What is the best part of All Star weekend?

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by Matt in the Hat, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, hockey is very lucky to have 3 viable and interesting events during its all star weekend.

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    * The 2016 Honda NHL All-Star Game will be a three-game tournament played in a 3-on-3 format with a prize pool of $1 million to be paid in its entirety to the tournament's winning team.
    * The tournament will feature four teams, one team representing each NHL Division: the Pacific, Central, Metropolitan and Atlantic.
    * Each team will be made up of 11 players: six forwards, three defensemen and two goaltenders.
    * The 2016 NHL All-Star Fan Vote will allow fans to vote for one All-Star player from each Division, without regard to position. The top vote-getter from each Division will be named NHL All-Stars, as well as Captain of his respective team.
    * The remaining 40 NHL All-Stars will be named by the NHL Hockey Operations Department for a total of 44 All-Star players, with at least one player selected from each NHL team.
    * The 2016 Honda All-Star Skills Competition™ returns to a matchup between the Eastern Conference and Western Conference All-Stars on Saturday evening, with the winning conference earning the right to select when their semi-final matchup will be played; first or second on Sunday.
    * Each game in the three-game, 3-on-3 2016 Honda NHL All-Star Tournament will be 20 minutes in length.
    * Teams will change ends at the 10-minute mark of each game. Games that are tied after 20 minutes will be decided by a shootout.
    * The Central Division All-Stars will face the Pacific Division All-Stars and the Atlantic Division All-Stars will face the Metropolitan Division All-Stars in the two Semi-Final games.
    * The winners of each Semi-Final game will play each other in the All-Star Game Final to determine the overall tournament champion.
    * The four division-leading NHL coaches (best points percentage following the completion of games on Jan. 9, 2016) will be named coaches for each of the four All-Star teams

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't think I ever switched the channel away from a sporting event as quickly as I did yesterday after I saw 45 seconds of this all-star thingy (still long enough to see 3 goals mind). What an eye sore! To think some people probably dished-out a couple hundred dollars to watch this garbage... :eek:

4. Huckeye

Huckeye Member+

St Pauli
    May 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hawks fan here, living in Nashville as a season ticket holder, I paid roughly 350 total for Skills Comp and the 3v3 event, skills was great, would have preferred it to go longer, or more events. I enjoyed the 3v3 event, it was probably way better live than it was on TV.