What is the Best Formation for the USA in 2018-19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Deadtigers, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Why not play a 4222?
    -----Wood---pulisic
    -----Adams---McKennie
    ---- Trapp--------delgado
    --Villafana--miazga---CCV------Yedlin

It is purely emotional but I hate Jozy as a RBNY fan and a USMNT fan. I am not a Villafana fan but until Robinson or someone else make a statement, not much to say on the LB, Yedlin is our RB and for now CCV is the other CB until EPB outplays him.

2. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Broader question, absolutely (though I prefer a 3-5-2, or even a 3-6-1). I guess looking again, your lineup isn't THAT bad. But anytime I see MB and Jozy, I know it's someone who is stuck in the past (and I said that long before we missed qualifying, as I was one of the few who saw what was happening). Seeing Acosta was probably what put me over the top here. He's just not very good, from what I've seen (every USMNT game), and Adams already looks to be a better player.

I'd even get rid of Wood, who I like, at this point as he needs to figure out his form. Bring in literally anyone else at this point rather than the same old 2-3 retreads.

3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None at the moment. Depends on the players who are called in and possibly who is the opponent.

4. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think 442 for now. Easier to read the game and define roles so you get a good idea on players. Then as you get closer to games that matter and have a better idea of who is playing, you move to the formation and tactics you will use.

21st Century Pele repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    JK settled on a 4231/442 for much of the '14 cycle. The formation perfectly suited the unique skillset of Clint Dempsey and the clutch of outstanding central midfielders in Jones, Bradley, Williams, and Beckerman. The team excelled in WCQing and in friendlies.

The viability of Kyle Beckerman as an International combined with the dearth of elite wingers(especially with Donovan's exclusion) saw the team successfully utilize a 442 'y' against Ghana in the WC. Further injuries saw the successful transition to a 4141 in the tournament.

The most successful formation of JK's '18 campaign was the flat 442 of the '16 Copa Centenario. The formation complemented JJ and Bradley's newfound chemistry.

The best competitive match in a tough environment, during the Arena tenure, was the draw at Azteca. The formation used was 343. I'm puzzled as to the reasons Arena neither returned to this nor utilized another 3-in-the-back formation.

6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That 3-4-3 was actually more of a 5-4-1 because we were pinned back and Arena used it because he went into the game hoping for a draw. We didn't use it again because he doesn't/didn't know how to coach that formation to be an attacking side.

Having said that, a 3 backline fits our personnel well. I hope our next coach is a legit tactician.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #32 IndividualEleven, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    The strengths of the pool are:
    central midfield
    fullback
    wingback
    wingforward

Suggested formations would be 343, 352, 4132, and 433.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Why do you think CM is a strength? Thanks.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The Paraguay friendly and the CCL matches have shown that the floor of central midfield talent is pretty solid. Meanwhile, the ceiling, of players like McKennie and Parks and possibly Scott, looks pretty strong.

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are the wing forwards you speak of?

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Pulisic, Saief, Bwana, Shea,Weah

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Hmmm. I guess a question is what is the benchmark for our strengths / weaknesses: the rest of our pool or our competition?

I don’t think our central midfield compares well to Mexico at the moment (I use Mexico as our local benchmark as if we can beat Mexico, we’re in bad shape wrt WC).

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    competition

343: besler,miazga,parker; chandler,mckennie,bradler,yedlin; saief,aj,pulisic
    352: besler,miazga,parker; chandler,mckennie,bradler,nagbe,yedlin; altidore,pulisic
    4132: chandler,brooks,miazga,yedlin; bradley; saief,mckennie,nagbe; pulisic,aj
    433: chandler,brooks,miazga,yedlin; mckennie,bradley,nagbe; saief,aj,pulisic

14. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple cycles ago people were complaining about the "empty bucket" because we had TWO holding/defensive mids! Now multiple posters are calling for 4. Blech.

Our backline should be plenty strong this cycle. Let's get some attacking players on the field so we can actually enjoy watching the team play and Pulisic doesn't have to do everything by himself.

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saief I need to see more from. Bwana and Weah are unproven. Talents there but still a ways to go. Shea is nothing but speed. We need more than that. Pulisic is beast.

That's 1 proven player. 1 player who's playing at a good level but untested internationally and 2 youth products yet to do it club level or internal even if talent is there. Not what I would call depth.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The title of the thread is What is the Best Formation for the USA in 2018-19. We've over 14 months until the next tournament, so there is room for consideration of unproven players.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Weah is a CF, not a winger.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He can play on the wing.

19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    In thinking about our formation, I'd focus on the following concepts:
    1. we have two "difference makers" (CP and WM) that we should build our teams around, making sure that we put them in situations that maximize their strengths and offsets their weaknesses:
    2. we have strength/depth in central defenders and, depending upon injury, a third "difference-maker" in JB
    3. we have material deficiencies that need to be covered:
      1. Forward
      2. Defensive midfield
      3. Goalkeeping
      4. a lack of elite speed (other than Yedlin)
      5. a lack of elite possession skills
    4. Our CM pool. outside of WM, lacks players we can rely upon to play possession oriented tactics vs. WC level opponents/speeds although we have depth and up-and-coming youth
      1. all of these players (assuming Williams is too old) compete in leagues whose speed is below WC level

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Player level is more important league level. There are plenty of fast players and a decent number of possession types in the pool. Main deficiency is a lack of proven players at certain positions, a problem which given the lack of a World Cup is not pertinent. But the up and coming talent, so far, looks pretty solid.

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Agreed that a "lack of proven players at certain positions" is a major deficiency. Given the topic, I'd say our formation should look to build around the 2/3 guys who are difference makers at this point and if others raise their game then add them to the core that we build around.

League level should a primary, but not sole, determinant of player level with exceptions for up and coming talent. Given our pool, we will need to have minor leaguers play a substantial portion but we cannot "build" around them but rather switch them in and out.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    No agreement as there is no tournament for the US this season.

How a player does with the NT should be the primary determinant of his role with the NT. Going off rep played a significant role in the WCQing debacle.

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    No one other than CP played consistently well with the NT yet we still rolled out the same core over and over.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He can fake it, but I wouldn't plan to play maybe our most promising up and coming CF as a winger. There are plenty of other options, Amon for instance.

onefineesq and DHC1 repped this.
  25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    18 is a bit early for a player to be nailed to a position. Forgot about Lyndon Gooch. He just completed 5 dribbles against 1 dispossession.