What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2051 Robert Borden, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    22 years old Stephen Eustaquio commits to Canada!
    Currently with Liga MX Cruz Azul, he was dominant for his club Chaves in Portugal and was targeted by Barcelona and Manchester City.

His arrival makes Canada's midfield that much more dangerous and deeper due to his versatility. (Can play RM or CM)

At DM, he's #1 as Hutchinson's replacement, far ahead of #2 Samuel Piette & #3 Russell Tiebert.

What's the problem with Canada?
    Picking 4-5 MF to start out of Eustaquio, Arfield, Davies, Hoilett, Osorio, Piette, Tabla, Wotherspoon, Tiebert! This midfiled can compete and dominate in CONCACAF.

Exciting times for Canada!

Three and Three repped this.
  2. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    He's out until at least Fall with a nasty injury.

I'd pump the breaks on that group dominating Concacaf. Compete is fair.

Tom Collingsworth, jaykoz3 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The top two US CM/DM options start for Schalke and RB Leipzig and are currently among the top few performers for their teams, and I'd also very much pump the breaks on them dominating CONCACAF. Anyway, Canada should compete for a 2022 World Cup spot. If they don't make it, it'll be because of defense, so with promising mid options (ones mentioned above plus CM/DM Mark-Anthony Kaye, who has performed well in MLS for LAFC) Eustaquio should be considered as a CB. It makes sense. Probably could defend serviceably, and even pass better than other normal CB options. It's the same idea with Tabla at LW and Davies at LB to have both on the field -- shouldn't be benching better players in favor of those who have little qualification besides filling the position. Kaye if healthy would be a fine option at DM. Given his size, I would consider Kaye at CB too.

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I meant compete in CONCACAF not dominating the entire region, my bad for the poor choice of words.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would sure hope so.............seeing as it's likely that the 2022 World Cup will have 48 teams...........

6. CanadaManUfan

CanadaManUfan New Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 22, 2019
    I think Canada needs to find a way to get Fikayo Tomori to commit to Canada ... he is an ultra talented young CB playing in the championship on Derby by way of Chelsea.

Tom Collingsworth and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. CanadaManUfan

CanadaManUfan New Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 22, 2019
    2022 does not have 48 teams

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will be decided in the next 3 weeks...........

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  9. CanadaManUfan

CanadaManUfan New Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 22, 2019
    I stand corrected .. lets hope it happens .. I wonder how many more teams would get in from Concacaf??

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomori is probably better than Carter-Vickers. Unfortunately for Canada I think there's a very good chance Tomori will make it with England. That doesn't mean he'll start for them for the next decade but Tomori could very well be a pool player and earn a handful of caps including in UEFA Nations League and WCQ. He also plays right back, so that helps his odds as a useful defender off the bench. He's provisionally cap-tied to England so will push his limits until he's sure he can't make it with them. England does have other very good young prospects at the CB position, but Tomori is a enough of a top prospect that I think he can eventually earn a competitive senior cap.

I'd say the USMNT has a better chance with Siebatcheu than Canada has with Tomori, as odd as that sounds. Siebatcheu has failed to earn a provisional cap-tie with France and his chances for breaking into France's attack are slimmer than Tomori's breaking into England's defense.

11. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is so dumb. That country is not big enough to handle a Cup that large.

gunnerfan7 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. CanadaManUfan

CanadaManUfan New Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 22, 2019
    Who do you view as Canada’s top CB pairing by say 2022? Just makes me real nervous for WC qualifying games/gold cup

13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Callum Montgomery was one of the top two CBs in NCAA soccer, was selected fourth overall by FC Dallas, and possibly could start for them by next year, so he'd be one for me. I'd consider him a promising prospect, unlike some of the mid-20s mediocre options currently on the national team who should not be starting by 2022 if possible, because they have yet to show they can perform consistently in MLS or even in a lower-level first-division in Europe.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callum_Montgomery

The other spot I'm not really sure. I do think Eustaquio and Kaye should be given shots considering there are other options in midfield. I'm intrigued by the idea of Kaye. He's back healthy, is big/athletic, still fairly young, and did well in 2018 for LAFC. He earned the highest WhoScored rating among all LAFC CMs/DMs, with high marks in dribbling, passing, tackling.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark-Anthony_Kaye

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Derek Cornelius for sure. Have to hope that Dos Santos really clean the way Henry plays as he will most like use both together.

Otherwise, I'd have to say James and Cornelius until another CB emerge which could come from CPL.

Best case scenario is Tomori committing and be paired with Cornelius

15. CanadaManUfan

CanadaManUfan New Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 22, 2019
    What does everyone here think of Noble Okello? Julian Dunn-Johnson?

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Highlights from the game between Gent and Liege. Jonathan David started again and seems to have the starter role lock down. At such a young age, he's impressive.

Gent won 2-1 with David picking up the assist.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. CanadaManUfan

CanadaManUfan New Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 22, 2019
    I imagine he will be playing upper tier Bundesliga in August ... Leverkusen, Wolfsburg etc ... amazing talent

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    same here.

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely possible. Guy has some real skill in his game. of course, I happen to like guys who can dribble.

20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not big enough to host a Confederations Cup. Shameful (or, shameless) moneygrab.

VBCity72 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Apertura / Clausura Formula confirmed

[​IMG]

1. Spring Season : April to Canada Day
    2. Fall Season: July to October
    3. Winner of both seasons advance to the finals for the championship.
    4. The 2019 CPL Champion will represent Canada in the 2020 CONCACAF League
    Canadian Premier League Schedule
    Triple header for Canada Day at 6pm (E.T)
    • FC Edmonton vs HFX Wanderers
    • Pacific vs Cavalry
    • Valour vs York 9

Three and Three repped this.
  22. CanadaManUfan

CanadaManUfan New Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 22, 2019
    Exciting times ahead ...

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has there been anything public about whether the split-season format is the plan going forward, or if it's just for the inaugural season?

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Until there's a Division II which could be a form of playoff (Promotion / relegation playoffs), this will likely be the format until then.

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Lucas Cavallini strikes again for Puebla in a 1-1 draw in the Copa MX round of 16. They lost on PKs.