliga seems imminent.
    • Cavallini wasn't a big threat in this game but he will be asked to do so against Mexico against which he will most likely get the start.
    Prediction against Mexico

-------------------------Cavallini
    Davies-------------------------------------Hoillet

Arfield---------------------------------------Osorio
    -----------------------Hutchinson

Kaye-------Miller---------Cornelius---------Brault-Guillard

---------------------------Borjan

25. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    If Herdman plays an out of position backline against Mexico we will get smashed. If he plays actual defenders in position, there is always hope of having a competitive match.

It's strange that Canada has so many attacking players that are dynamic going forward. I never thought that would happen. We actually left good attackers off the roster.