What is Precourt doing?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ZipSix, Jul 7, 2014.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I mean, there IS a Fire Berhalter thread. People have been saying that. I have no interest in his taste in oral sex, but that doesn't mean I may not have said something otherwise after a few gins.

There are probably three distinct groups of Crew fans with opinions on Precourt.

One group thinks that he is fantastic. They point towards his engagement. The rebrand. The hiring of Berhalter. And the success of last season's MLS Cup run. This group essentially thinks Precourt is the greatest thing since sliced bread and can see no wrong in anything he does.

This first group's fawning spawned a second group, a skeptics group. This group, like most sports fans of most teams around the world is skeptical about ownership. They know that not everything is great. They are skeptical of some decisions that have been made at the club. These can range from personnel, to branding/marketing strategy, to ticket prices, and anything in between. This group sometimes increases the volume on their grievances due to the fact that group one never sees wrong. This is not uncommon in Columbus Crew history. Every few years the Sunshine Brigade needs to be brought kicking and screaming to the side of truth, or at the very least reality.

There is a third group, of which you, Bill, may be a part of that looks at both groups and thinks that each is equally insane.

Sometimes people travel between these groups over the course of a season, month, week, day, or even a given interview. It happens. Sports fans are passionate. At kickoff before every match, I honestly believe the Crew will win. I'm an idiot.

Back to the question of a crappy interview. As stated sports fans are passionate. We root for laundry. Shitty ugly re-branded laundry, but we want to be proud of our team. This extends to all areas of the team. It's why fans care about stadiums, crests, and even our beloved Columbus Crewzers. And while we take pride in our team winning, any time that someone is acting as the face of our organization we want them to act accordingly. The organization has many faces at many times. Sometimes the face is even the fans themselves. That's why people care so much what happens in the Nordecke, or get pissed when bottles are thrown on the field from the Nordecke because in some way it reflects on us all.

So when the owner of the team puts himself out there as the face of the organization, of course there is going to be a higher standard. But even if there wasn't an extreme elevated standard there should be two basic things that you would wish from the owner.

First, obviously...don't insult the fans intelligence. That's our job. We'll insult eachother's intelligence just fine. Thank you.

Second, just don't insult the fans period.

Beyond taste in music (and I defended power ballads and Bittersweet Symphony REPEATEDLY, thank you), clothes, hair product, or whatever else, people want a good product on the field, and people want to see accountability at a team they love. Many have said so repeatedly. They also don't want their intelligence insulted by someone (albeit a very rich and successful someone) who just got here.

That's all.

redi44crew, TRUJDUB, the_rickler and 2 others repped this.
  2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if anyone has info on his taste in oral sex, I'm not interested. And I'm even less interested in finding out how you acquired such knowledge.

3. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #203 Draghignazzo, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    I've already decided it's firsthand knowledge and no amount of reason or evidence will convince me otherwise, because that's simply not as funny.

chr1st and hangthadj repped this.
  4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Firsthand? That's different from oral.

chr1st and Draghignazzo repped this.
  5. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's the secondhand that gets ya!

6. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Jesus. Precourt was right. We are idiots.

CrewV Man, zman31, Jim Bach and 4 others repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we have not always agreed on other points, I think this is a fine summary of your position, and I agree with it wholeheartedly.

8. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    idiot. :)

Draghignazzo, kgilbert78 and chr1st repped this.
  9. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precourt means well. I like him. He hired the wrong guy and gave him way too much power, but at least Precourt cares about how he is doing. Hang finds his need for validation to be weak, but I actually think it's a useful quality. It means we don't have a sociopath running our organization, and for an extremely rich man, not being a sociopath is a nice and rare quality.

But,

I think Precourt's organization is full of dopes at the moment from the tone-deaf twitter author on up to the head coach/technical director. Get back to making the soccer product better and spend less time trying to trick the Stanek's among us that we are playing great soccer now or that our being in 19th place is some random accident.

10. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when we were in that vaunted 19th place. Those were the days.

TRUJDUB, Draghignazzo, josiahp and 3 others repped this.
  11. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    With the addition of two new teams next year, probably one team in each division, that we could end up in 21st place next year!

12. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once team is going to be the first team in the history of MLS to finish 22nd. Let's make sure that's not us.

13. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The love or hate of Precourt and Berhalter is not so black and white. For most of us I think it is more of a spectrum.
    Like 75% sunshine and 15% thunderstorm. Or 25% sunshine and 75% thunderstorm. It all depends on the day and the amount of beer or for some medically prescribed anti-depressants. Or desire to be the first to the opposite. Or anger at skinny guys who shave their head.

14. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey! How are we doing in @Crewster points? Gotta be breaking records. Negative 1000?

15. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    [​IMG]

16. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Captain Picard, ask Data about the concept of a joke. Maybe run the Joe Piscopo holodeck program.

17. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IDK if this is Greeley's most recent interview, but:

AP gets sold here as being 'hands on', and from what I can tell, continues to portray himself as such. So with all due respect for Bill's opinion, unless this image is a complete invention, I think people on this board are well within rights to call out the owner until we have reason to believe this is just for marketing sake. Honestly, at this point, which is worse?

Second, that article makes a big deal about "staying the course." It's viewed as an organizational virtue. "Make the right decisions" and then stand by them. Which completely throws out incorporating new information, accountability, etc. It also leads to "we've decided something so obviously it must be right, let's keep doing the same thing forever..." Boy does that sound familiar.

Finally, why *isn't* Greeley getting hauled before the reporters, save for polishing jobs like that SBD article? Are they just ignoring him? Does he not do anything? Is he that bad at PR?

18. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #218 THOMA GOL, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Greeley is ex-Fire. The result of his work is evident then.....and now.:coffee:

19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    [​IMG]

TRUJDUB, Hamburgler03 and Nostradumass repped this.
  20. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  21. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's really really good, right? Like golf. So we're way under par for the whole season. Nice.

Hamburgler03 and the_rickler repped this.
  22. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I read that quickly as "Joe Pesci holodeck program"

[​IMG]

23. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus

Well I guess I wasnt very far off

24. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Interesting to read this thread back

mateo319 repped this.
  25. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    I really do recommend everyone reread this entire conversation. Then look at the date of the posts and realize what was going on in the background with Austin. Some were really close on what Greeley was doing. I dont want a cookie, but my assumptions on Prec@nt were pretty close......but @Hangdadj.....are you my Mr Robot? Cause you had this puppy nailed.

Is Prec@nt moving not for financial gain but because he doesnt feel loved? Most trust fund kiddies have that problem.