What is the highest level match you have ever officiated?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by YoungRef87, Jan 17, 2018.

1. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    I’m only 17 and haven’t done a ton of high level games yet. Just wondering what big games all of you have done

chwmy and dadman repped this.
  2. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 GearRef, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Either AR1 on a U16 Boys League Final or AR1 on a U14 DA match (have done several). Not impressive but I’m younger so I’m proud of it for the moment. Hoping for a U-12 DA center in the spring.

dadman repped this.
  3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Center - U17 Boys State Cup
    AR - U19 Boys State Cup Final (Well it was the group stage but they were the only two teams participating so...)

4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  5. funsoccer12

funsoccer12 Member

Oct 23, 2016
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    USSF: CR - U17 Boys ODP Regional Match AR - PDL Scrimmage
    College: CR - D2 Boys AR: D1 4th Official: Division 1 Conference Semifinals

6. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done WPS and NPSL as a 4th, DA U18 Center, NCAA D1 Line, various state cup matches.

dadman repped this.
  7. Cornbred Ref

Cornbred Ref Member

Arsenal
    Jan 3, 2018
    Omaha
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Cornbred Ref, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Only one season in, but did:

- Girls U15 state cup final AR
    - College Club game (Creighton v Kansas and Kansas State)
    - Boys U18 state cup semifinal 4th
    - Latino Amateur League final AR
    - ECNL U19 center

I'm 27 and I did over 240 games so I built some decent experience pretty quick and I have been extremely dedicated to progressing super fast and my assignor does a lot for me since I am super willing to do just about any game for him.

IASocFan, dadman, tomek75 and 2 others repped this.
  8. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm 15 and 3 years into refereeing, so haven't done many high level games yet, so I think it's probably U12 center at state tournament or U15 knockout round AR at USA Cup. I'm hoping to start officiating DA, ECNL, MRL, State Cup, and an ODP showcase, but I will likely be unable to accomplish all of these goals this year but hoping to achieve a few.

dadman, Cornbred Ref and YoungRef87 repped this.
  9. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, I aplaude all of you for trying to do your best and climbing the ladder.

On a related note. Try not to do too many games in a season. Your body needs a break. My first season I did way to many games and I paid for it by developing plantar fasciitis and several other minor injuries. If you show a willingness to learn and a good attitude, trust me, you will be noticed and those higher level games will come.

I have been doing this since 2012 at a young age of 37. Now I am in my 2rd year as a Grade 5. I became grade 7 after my 1st year and grade 6 after my 3rd year.
    My first 2 years I, like you, did over 200 games. Over those short years I started to do more high level games but less of them. For the last 3 years I have been working USL games and last season I did my first US Open Cup and NWSL games.

Cornbred Ref and dadman repped this.
  10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the credit to you. My 27 year old feet are getting sore just reading that.

Cornbred Ref and dadman repped this.
  11. me116

me116 Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Center - U15 DA or U18 ODP Regional Camp match

AR: U17 DA or U18 State Cup Semifinal

Goals for this season: U17 DA whistle, U19 DA line, and an invitation to regionals;)

Cornbred Ref repped this.
  12. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know how I got into DA so easily. A friend in New York said this is the guy shoot him an email so I did. He set me up in the USSF GO and I passed the quiz and went to the preseason meeting. Got my first assignment in person from Abby, a U13 AR. Over the fall season, I AR’d 9 DA games, a mix of U13-U14. Maybe it’s tougher in your state, but here in Illinois that’s how I did it.

13. Cornbred Ref

Cornbred Ref Member

Arsenal
    Jan 3, 2018
    Omaha
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the advice tomek75. I definitely learned a lot about my limits. It was my first year and I got fired from my day job like two weeks before the season started so I took the high school months off and just went full steam ahead. I definitely won't be doing anymore 6-game days for tournaments and 7 days a week reffing that's for sure.

14. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    I did almost 100 games last year. Going to the Grade 7 class on Saturday. Hopefully I’ll be assigned some high-level games this year

15. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What a difference 18 months and new zip code (Houston vs Oklahoma) make...
    My highest center is a split between division 2 (of 10) men's open and U19 Development Academy Houston Dynamo vs FC Dallas

Cornbred Ref repped this.
  16. Cornbred Ref

Cornbred Ref Member

Arsenal
    Jan 3, 2018
    Omaha
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which region are you in? Got word my assignor is planning on taking me out to our regionals in Indy. I’m super stoked about it!

me116 repped this.
  17. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was my reply on the previous thread:

USSF : USL-AR
    PDL-AR
    Got my first Open Cup game this week-AR
    USYS Youth National Championships

College : NCAA D1 - Ref
    NCAA D2 National Tournament-AR
    NCAA D3 National Tournament-AR
    NAIA National Tournament-AR

High School : Boys State Final - Ref (2 times) (in KY, there are no classes, only one state final)

Since then I have added with some more:

USSF: USL pre-season Referee
    PDL Referee

YoungRef87, Cornbred Ref and Law5 repped this.
  18. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I don't know about other parts of the country, but around here DA has been having a tough time covering games, even the U-12 solo games. That does create opportunities, of course.

refinDC, tomek75 and YoungRef87 repped this.
  19. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must be nice. Where I live, the closest DA club, boys or girls, is 3 hours away.

20. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    I thought u had to be 18 to ref DA?

21. VariableFeedback

Aug 3, 2009
    Who could have predicted that a league that hasn't raised their game fees since the inaugural season and requires more time from the referees than other youth leagues (earlier arrival time at game sites, more paperwork during the game, and a less-than-simple game report) would have a hard time getting coverage for all of its games?

GoDawgsGo, IASocFan, RedStar91 and 2 others repped this.
  22. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Not very many, but I'm approaching the half century mark and still a bit overweight.

Centered a round robin U12 state academy cup game and AR for three others.
    AR for a U13G SRPL game and a U13B SRPL game.
    AR for a state rec (ARPA) U9G state championship and U12B state championship.

No real interest in doing high school, college, or full size field state cup games. Then again, three years ago I had no interest in doing the games I do now.

threeputzzz repped this.
  23. me116

me116 Member

Aug 25, 2017
    I'm in Region I. I'm upgrading to 7 for 2019, but have gone to the past two State Cup Finals here in Virginia, which gives me hope that I'll get an invitation. Of course, I won't be surprised if I don't, but it is definitely a goal.

Nope, I got my first DA assignments at 15. It definitely depends on location and your rapport with your LAC.

YoungRef87 repped this.
  24. Cornbred Ref

Cornbred Ref Member

Arsenal
    Jan 3, 2018
    Omaha
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish you luck on it! I just did my grade 7 at the end of this outdoor season. I have done a whole lot to develop a good relationship with my assignor and I think that helped get a push into regional, along with my progression and recent upgrade.

me116 repped this.
  25. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AR’d first DA game at 13 years old, now I’m 14. At the meeting he said, “I don’t discriminate based on age, as you can see (there was another young guy in there, think he’s 15). If you have the skill you work the games”. Really nice guy.

voiceoflg and Law5 repped this.