What is our best lineup right now?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Kevin8833, Sep 18, 2008.

1. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    International level? he can't if he is never called up, in the olympics he played well against holland, against nigeria he was forced to play left back, come on now!

2. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    Howard

Cherundolo/ wynne ------ Gooch ----- Edu ------ Boca

------------------------Bradley ----------------------

----- Donovan -------------------------- Beasley

------------------------- Adu ----------------

-------------- Cooper -------------- Altidore

3. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    are you sure that's where you would place adu?

4. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    our best lineups cannot include three at the back. We need to have 4 at the back to have a stable defense, or we'll get cought on the counter attack. I know we need to attack more, but there are good ways of doing that without taking out a defender

5. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought it was because your Mrs. Bradley. You are, no???:rolleyes:

Agreed. In 2002 we were able to because we had Pope and Sanneh, now I believe if we run 3 in the back vs top 10 international caliber, it might be just a little differnt. Although it can't hurt to try it in a friendly.

6. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Great thread Kevin####. I see the Bradley bunch (well at least the leader) chimed in by going negative to start (and of course staying there), throwing out the personal issues that only reflect on themselves. This thread just highlights how vapid and fraught of original or thought provoking input they have.

Anyway here is a line up I would like to see for the next 3 WCQ that are quite frankly as close to meaningless as can be and still be called a match.

----------------Howard--------------
    Dolo----Onyewu----Boca----Pearce
    -------------Edu----Kjestan----------
    Donovan (C)---------------------Lewis
    ------------------Adu-----------------
    -----------------Altidore---------------

Subs:
    Hedjuk
    Beasley
    Johnson
    Holden
    Bornstein

For me it is a mix of experience (at the back) youth (up top) and a mix in the middle. As most know from my posts, the middle is the key. I do not subscribe to writing off 2010. I would like to see if this group could jell into not only getting out of group play but emerging from the knock out rounds and beating someone not from asia or CONCACAF.

7. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Why lewis, the empty bucket, Hedjuk and Johnson?

8. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Lewis for his service and experience.

Hedjuk adds the ability to attack from the rear late in the game when a goal is needed and D has to be swapped out without losing an experienced defender.

Kljestan is the 'bucket buster", he has the talent to attack, Edu has some as well, but IMO Kljestan has even more.

Johnson (and I should have included Chinn) for experience to balance Adu and Altidore.

9. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Fair enough. I wasn't attacking, just asking. I disagree, but what fun would it be if no one disagreed. :)

My lineup for the next 3 qualifiers:

--------Howard/Guzan

Wynne----Onweyu----Edu----Dolo*

------------Bradley--------------
    Holden*-------Adu---------Rogers

---------Donovan*---------------
    ----------------Altidore---------

* = subs
    subs = Beasley for Dolo
    Dempsey for Holden
    Davies for Donovan

Obviously, there is some experimenting here. I want to see if Wynne can play at this level. Can Dolo or Beasley be converted into a LB (not sold on Pearce)? If Edu can shine at CB then that frees up another spot in the middle of the pitch where we have stockpiled various talent. And let's see what Holden and Rogers can do at the Sr. level. Give them some rope to either hang themselves or prove the doubters wrong.

Contrary to what Primetime says, Rogers has not been given Sr. team international experience. Rather, Primetime just asserts that Rogers was bad at the Olympics (against opponents tougher than our Concacaf foes) and that's that. One, I don't think Rogers was as bad as people thought. Two, the Olympics team did not have the same supporting cast as the Sr. team.

Edit: I just looked at the title of the thread. I don't think this is our best lineup right now. I stated the lineup I thought we should use in the next 3 qualifiers.

Best Lineup Now:

-----Howard
    Dolo---Onweyu---Edu---Pearce

--------Bradley--------------

Dempsey ---Adu--------Beasley

------Donovan---------------

---------------Altidore--------

10. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    I do not want to wynne at the senior level until he learns something anything with his first touch. I saw him mutilple times at UCLA where he never progressed. I saw him lately and I still see no techinique. That's almost 5 years, "Come back kid when you can do something with ball under pressure" is what I would tell him.

Yeah that is a lot of experimenting. IMO the defense is fine and set for 2010. It is up the pitch that needs a lot of experimenting. Your right, the next 3 matches is a great time to do it.

11. slickguy2011

slickguy2011 New Member

May 29, 2008
    ............Altidore....
    ....Adu...Donovan..Deuce
    ......Beasley...Bradley
    Pearce..Boca..Gooch...Dolo
    ..............Howard

Altidore - Seems like he is physical enough to get the ball and hold it up the field or is able to receive and score.

Adu - Would cause problems for any defense when running at them or passing/crossing the ball.

Donovan - When he is in the game, he is undoubtedly our best player. If we keep him central, he can run at the defenders as well as make plays.

Deuce - He is able to finish every time if given the opportunity to. He is also very creative and a great passer/crosser of the ball.

Beasley - He has both defensive/offensive abilities and can provide some veteran leadership for Bradley. He can defend when he needs to, but can also get into the attack a lot. Can you imagine the overlapping runs between Beasley/Adu? More importantly is that he can hold/pass the ball extremely well when in form.

Bradley - At this point, he looks better than Edu. Bradley makes rash challenges, but he works hard and makes important plays. He is also learning to distribute/pass with his feet better. When he develops a little more, Bradley will be a great d-midfielder. Plus, he can score.

The backline - I wish Spector was healthy... But this is what he have for now, I suppose. Dolo gets stupid cards, but he gets into the attack. Pearce got beaten a lot if I remember correctly. What I really want to see though(Spector...Subotic...Gooch...Dolo). :rolleyes:

Howard - Timmay! He is legit. He is one of the main reasons why I have confidence in the back.

**What I particularly like about this lineup is that everyone on this roster (except for maybe Howard) is an offensive threat that is able to score. I think this lineup is really balanced as well as an offensive threat.